Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2002 9:02:10 PM EDT
I'm looking into getting a .308 to supplement my AR-15 and need help deciding.

1. AR-10
2. FAL
3. G3
4. M-14

What do you guys suggest? Pros/Cons?

I'd like light weight, low price, max effective range.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I vote for the M1A (M14)  Mags are cheaper than the AR10
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#2]
IMHO
Go with a NEW G3.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 10:06:19 AM EDT
[#3]
HK 91 (G3) is a personal fav.(cheap mags too) but if you don't have a M1A (M14)- then you need one.
The iron sights on it are incredible, the accuracy is undeniable, and Fulton Armory can make it mil-spec.

JerrY
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 10:15:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I have also been looking to adding a .308 for my collection.  All are good choices that I have looked into as well, but I have decided on the M1A.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I have owned or shot all of the rifles you listed.

1) G3: great gun, mags available, no frigging gas adjustment to fool with, just load & shoot. Groups are a bit to be desired though. Still have mine, Federal receiver.

2) FAL: decent gun, frigging gas adjust to fool with. Every time I changed ammo brands I had to readjust, a PITA. Sold mine.

3) M1A: had the real thing in the Marine Corps, shot many civvy versions since. Good rifle although accuracy with the standard set-up may not be perfect. Op rod problems are a bitch if encountered.

4) AR-10: just bought an Armalite. WONDERFUL gun!! Recoil is almost non-existant, great accuracy. Mags are seemingly a bugger to get in 20rd sizes. Conversion kits from Armalite seem to be the way to go there. I'll not part with this one!!

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 3:04:02 AM EDT
[#6]
my very biased oppinion:  M1A

Link Posted: 5/6/2002 4:04:18 PM EDT
[#7]
All are good guns.  I prefer the AR10 out of all of them.

A lot of the decision about an AR10 can be made by basically asking yourself if you want a gun just like your AR15.

Some say no, they want more variety.

Some say yes, it's eaiser to maintain/troubleshoot a rifle you're already familiar with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top