Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2002 5:53:58 PM EDT
It seems that Russia is going to replace their AK series weapons with an entirely new design.
The new Rifle is called the AN94 Abakan.

For a Larger PictureClick Here

The first public appearance of the Abakan rifle took place in May 1993 in Nizhny Novgorod at an exclusive arms exhibition.  

AN-94, stock extended, right side.

Before that the weapon was shown to limited number of people - to either Russian technical experts or to the Government VIPs. Soon after the show a number of articles emerged in several Western publications. To our opinion, the features offered scarce information. No wonder - the Abakan was still under the cover of secrecy.
Let the reader allow me a short break. I’d like to stop awhile and make a comment. Why "Abakan" ? Some authors, writing their versions of the AN-94 genesis claim that the type-name "Abakan" was given to the entire contest program because most tests were carried out at the town of Abakan located in Siberia. I’d like to leave such suppositions to the expertise of such writers. The only thing I’d like to mention is that there are no, more or less appropriate, shooting facilities in that town, at least not that I know. So, what’s the logic then ? - an inquisitive reader may ask. No logic at all ! It is just a tradition among the Russian military to give code names to their contest programs and weapons. Some of them got names after geographical locations, mountains, rivers, etc. Just see for yourselves : Shilka is the name of a river in Siberia and the type-name of the AA artillery installation. "Abakan" is one such instance. But to return.
The most prominent detail in its exterior is the extensive application of synthetic material (glassfiber-reinforced polyamide). An all-plastic stock extends from the folding buttend to a foregrip. Further, there is what appears to be an underbarrel gas tube. In reality it is a stock extension rod with a firing unit guiding rail and an underbarrel grenade launcher mount.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 6:06:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 6:08:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 6:23:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey, cut and paste your other threads into this one, then delete those.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:13:24 PM EDT
[#9]
It's always polite to cite the source of your info.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I know it is black an evil looking, but it sure is ugly!

Does anyone else think it is one ugly firearm?

I do like the idea of variable cyclic rate.

medcop
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 8:32:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I know it is black an evil looking, but it sure is ugly!

Does anyone else think it is one ugly firearm?

I do like the idea of variable cyclic rate.

medcop

VERY ugly!
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 8:38:06 AM EDT
[#12]
There was an article about this in small arms review a few months ago.

It uses the low-recoil 5.45x39 cartridge (recoil is on par with 5.56mm)

The idea is to have it fire a 3 shot burst at a very high cyclic rate (1800 rpm) so that all 3 rounds are downrange and on target before you feel the recoil of the first shot.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Revolutionary design, and it is consider by some as the best production military automatic rifle in the world at this time.  Although is was adapted by the Russian military, but the funds aren't available to manufacture and supply the army with the gun.  As far as the AK series is concern it will be in service for awhile.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top