Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2002 5:10:23 PM EDT
OK boys and girls for the last time!
I'll say it again.
If you are going to carry a handgun in your car's glove box in the state of Florida, PLEASE remove your registration and insurance card from the glove box and carry these items some place else!
As a 19 year Police veteran working the road in South Florida I am getting VERY TIRED of the following: When you are stopped for any reason please DO NOT, DO F***ing not reach into your glove box, remove your lawfully carried, loaded handgun, placing it on your seat, and then start digging for your registration, and insurance card; all the while asking ME what the problem IS?
YES, I know that I AM SUPERMAN and can catch bullets with my teeth, but Superman is getting pretty damn tired of good lawful handgun people making the same STUPID IDIOTIC F-UP.
If you are going to carry your handgun in your glove box, PLEASE REMEMBER to REMOVE your registration and insurance papers from the glove box.
I'm afraid that if this behavior continues, I'm going to have to drop test your favorite toy, realign your sights, bend your firing pin, and loosen your magazine floor plate.
I know that this sounds harsh, but I'm tired of telling you kids the same damn thing over and over again.  
You all take GOOD CARE!
TroDog
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Holy Crap.
What an idiot I am. I used to do that sometimes in my old Firebird. I usually carry on my person but sometimes put it in the console with my paperwork. I swear it never occured to me what you are saying. The old 'bird didnt have a real glovebox but my new one does- thats where the reg/ins. goes now. The console is free for the firearm although it still is usually on my person.
Thanks for the heads up.And thanks for respecting the legal rights of us to bear arms.
BP
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah man, doing what TroDog talked about will make a regular traffic stop turn sour really fast.

and as Captain said it is probally best to keep it on your person or in the console ;o
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#3]
so i guess clipping my driver's license to my holster is a bad idea too?

ian
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 7:58:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe someone needs a different job.

Biggame223

Out
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:09:44 PM EDT
[#5]
You know, I actually had people give this to me as an excuse why they didn't carry a gun in their car..."Well, what if I get pulled over and have to go into my glove compartment for my registration?"
I'm like...HELLO???  Carry the frigging registration in your wallet or your visor!
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 7:46:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been putting my DL and insurance papers in that convenient little storage area in the butt of my AR.

I also had the slide of my 1911 imprinted with my SS#.

They don't like me at the DPS office when I go for DL renewal.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 10:47:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Tro, if you are that nervous about it do what the Michigan State Police do, get a small revolver in the same caliber as your duty auto, and have a special holster sewn into your left front pants pocket.
Then you can have your left hand on your back-up with the barrel pointed at the drivers head the entire stop.
Or you could stop giving traffic tickets.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Tro, if you are that nervous about it do what the Michigan State Police do, get a small revolver in the same caliber as your duty auto, and have a special holster sewn into your left front pants pocket.

BTW, they just stopped doing that.
i thought that was some big LEO secret, how did you know that?
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like good advice...never thought of it that way.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I just wanted to check again, but you don;t need a CCL to carry a gun in your glove box or enclosed center counsel in FL correct?

What about TX?
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 3:02:43 PM EDT
[#12]
For those sniping at TroDog for being 'nervous', get a life.  You go out there and do his job.  

I personally keep my reg and ins in my wallet.  In the car anywhere means a thief might be able to BS his way through a stop if he has those.  Besides, I am less likely to lose them if I keep them in my wallet.  I also like to have them in hand before the officer walks up to the car and also have the inside lights on at night.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My advice is that if you choose to secure your handgun in the glove compartment and still prefer to keep your registration in there also YOU SHOULD warn the officer that you have a firearm in the glove box so he can choose the level of pre-caution needed.

Exactly
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 3:26:57 PM EDT
[#14]
When i stop someone and they say ''officer i have a gun in the car''. they always look real serious waiting for my harsh reaction. then i just look at them and say, your not going to shoot me with it are you? they look at me for a second and after i smile they usually laugh and say no and i go finnish whatever im doing. the people that tell you they have gun usualy arent the ones you have to worry about.

tnrifleman
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I just wanted to check again, but you don't need a CCL to carry a gun in your glove box or enclosed center counsel in FL correct?

