Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2002 12:31:05 PM EDT
I am sure you have seen the story of the Canadian sniper that made a 2,430 meter shot in Afghanistan.....anybody know how much a 50 BMG projectile will drop at 2,430 meters?

I just gotta know.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:48:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Dont know for sure but, I'd bet close to -800 in.

edited to say;
I stand corrected.
www.gunnery.net/warwagon/50bmg.htm
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:51:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Might try asking over at FCSA.ORG
            Foldemfast
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#3]
670 gr .50 cal drops 1267.04 inches at 1500 yards, and takes just over 3 seconds to get there.

My tables don't go over 1500, sorry.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
670 gr .50 cal drops 1267.04 inches at 1500 yards, and takes just over 3 seconds to get there.

My tables don't go over 1500, sorry.

Wow, thats 105.586 feet!
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Now I am really interested.

What table do you have there Citadel?

Ok, if we extrapolate Citadel's numbers (I know thats not accurate, the actual drop will be MUCH worse)the drop at 2,400'ish meters will be 2,200 inches or 183 feet!!!

I have never shot past 300 yards. Do you guys think this reported shot is even possible....how do you compensate that amount of elevation with the scope???

I wont even talk about wind drift.

I aint saying it didnt happen, I just want to know how.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:02:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Purely a lucky shot!
But the better you are, the more often you get lucky.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, checking in again, it's from a .408 Cheytac brochure comparing the remarkable .408 to other cartridges.  I should have read it a little more carefully, though, it assumes a path starting 2.5" below the line of sight, so subtract that, as it's not really drop.

The chart claims a velocity loss from 2770 at the muzle to 1067 at 1500y.

Note the .408 stayts supersonic all the way to 2500 yards, while the .50 transitions right at 1500, suggesting that it is seriously running out of steam, although it's STILL a 670gr proj.

The drop on the .408 is 878.71, minus the 2.5"

Incidentally, the .408 comes with an "Advance Ballistic Computer "for accurate elevation and windage settings that compensate for ALL known physical conditions...including Coriolis (the Earth's rotation)."  

Re bullet drop in the .408, the integral scope base is machined at an angle to provide additional built in elevation, it's so noticeable, the front of the scope is noticeably slanted downward at the muzzle end.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe he was on a mountain top?
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Wait, I just read Osprey's link, something isn't right.

My chart states bullet path, as defined by "Distance above or below the bore axis (line of sight) in inches," and gives the number I gave, but Osprey's numbers look a lot more real to me.

Rechecking in, Osprey's chart references a heavier, faster proj,

Caliber .50 BMG [ Browning Machine Gun ]
Bullet Weight - 709gr FMJ-BT  [  Full Metal Jacket - Boat Tail  ]
Muzzle Velocity - 2850 - 3028 fps

while the chart I have is for a 670 gr travelling at 2770 muzzle velocity.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#10]
As the proud owner of a Barrett M99, I can tell you a 2,300 yd shot is possible... with a hell of a lot of training and luck. I fire mine at competitions of 1,000 and 1,200 yards. As for Mr. Citadel grad, I think his rifle may be zeroed at about 25 yards, because no round I ever shot at 1000 yards fell more than 2 feet. I'm not sure if they study any kind of physical science at the Citadel, but I do know this. A bullet dropping 1267 inches is a round with a downard path, not fired level. The round is forcing itself down (which of course is a bad design). I'm not sure if Mr. Citadelgrad knows the formul d=1/2gtsqaured, but I will explain a little physics and maybe he can rethink his tables. distance= 1/2 x 9.8m/s/s x 3 seconds squared = 44.9 feet, a little under half the distance. Only 538 inches. Take to mind that these stats are FREE FALL stats. Not considering any raise in the round. Back to the question at hand, I have seen rocks plinked at 2,000 yards. It's a hell of a sight to see, but it's possible.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Bukshot.

Apparently, you missed all reading comprehension classes wherever you attended to become a physical science "guru."

Nowhere did I say it was "my" rifle, and I clearly both identified the source of the information I provided and I called it into question when others provided different data.  I can not vouch for the accuracy of the table, but even the one cited by osprey belies your allegations.

However, for such a guru, your statement "no round I ever shot at 1000 yards fell more than 2 feet" is patently absurd.

The drop of the bullet takes place no matter at what range your rifle is sited in.  If "my" nonexistant .50 is sighted in at 25 yards, and your otherwise identical rifle is sighted in at 1000 yards, both trajectories are IDENTICAL.  The points of aim are all that change.  So your 1000 yard round IS falling more than 2 feet, 28" according to osprey's table, you just don't realize it because you are not holding 2" over due to your zero.

You confuse holdover with trajectory.  Holdover is affected by the range the rifle is zeroed at, trajectory takes place no matter what.

Regarding your repeated scornful references to The Citadel, they are uncalled for.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#12]
The bullet hit at a 30 deg angle on the sheer rock face then mad an abrupt turn and hit the subject in the wrist and then bounced off the camels hump and hit him in the head.

That's what the report said.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Easy fellas...........

Anyway, Citadel, the link Osprey provided has the rifle zeroed at 1000, and the drop at 1500 yards is still 400 inches.  I think the trajectory was something like 90 inches high at some point.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Maybe he was on a mountain top?

bro,
as I recall the shooter was in the mountains and at a higher elevation.  The higher elevation will definitely matter.

Citadel,
you following Dr. J and his Chey-Tac .408 group ??  They should have the new U.S. Optics scopes by now.  I believe this rifle will get out to about 3,000 yards and the projectile will still be supersonic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top