Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2002 9:25:35 PM EDT
I have heard the term barrel trunion used in reference to many guns, but I don't have a very good idea as to what the part is specifically.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#1]
The trunion is the block that the bolt locks into and which the barrel is retained. The steel trunion allow the use of other metals to be used in the receiver, due to the trunion retaining the bolt, and not the weaker receiver.

On a HK or an AKM type rifle, the block/trunion is welded/riveted to a sheet metal receiver allowing the weapon to be produce cheaply due to the receiver not being required to be milled, nor take the force of the fired round being directly transferred to the receiver.

In regards to an AR-15, you can think of it as the locking lugs, that are attached directly to the barrel, not the receiver. The bolt, when locked up, is retained by the steel lugs/trunion, and not the weaker aluminum receiver.

With the use of a trunion, The receiver simple becomes a bolt guide and a platform for attachment such as the sights and fire control group, instead of the retention of the 50,000+ psi that is exerted when the round is fired.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:44:49 PM EDT
[#2]
So, in AR parlance the barrel extension is basically the trunion?
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 11:10:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:54:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Part 1 is the barrel trunion that is riveted into the receiver.  Part 3 is the sight trunion.

If you have a photo of a HK parts kit, the trunion will be the block that is attached to the barrel, used to lock up the bolt to the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#7]
WOW. Hey Troy, where did you get that picture?

CampyBoB: Is there a book I can buy that will teach me how to work on my AK variant, disassemble it, etc., just like those armorer's books I can get for my AR-15?

themao
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top