It's console, but yes, that's correct.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 5:06:19 PM EDT
[#16]
WOW!
Where to begin?
For starters one should take good friendly advice as friendly.
I didn't mention writing anyone a traffic citation, my nerves are just fine and pointing a small handgun at some ones head is a bit extreme not to mention illegal. Looking for another job is always a good idea, but I still love my country and I'm willing to protect it and serve it as a police officer thank you anyway.
Yes you can carry a handgun in the state of Florida as long as it is securely encased and not readily available.(it can not be on your lap)
I have always been a firm supporter of a persons right, and also duty, to be armed.
However, we can't loose our common sense, and then expect the gun grabbers to sympathize with us latter. They will use any mistake that we make as an alarm to further their cause.
SO, I give some FRIENDLY ADVISE to the wise who will listen. To those who do not listen, enjoy your bondage.
There are a few of us in law enforcement who still believe in a strong well armed citizenry.
You all take good care.
TroDog

PS. I keep getting an error message from the spell checker! Whats up doc?  
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Where do you begin?  I suggest you begin with the Second Ammendment of the Constitution of the United States of America.  After you read that, you might want to read the Statutes of the State of Florida.  I have a Concealed Weapon Licence.  I decide where I will carry my pistol in my car or anywhere else, for that matter.  You don't!
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't think the problem is WHERE you carry your pistol in your car. The problem comes when the nice officer that just stopped you to tell you your brake lights are out and sees you reaching into your glove box containing a firearm. You couldn't pay me enough to be a LEO, so make their job a little less stress free and maybe not get dusted in the process.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Where do you begin?  I suggest you begin with the Second Ammendment of the Constitution of the United States of America.  After you read that, you might want to read the Statutes of the State of Florida.  I have a Concealed Weapon Licence.  I decide where I will carry my pistol in my car or anywhere else, for that matter.  You don't!

I guess a word to the wise is sufficient...and to the otherwise, nothing is sufficient.
Jesus Christ, the man was just trying to give some good advice.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

However, if you don't have a carry license, you must carry it as described above.  Lighten up.  I bet you wouldn't run your mouth like that if he had you pulled over.  All he is talking about is reaching in where it is without telling him.  You try being a cop and deal with the scum he does.  I think he was trying to make stops easier for both parties.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 8:38:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Sounds like common sense advice to me. I figure if you pull a gun out of anywhere during a traffic stop you run a risk of getting shot. Haven't been through it but I hear it hurts.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Seems the officer is giving good advice. I had a car with a pistol in the center console, got stopped, reached into the console and the officer put the light on to see what I was reaching for. Fortunately the top of the console cast a shadow on the model 10 I had in it. He never saw it. I remember thinking as soon as he put the light on, Sh-- I should have told him there was a gun in the vehicle. I got away with it that time. I always hand the officer my drivers license and ccw at the same time. I also keep my hands where he can see them until he is sure of what he wants me to do about the gun. I don't want to be shot by a cop trying to do his job thinking his life is in danger. I'll pay the ticket, go to traffic school and avoid being killed for stupidity.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 2:00:40 AM EDT
[#23]
My regs are in my glove compartment right under my HS2000.  I figured if I ever get pulled over, I can go ahead and get the regs and license out and ready while the cop is running my license plate and calling the swat team, or whatever it is they do for the 5 or so minutes before actually walking up to my car.  If for some reason I forget to pull it out, or he comes up quickly, I can just hand him my license and CCW and tell him that my regs are in the glove box with my firearm.  Seems simple enough to me....
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 3:34:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Mr. jsragman,
I am very familiar with the second amendment as a member of the N.R.A. and several other shooting organizations in south Florida.
I am also very familiar with the Florida State Statutes as are many other law enforcement officers in this state.
As for your statement, "I decide where I will  carry my pistol in my car or anywhere else for that matter, not you."
I agree with you in theory, but we have to live with the current situation until the laws are changed to see things our way or the second amendments way as it was originally intended.
My advise was FRIENDLY, not ADVERSARIAL. HOWEVER, should YOU or anyone else (Bin Laden) decide that our laws do not apply to your situation then YOU will find yourself in a very uncomfortable position.
Good luck with your ignorance.

