Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2002 11:54:47 AM EDT
Lurking the dark a shot fired at the discussion board - duck.

Seems to me there are numerous variations on the CAR telescoping stocks.

I was wondering what are the meritts of "plastic" versus/over the older aluminum stocks.

I have been looking for the older version and having trouble locating one.

Would it be worthwhile looking at the plastic version or does anyone have any other suggestions.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#1]
There are 4 common production/readily available variations right now.

-Standard/old style plastic

-Standard/old style aluminum

-New style plastic

-New style aluminum

That being said, dont waste your money, buy the old style fiberite from whoever has it the cheapest.

Aluminum stocks get cold or hot depending on where you are.  They can also expand or shrink in extreme temp variances (proly wouldnt really matter but...).  Aluminum bends, plastic bounces/flexes.

Unless youre trying to build some accurate repro of a 'Nam gun, Al is a waste of money better spent on mags or ammo.

Edited for spelling

Link Posted: 5/2/2002 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I use the synthetic 4 position CAR stock and I'm happy with it.

I've never had an aluminum stock but I have looked at rifles at gunshows with them and they all rattled ALOT.

I'm sure the aluminum CAR stocks are stronger but I don't like all the rattle. It would suck if you were in a situation where you were trying to stay quiet and the stock kept rattleing every time you took a step.

That wouldn't be good for home defence while walking through your house at night after hearing a noise.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the Feedback - NightHawk and TopCrest.

Will take it under advisement.

What's the diff between the old and new "pastics"?  

Are your preferences w/ tele stocks or A2's?

Link Posted: 5/2/2002 12:25:01 PM EDT
[#4]
As far as I know, the main diiference between old and new is the redesign of the stock with added ribbing, and also the butt plate is extended a bit for more shoulder grab. personally, I like the old style because the new is too bulky for my taste.

As far as tele or A2, for me it's tele for looks on a carbine and A2 on full size. But for some strange reason I kinda liked an extended tele on my 20" for a while. Didn't shoot with it though.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the addition input - more than appreciated.

Old M14er myself, but lucked into an old pre Eagle National Match (remanufactured thru Armalite).

Has the heavy 20" stainless and figured on picking up a carbine upper, but wondering now if its even worthwhile setting it up w/ a tele stock, as I'll be swapping the uppers back and forth - depending on where and what I shoot (match or moving targets).
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#6]
the diffrences in old or new style is this:

old is the CAR stock. thats what i have and it suits me just fine.

new is M4 stock. usually 6 pos. and has a diffrent angle on the buttpeice. also looks a little diffrent. these cost more. some really like them better, but its mostly about prefrence.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for the addition input - more than appreciated.

Old M14er myself, but lucked into an old pre Eagle National Match (remanufactured thru Armalite).

Has the heavy 20" stainless and figured on picking up a carbine upper, but wondering now if its even worthwhile setting it up w/ a tele stock, as I'll be swapping the uppers back and forth - depending on where and what I shoot (match or moving targets).

I would get a 16" BBL & CAR stock if you like the gee-whiz factor. Choices, choices, but that is what life is all about.

I would to also add that aluminum CAR stocks are also heavier than the plastic/fiberite variety. If you plan to lug your rifle any distance, the weight savings of a plastic/fiberite is to be considered.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 4:07:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I personally like the older CAR style stock.  You can get the rubber pad on the end so it won't slip and slide when you fire your weapon.

The ribbed ones really don't fit me well.

Just remember that for executing a vertical buttstroke or smash there is nothing finer than a good ol A2 stock.

Max
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:15:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey,  just for the record, at my house it's the plastic stock that rattles. The aluminum unit on my SP1 has very little play and makes only a tiny amount of rattle noise.  Also after nearly 25 years of ownership, it's just now starting to put a little finish wear on the tube.  Don't know about any aftermarket metal types, but I have NEVER found the stock to be either too warm or too cold, no matter what the weather.  The coating on the Colt unit at least insulates the thing quite well. Of course, when you get part of your face on the metal tube, especially in cold weather, it can be quite another story for a few seconds, until your skin heat warms up the aluminum tube somewhat.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:41:54 PM EDT
[#10]
On my preban Colt, I have a newer M4-style 6-position ribbed plastic stock made by RRA.  I'm extremely happy with it and there are no noises from it at all.  Got it on eBay for $72.

I've never owned one of the others, but for many many years I've always thought the CAR stocks looked cheesy, but then I can understand how someone who likes the old style might not like the new.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#11]
All I remember is that people did not like them much before they became EVIL!!

They were not a good "platform" to shoot off of.

Once the ban came, they were flying off of the shelf.

Sure, I have to pre-bans with them...just because I can.

I like the three position.

Any more over complicates things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top