Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2002 4:04:17 PM EDT
Gents,

I am interested in a Mauser Type action rifle.  Can anybody give me the scoop on these rifles?

Cost
What to look for
Do's and Don'ts
Cost of ammo
Cleaning gear
Accuracy
What to expect
Range
Carbine
Anything else?

Thanks

Max
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Asking about milsurps or commercial Mausers?

OSA
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Your question is kind of hard to answer without writing a novel.

I have experience with a Yugo M48A in 8X57 and love it.  This is a large ring mauser.  The action is not quite as smooth as the original Germans, but it works for me.  It is close to what the Germans carried in WWII (I could not find a usable german model without paying beaucoup bucks).  It is a shoulder thumber and you may tire after about 40-60 rounds if you only shoot in a T-shirt. I generally start to cringe and flinch big time after about 60 rounds.  It cocks when you turn the bolt to unlock and eject the spent case.

I have experience with the M-96 Swedish Mausers in 6.5X55.  I like these as well.  They do not recoil as hard and are VERY VERY accurate.  The cock upon closing the bolt and chambering a fresh round.

Cleaing them is quite easy, but don't wait too long if you shoot surplus ammo and live in a corrosive environment.  I try to clean mine as soon as I get back from the range.  I start with Sweets 7.62 to remove the corrosive salts, dry the bore, and then use Hoppes to clean.

I think they are excellent firearms for the money.  Make sure that when you look to buy you take a bore light so you can verify that you are not getting a sewer pipe with a stock.  Sometimes the barrels are full of cosmoline and it is hard to tell though.  Good luck and happy Mauser hunting.

You will become addicted like many before you.

Edited to add: You'll probably be in the $100-$300 range depending on type and quality.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's your 1st one, I highly recommend spending a 'little extra' for a good Swedish M96 Mauser.  ( #'s matching is a plus and goes over well for bragging.)
They are simply one of the finest guns ever made.
History.  Workmanship.  Accuracy.  Pride of ownership.

It's worth looking into.
www.gunboards.com/forums/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Headlines&BID=21&SID=709417

www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Geyser/6125/Images/images.htm

www.mtek.chalmers.se/~m95perm/vapen/index_e.html

www.armscenter.com/dutchman/

www.ellisonsmilitaryrifles.com/

Have a look.
Great info and photos.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't add much to what Matt has said.  I have had a little experience with Mauser having bought 7 since Oct 2001.  I like them all.  Got 2 really nice Turk Model 38's from Big 5 Sports for $50 each on sale, a Czech 98/22 for $90, a really nice equal to "new" Model 48A for $150, a VG/EXC condition Model 39(Persian) for $250 and an FR-8 Spanish Mauser in 308(7.62NATO)for $170.  Prices will vary in different parts of the country but the above are fairly typical, some a little high, some a little low.  The surplus 8mm ammo is real cheap but is corrosive but that is no big deal as long as you clean the bore and bolt face quickly as Matt said.  I do it at the range, just a damp patch with ammonia/water or Windex with ammonia once through the bore and wipe the bolt face and thats it.  Of course clean normally when home.  I have shot all my mausers and found all to be more accurate than I expected(with my old eyes).  They are very interesting rifles with a long history.  Lots of good websites on the net dealing with Milsurp rifles.  Good luck
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with Matt S and BusMaster007. I do have problems with the sights, though, on an M24/47 I own. I find them too low and too small for me to acquire quickly, so I prefer Mosin-Nagants (M91/30) and (especially) Lee-Enfields (any!!!). Nonetheless, you will not find a stronger action than a Mauser. I watched a guy inadvertently shoot a double-loaded reload in an old Mauser (WW2 Ger.) and, though the bolt and extractor were fused to the receiver, no explosion, no injury to the shooter, 'Maj. Darwin' . 'Designed by geniuses to be run by idiots', truly!

The surplus Persian Mausers look pretty interesting, too, and I'm partial to long barrels.

However, 8mm is also getting to be a tough round to find milsurp in quantity for cheap that will go boom every time-I have old Yugo and Turk 8mm ammo that works OK, but the primers are VERY corrosive, and they don't always go off when I want them to...makes for some interesting moments .....
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 10:38:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Almost all bolt action rifles in early 1900's and STILL to this date, use an action based off the Mauser action.

Do I really need to say more?

Almost all your questions can't be answer due to so many different firearms created around the mauser action.

Cost of ammo is the only one I can answer, ammo is cheap, $60-$90 for 1000 rounds.

8mm (7.92) is a round that will never die as long as center fire cartridges exist.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 3:55:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for the Swede. Still have not seen one that didn't shoot well. Swedes never used corrosive ammo, so the bores are bright and shiny. 6.5x55mm is one of the most accurate cartridges ever created by man.

Negatives:

- Relatively expensive and hard to find surplus ammo.(But the stuff you do find is excellent.)

- Rifles themselves are getting to be more scarce. Expect to pay $150-$250 bucks for one.

A good blasting rifle would be a Yugo made Mauser. Cheap and plentiful ammo. Good accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Another vote for the Swede. Still have not seen one that didn't shoot well. Swedes never used corrosive ammo, so the bores are bright and shiny. 6.5x55mm is one of the most accurate cartridges ever created by man.

Negatives:

- Relatively expensive and hard to find surplus ammo.(But the stuff you do find is excellent.)

- Rifles themselves are getting to be more scarce. Expect to pay $150-$250 bucks for one.

A good blasting rifle would be a Yugo made Mauser. Cheap and plentiful ammo. Good accuracy.

I feel the same way about my K-31 swiss.
The GP11 7.5x55mm is very accurate and packs a punch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top