Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2002 7:30:10 PM EDT
I have been thinking about adding two more specialty rifles to my collection. Both are something a bit different that anything I have. I would just like any opinions from others who may have one or both of these types. Feel free to include any comments, advice and pics if you wish. Perhaps my ideas will help some of you come up with another excuse as to why you need another gun! LOL.

The first is an SA-M7 AK-47. While I have other AK types, none of them are milled or very expensive types. I was thinking about getting one of these and putting a Cobra sight on it. I figure such a set-up would make a nice quick acquistion rifle for use from CQB ranges all the way out to 200 yards or so. Any thoughts on this rifle or sighting system? And do you know of anywhere that would be a better place to buy from than Tennessee Guns?

The second rifle project in the back of my mind centers around a small, lightweight centerfire design. I am leaning toward the Remington Model 7 in either .223 or .243 calibers. I like to go hiking and being I am in the country where mountain lions, coyotes, wild dogs and even black bears could be encountered, I would prefer having some type of long gun over a pistol. But in order to have something I would be willing to pack into the mountains on a regular basis it must be compact and lightweight. To do this I must sacrifice caliber size to get something I want that doesn't kick like a mule. I am leaning toward a .243 and probably a Tasco or Leopold 2-7x40 scope. Again, what's your opinion of this rifle?

Any recommendations would be appreciated and I hope my questions as of late are interesting ones as I have been on an asking spree! Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want to pack while hiking I would go with a large caliber pistol. Black bears are not really an issue. Like Aimless said, they are more often than not sissies. If something like a dog, cougar or coyote attacks it will be at close range and you'll need something with massive stopping power. NOT a .223 or .243 rifle. Unless you're using it as a club.

I live in the Sierras and know lots of people that ride their horses in the mtns. Revolvers are the firearm of choice for mountain lions and wild dogs.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Oops, I should have stated that the sidearm is always with me anyway. Either a .357 or a .45 caliber. I was just looking to add something lightweight that would allow me to stop a potential attack sooner...before the critter is 10 feet from me! I think a .243 with 100 gr. SP or one of the better ballistic tip choices would serve the purpose well enough. I mean if it can drop a deer in it's tracks it should be able to handle dogs, coyotes and mountain lions. It will be carried on a sling anyway, so should I need a gun for a fast attacking animal....the old .357 will be on my hip. I once twarted an attack by a pack of wild dogs by firing a couple of warning shots. Good thing I had a gun or else I would have been dinner that day. But they didn't seem all that frightened by my pistol shots. That's why I want something that will reach out and touch em just in case I sense an attack is imminent. Stop it before it gets started so to speak.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not go with a Lever Action?

not too expensive -$300-$600

Nice choice of calibers - .45 ACP thru .450 Marlin(BIG holes - 500 grain bullets at 2100 fps)

Don't weigh too much

Fast on target

Surprisingly accurate (most under 2 inches at 100 yds., some about an inch groups)

And I DEFIANTLY wouldn't want to be on the receiving end
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 11:31:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with SKS B.,
I own a older WIN. MOD 94, It's a .375 H&H,it's not very good long range.It does the job on ANYTHING up to 100 yds. It has a heavy recoil though.(KILLs with one end-Cripples on the other)
You might consider a lever action in .44,.444,or.45,.357/.38 too.
I bought this rifle about 17 yrs ago thinking I'd use it for moose or elk up north,I never made the trip/hunt,but I've not lost hope that it will make the hunt with another family member someday.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 12:48:51 AM EDT
[#6]
The model 7 is a great rifle. Either the .223 or .243 would drop a mountain lion. Both more powerful than any handgun. You would have to make that first shot count though! Difficult in a high stress situation. The .243 is more versatile, and is my favorite on Deer sized game. Load it with a quality bullet,(Barnes, Nosler Partition, Sierra GameKing), no worries. The .243 is often maligned as being marginal on Deer sized game, but the fact is that it kills well. The .308 needs no introduction, but it's recoil in such a light rifle would be stout. The 7mm-08 and .260 are also great rounds, but hard to find commercial loadings.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 10:47:59 AM EDT
[#7]
mmmmm, sexy...........

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top