Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2002 1:46:43 PM EDT
y do some lowers have a hole on the raised mag release protection bar right below the ejection port?  mine (oly) doesn't have it but I've seen it on many lowers, like BMs.

also what's the purpose of the forward assist?  (I've never had to use it, yet)
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
y do some lowers have a hole on the raised mag release protection bar right below the ejection port?  mine (oly) doesn't have it but I've seen it on many lowers, like BMs.

hole? there's a hole in my BM lower?
the forward assist is to help chamber a balky round. some folks think if you need it, you're about to have equipment failure, and some advocate its' use to quietly chamber rounds. ive never used mine, but if i needed it, i'd  durn sure use it and be glad it was there.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#2]
how will u know if u need the assistance of the forward assist???  yes, there is a hole in your BM lower =)  what for?  I don't know...
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 2:02:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Can someone explain how to quietly chamber a round with the forward assist?

do you press it, then release the bolt catch, then slowly release the forward assist so it will drag, then use the forward assist to seat the cartridge?
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
how will u know if u need the assistance of the forward assist???

The bolt will not go into close completly.

You are better off not using the forward assist any way.

You should remove that round and cycle a new one.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 2:20:54 PM EDT
[#5]
As far as the hole is concerned, I think you're refering to the lubrication/vent hole that intersects the front takedown pin detent hole. It's for the purpose of allowing the spring to be oiled and allowing moisturw that might seep in to escape. This was something that was a product of experiances in Viet Nam(plenty wet there)during the earlier years of the the M16 and M16-A1.
The forward assist was also developed during that time period. In that enviornment and with the troops not really properly trained to maintain the new rifle, failures to fully chamber were common. The FA was designed to allow a stubborn round to be seated during an engagement without having to take the rifle apart to fix the problem.

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 2:31:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

do you press it, then release the bolt catch, then slowly release the forward assist so it will drag, then use the forward assist to seat the cartridge?

holding the charging handle back, press the bolt release. slowly allow the bolt to close by easing the charging handle forward. when the bolt is all the way forward, punch the assist once to be sure it fully closes. result is a chambered round without the slamming noise.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#7]
To quietly seat a round you would pull charging handle to the rear and instead of releasing it producing that "chink, WHAP" sound it eases it into the chamber.  As it was not designed to be operated this way, it does not usually seat the round fully in the chamber.  You would then shove the FA, seating the round with much less noise.  IMHO, if you are in a situation where you need to quietly chamber a round, you should already have one in the chamber.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You dont. The gun is designed to load at the rate the buffer spring permits it. If you need to load quietly you should have been already loaded and ready to go. You need to only have to hit your safety selector.
GG
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 2:55:16 PM EDT
[#9]
well, just a few days ago whyle shooting my Colt AR, i pulled the charging handle part way back to check if a round had chambered (it did, was having a feeding problem), i released the handle & the bolt didn't lock so i just pushed in on the FA, no big deal, i do it all the tyme, do none of you check your chamber if you suspect a feeding prob. due to a bad mag. ?? or have none of you ever had a bad mag. ?????
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I tried to use it once. I reload 556 ammo, and appearently one didn't re-sized correctly, anyway the round wouldn't chamber, I tried to used the FA to chmber the round, but all it did was make it impossible to pull the charging handle back.  You have ot use the dynamic chargning handle technique by banging the buttstock on a block of wood and pulling the charging handle to eject the round.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I never noticed the little hole on my Bushy until you bought it up "ttman". Heh, when I read what I just wrote it sounds kind of erotic. Think I'll go see what the wifes doing.

Link Posted: 5/8/2002 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#12]
makes sense, as well as the other replies re the FA.  although I have to admit I don't like that little hole =)

Quoted:
As far as the hole is concerned, I think you're refering to the lubrication/vent hole that intersects the front takedown pin detent hole. It's for the purpose of allowing the spring to be oiled and allowing moisturw that might seep in to escape. This was something that was a product of experiances in Viet Nam(plenty wet there)during the earlier years of the the M16 and M16-A1.
The forward assist was also developed during that time period. In that enviornment and with the troops not really properly trained to maintain the new rifle, failures to fully chamber were common. The FA was designed to allow a stubborn round to be seated during an engagement without having to take the rifle apart to fix the problem.

Don in Ohio

Link Posted: 5/8/2002 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#13]
The story I have on the forward assist, is the first AR-16/M-16 had no need of a forward assist, since the theory was a round that failed to load should not be forced in, jamming the weapon.  A defective round should be cleared, and a new one loaded.  This worked fine for the Air Force and all the early military rifles.
Some "Old Line" Army General in ordnance just said that "The Army WILL NOT adopt any rifle without a method of forcing the bolt open or closed".  So, since he had the "muscle", everyone saluted and added the forward assist.
There was no other reason than that one man's order.
I read this some years ago in a document about the early days of the M-16 program.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#14]
the story & full gory details about the FA is in the "Black Rifle" & other AR-15 books.......
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#15]
The only time I've used the FA is with a "press check." Pull the charging handle back far enought to see the brass in the chamber, then release, using the forward assist to seat the round. Used to make sure you are ready at the line.  Nothing more embarassing then starting a drill with a "click" instead of a "bang," except maybe forgetting to turn on your aimpoint or leaving the covers on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top