TroDog      
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:49:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Yup, you are absolutely correct.

Remember you righteous indignation when you start digging around in that glove compartment and the officer sees you trying to show off your gun, he'll probably want to show you his gun too.  

Why would anyone want to carry a gun in an obvious place? It would seem to me a center console, glove comaprtment etc. would also be the first place a thief would look, or the car wash attendant, the jiffy lube guy, or whatever.

Stuff that people have difficulty finding is much tougher to steal or in case you have to use your gun, figure out what you are trying to get/do.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 6:05:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Whenever I get pulled over...  err...  I mean if I were to get pulled over ;) I usually...  err...  would probably have gotten my registration and insurance out from under my paperweight (.45) and had them on the passenger seat ready to hand the officer.

I don't think I've ever really seen an officer jump right out of his car and run up to the driver's window. Of course, after I get those documents ready, I put my hands on top of the steering wheel in plain view.

Of course, if you had to really reach to get to your glove compartment, it might not look good if the officer saw you fidgeting around while he was running your plates. I don't know. Tell me if my approach seems reasonable :)
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 6:20:10 AM EDT
[#27]
I've got an even better reason for not using the glove copmpartment----if you need the weapon in a hurry, you could be dead before you reach it.  If you don't want to carry it on your person, find somewhere closer than the glove compartment to stash it, and yes, tell the officer you have a weapon in the car and give him your CCW permit along with your drivers license and registration papers. He will probably (and should) ask you to keep your hands in plain sight, even up to having you hold them out the window.  He's just taking care of his own safety.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 6:40:25 AM EDT
[#28]
When you get pulled over, your license, insurance, CHL* and registration* should be in your hand.  Hands up where the officer can see them.  Window down.  Gun stored safely away.  If it's dark out, interior light should be on.  Be courteous and cooperative.  All others deserve to get what's coming to them.

*In Texas, if you have a CHL, you're required to present it with your license whether you're carrying or not.  Also in TX, registration is a sticker on the windshield, so you can't hold it in your hand.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

In FL, unless you have a Concealed Weapons License, the law requires you to carry it in a location which requires two actions to get at the weapon.  The most practical being a glove box (established by case law, btw), and a console with a lid.  If you have a CWL, then you may carry it anywhere, but in your lap or on a seat still is not a good idea.  When the officer asks for your drivers license and registration, hand him/her the CWL with it. From the course required for the CWL.

I'd also like to add:  I used to live in NJ.  Consequently (and logically) I thought of 90%+ of cops as scumbags.  I now live in FL and found the guys here a good bunch, and my proportions are greatly reversed - like 99% OK.  SO, if you give a FL cop trouble and get some back, I for one would be pretty sure you got what you deserved.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I've got an even better reason for not using the glove copmpartment----if you need the weapon in a hurry, you could be dead before you reach it.  If you don't want to carry it on your person, find somewhere closer than the glove compartment to stash it, and yes, tell the officer you have a weapon in the car and give him your CCW permit along with your drivers license and registration papers.

Thing is, you don't NEED a CCW to carry a loaded handgun in your glove compartment in Florida, which was the point of this thread.  So for those who don't have a FL CCW and still want to carry a gun in their car, the glove compartment is a very good option.  The sensible thing to do would be to simply keep your registration and insurance card either in your wallet or attached to your sun visor.
Also, I totally disagree with notifying the officer that there is a gun in the car.  Sure, it may amount to nothing, but it very well may turn a simple five minute speeding ticket into an hour long ordeal.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 11:19:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I just wanted to check again, but you don;t need a CCL to carry a gun in your glove box or enclosed center counsel in FL correct?

What about TX?

IIRC, in TX, having it in your glove-box is considered concealment, and is only lawful if you're licenses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top