Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2002 5:56:33 PM EDT
Hi gang!
Question. I have a Colt preban Match HBAR Sporter (Model 6601). It has a free float bbl, Harris bi-pod, Simmons 3x9x32 scope. If it matters, it is a flat top upper.
I've had good luck with this gun shooting paper, which is why I bought it. BUT, with the above mentioned equipment, what's the best performance that I can expect from this AR? What maximum distance should I be able to shoot with it?
Using my old US Army training, we had to qualify out to 300 meters using iron sights.
Shouldn't I be able to do this with that setup? Maybe better?????
HELP!
p.s. I don't know diddly about shooting with a scope long distance.
educate me.
thanks,
colt
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 6:29:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Now, this is just what I have heard, so take it in that light.....but I gather that the AR15 is now the gun to beat in long-range (1000yd) competition, so you should be able to do pretty well. And, since the USMC qualifies at 500M with the very same weapon the Army uses, I'd say you should be able to reach on out there.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#2]
FWIW, the big boys at Marine Corps rifle matches shoot at 600 yards. Of course, that excluded me. >gg<

As others mention, 1000 yards is not out of question. However, wind will blow the small .223 all over the place given the opportunity. Should be no problem hitting a torso target from 500 yards & on in as we did so regularly in the Marines.

As for group sizes, that will depend on the quality of the ammo & the ability of the shooter. >gg<

I think you may have your model # incorrect as I have a 6601 & it's the standard A2 model with the fixed carry handle. I believe you have a different model #.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 1:27:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Bob, thanks for the info. however, it's important to point out that i bought this rifle used, and you can clearly see that someone had the fixed carryhandle "milled" off. it's not a chop job, it looks professional.
just for info to readers.
thanks to all that replied.
colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top