Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2002 7:41:18 AM EDT
I'm looking at getting an M1A relatively soon, but I've heard mixed reviews about their quality from Springfield Armory. What are all your opinions of this gun? I would like to hear from the people that actually own it, or have used one. I was just going to purchase the standard model, as accuracy isn't all *that* important (ie I'm no sniper). I would just like it as a hunting and target shooting gun (no tournaments), as I have always wanted one. Any thought and/or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 7:47:42 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm looking at getting an M1A relatively soon, but I've heard mixed reviews about their quality from Springfield Armory. What are all your opinions of this gun? I would like to hear from the people that actually own it, or have used one. I was just going to purchase the standard model, as accuracy isn't all *that* important (ie I'm no sniper). I would just like it as a hunting and target shooting gun (no tournaments), as I have always wanted one. Any thought and/or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I don't know who would say anything negative about the quality of them.  Mine has not failed for any reason at all since I bought it nib.  I've only put about 3000 rnds through it, but have not had one single failure of any sort.  Fit and finish was first rate.  The ONLY complaint I have is that the etched markings on the elevation knob are very hard to read and should be better marked.

Get it, you won't regret it!
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 7:56:34 AM EDT
[#2]
The only complaint I've had with them was in March I bought a M1A with composite stock, when it came in the stock was cracked on the bottom of the handguards toward the front - about 4" long.  i sent it back to them and finally got it back... 2 months later.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#3]
No problems on this end. I have a standard model with a composite stock.
GIB
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a loaded and could not be happier with it. Actually I will be looking for a standard in the near future to keep it company.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 12:05:27 PM EDT
[#5]
J_Money,

Had mine for a couple years w/no problems. It's a nice rifle to shoot.

Invitation still stands. If you want to meet me at Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (East side of I-5 south of Hwy 34 exit) you are welcome to put some rounds through mine.

NMSight
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't own one, but I shoot my AR in competition, and the M1A (when modified) is well respected for this. The M1A is a quality weapon. One negative point is that the M1A uses a cast receiver. Real M-14s use forged receivers. I'me not sure that this makes a difference, but some argue that it does. I.e., some M1As might be weak due to their construction. The excellent track record of M1A's suggests to me that this isn't a problem.

On accuracy: M1As (and M14s and M21s) are at best .75 moa (more usually 1 moa) rifles (average of several ten shot groups). This is also true of M1 Garands. This is due to all the furniture hanging on the rifle. This is excellent accuracy, but it is short of that that can be attained by a bolt rifle or AR. Accuracy work on M1As is also expensive compared to bolt guns and ARs. And they tend to loose their accuracy more quickly, requiring rework sooner to maintain top accuracy. I know this isn't what you asked about, but you might as well know . . .
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#7]
J.money,
I purchased my M1A1 at one of those dreaded  gun shows at the beginning of this year for the same reasons that you just stated.
I bought the basic G.I. 2 moa chrome lined barrel, with black synthetic stock and a rubber but plate.
I paid about $1050.00 plus tax. I sent in the coupon for their $99.00 scope and mount set-up.
I carried the rifle in the trunk of my patrol car after 9-11, and I have to say that having that big boy around sure made me feel a lot better.
I have no real substantial complaints about this rifle. However, I’m sure that you’ll hear a lot of cry babies, who really can’t stomach the price tag in my view, complain about everything and try to convince you that their $600.00 5.56mm squirrel gun does the same thing if not better than a 308. Go figure!
If you ever want to be entertained with the shear nonsense of a non issue then read some of the previously posted debates on 308 vs. 223.
In the mean time enjoy the rifle, it’s a great shooter.

Take care!

TroDog

Link Posted: 5/8/2002 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got one since '89. Paid my money and took it home right then and there. Almost didn't get it in the door and pass the wife, but I made it. 20rd GI magazines are going to be kinda expensive, but I bought a bunch of Red Chinese ones, and they seem to work okay, the kind without any markings. Well worth the money. There are 5 & 10rd mags available for hunting. I recommend the 10 with a wooden block spacer, becuase the true 5rd ones fit flush in the mag well and real tough to get out. Check out the Fulton Armory website for additional info on M1As www.fulton-armory.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top