Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2002 2:23:32 PM EDT
I know that has been covered before but I could not find anything on a quick search.

Given the following hypothetical situation: You want to permanently attach a 870 to the underside of a rifle.
1) If the shotgun now contains no grip handle and is permanently attached to a rifle that meets all barrel and total length requirements; does the shotgun still need to comply to the barrel length and total length restrictions as when it were in it's lonesome?
In other words; can a person legally attach (permanently) a <20" barreled pump shotgun with no stock or grip underneith a rifle aka M203 style?

I assume that you must retain the firearm to it's general length requirements because it is considered a separate firearm (has its own trigger/receiver) as compared to the mothergun (AR), but I could not find the law stated anywhere.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 2:33:53 PM EDT
[#1]
You can attach a shotgun under the barrel as long as the barrel requirements for the shotgun are still met.  You can attach a 18" without registering the shotgun as a short barrel shotgun.  Once you add it under the AR it is considered to once again have a stock and the overall length still applies.  However, you should not have any trouble with the overall length if it is going under an AR.

Basically what I would do is register the shotgun as a short barrel shotgun and mount it under the barrel of an AR.

However, you don't have to do this, but the shotgun barrel will stick out past the AR barrel if left the legal 18"

Hope this helps

medcop
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#2]

I thought about that too!!hacko.gif How would you attach it to the AR?
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#3]
It's called the masterkey, its a sawed off 870 that goes on just like the m203. I've seen them for like 500 dollars or so? Not sure, kinda funny looking if you ask me, but more logical than the wanna be 37 mm. Unless of course you got the money for a real m203.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#4]
There is a comercial AR to shotgun mount out there. I cant seem to find the link right now but from what i remember they were selling in the $900 range. I kicked this idea around awhile back and the cheapest way to mount this that i could think of would be to drill&Tap the shotgun for a scope rail. Attach the rail and a scope ring that would go around the AR barrel. You would have to cut a notch out of the Hand gaurds to allow the ring to fit thrue. Then do the same only reversed on the front of the barrel by installing a gas block with a quad rail mount. Then attach a scope ring to that and mount the barrel of the shotgun in the ring where a scope would go.

Did that make any sense to anyone?
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It's called the masterkey, its a sawed off 870 that goes on just like the m203. I've seen them for like 500 dollars or so? Not sure, kinda funny looking if you ask me, but more logical than the wanna be 37 mm. Unless of course you got the money for a real m203.

yeah but the master key is designed around shooting locks off doors and isnt worth a damn in regular shotgun loads. whatever floats your boat i guess
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top