Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2002 3:48:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 4:23:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 6:05:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I pretty much agree with Raf on desirability, but doubt that you're going to get a choice of manufacturer on a DCM M1. Unless things have changed under the new civilian administration, they'll probably send what's on top of the pile.

Though I don't know for sure, my hunch is that you're most likely to get an IHC or H&R rifle on a DCM random selection order.  These were the last M1s made, during and just after the Korean war, and were the most likely to have been the last withdrawn from service. They are also the most likely to have the original barrel, since we were using non corrosive ammo during most of their service life.  Nearly all the SA and Winchester made WW11 pieces were rebarrelled at Springfield Armory during the late '40s and early '50s.  When I was a kid in Sprigfield, during the Korean War era the Armory had a dumping ground adjacent to a park we played in.  We used to go into the area, pick up shot out barrels and cracked stocks from the rebuilds, tape them together and play "WAR".  Great fun

Good luck with your project.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 6:11:38 AM EDT
[#3]

I pretty much agree with Raf on desirability, but doubt that you're going to get a choice of manufacturer on a DCM M1. Unless things have changed under the new civilian administration, they'll probably send what's on top of the pile.

Yes, things have changed. For the base price ($500), you get a Springfield and there seems to be a 50/50 chance that you'll get a WWII or high numbered gun. For a little more, you can get an H&R and a little more gets you an IHC, etc. They've been honoring REASONABLE informal requests for a long time, so no big deal.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 10:51:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm being lazy but does anyone have any links to any M1 Garand Discussion Forums?

www.jouster.com
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 12:15:27 PM EDT
[#6]
www.battlerifles.com
www.milsurpshooter.net
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an excellent ex-South Vietnamese M1 made by Springfield Armory: Never fired, and only dropped once... I replaced the stock with a Fajen copy (no longer available), and it's near perfect.

FITTER out
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

1)Which brand name to get?
Springfield Armory, Harrington & Richardson, International Harvester, or Winchester? Pros/Cons?

All Winchester were made during WW2. For this reason, some prefer Winchester. I have heard that Winchester quality wasn't as good as the others, but that the difference was very, very minor . . .

All H&R and IH are post-WW2. H&R and IH had trouble with their contracts (meeting production numbers, I believe . . .), but from what I've heard their quality was excellent . . .

SA cranked out M-1s the whole time.

I have a WW2 (1942) SA. Woundn't mind a IH, so I could get a Scout to go along with it . . .

Link Posted: 5/6/2002 12:58:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 5:36:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Wave,

Just get you a rack grade.  Heck, a rack grade Dane.  I've heard nothing but good things about the Danish Garands... they were well cared for.  If you're gonna drop 6 bills for a rebuild later (which includes rebarreling, correct?), just get a rack grade.  The BBLs are pretty worn, but not completly shot out, and you're gonna replace it anyway.  Save a few bux.  I may go that route too later on.

Link Posted: 5/6/2002 10:14:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I pretty much agree with M1QJ.

If you're going to rebuild it anyway, get a rack or service grade.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I agree with the past few posts.

Get a Danish M1 - because you'll be almost certain to get a WW-II era rigle.  It will most likely have a newer barrel (made by Beretta).

Link Posted: 5/6/2002 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd go with a rack grade Danish if you are planning on having it reworked.  If rebarrelling isn't in the Orion package you want, get a Danish Service Grade and opt for the Springfield receiver.

My read of your situation is that collectability isn't as important as shootability.  In that case a Springfield Danish in either Rack or SG is your best option. Some of the Danish have exceptional barrels, some are darned near match grade (those are likely to show up in the Service Grades.)

The choice of Winchester, IHC, HRA or Springfield is only pertinent to those who get worked up over the Chevy vs. Ford type arguments and collectors.  Quality is mil-spec. across the board.  Late number HRA's and Springfields may be in newer condition.

The Danish Beech stocks are ugly and cannot be easily redeemed.  Beech is a tough, wear resistant wood, but also absorbs atmospheric moisture like a sponge.  When it does it "moves," nofinishing method short of epoxy impregnating this wood will immobilize it from weather related movement.  Obviously this sort of instability is bad for precision shooting...for combat shooting it isn't a big deal though, it'll still shoot minute of enemy.

Once you re-park a rifle, regardless of the originality of the parts, you've devalued it somewhat.  For a collector, the holy grail is an as-issued rifle with all original parts, all original finish.  BY original I mean that all the parts are the same exact parts as were on the rifle when it first entered government service.  These rifles are rare as hen's teeth.  They are usually rack queens that were never sent to a combat zone or otherwise received GI handling. Otherwise parts are likely to be changed out.  The next best thing is a fully restored rifle wherein it has been restored to have all parts freom the proper manufacturers and drawing revisions and dates for that serial number rifle.  This can be all but impossible to accomplish with rare rifles like IHC's and Winchesters.

Actually I amend this:  The absolute holy grail of M1 collecting is an original gas trap (The first M1 gas system), but there is no way, no how you will ever get one from the CMP.

Those who claim that an M1's value will not be harmed by refinishing either the wood or the metal know little about antiques and collecting in ernest.  Collector value is always enhanced by original finish, the better the original finish, the more value, but a worn original finish will be worth more than a nice-refinish job because it is closer to original condition, materials etc. It provides a better, more accurate look at how rifles were made, finished and maintained at the time, and not the fashion for restoration and refinishing in the late twentieth and early 21st century.

Enough of that. You, like most of us, are most likely a casual hobbyist who just wants an M1 for your own personal "collection" rather than for investment purposes.  In that case, have at it and refinish it for your use.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 1:06:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 9:38:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top