Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2002 9:09:15 AM EDT
I picked up a collapsible but stock to go on my pre-ban.

Has anyone had a butt stock failure during “dynamic”  removal of a stuck case?
I am specifically talking about the technique of extracting a case by smashing the butt of the rifle on the ground while holding the charging handle.
I have heard it breaks some part of the stock and that the way to stop this is to collapse the stock before you smash it.  I just want to know if this is a real problem or an extremely rare occurrence that I do not have to worry about.  I picked up my collapsible stock at a gun show and I don’t know the manufacturer.  it’s a smooth plastic stock without any strengthening ribs or fillets.    

Thanks,
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 1:20:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any personal experience with this technique, but I can tell you that in the last episode of Combat Missions, one of the guys was in first place during the next to last round of competition.  He had a few failures to feed and tried that technique.  He ended up losing because his M16 locked up so bad he couldn't move the bolt at all.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 2:26:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#3]
308wood,  Here are two ways of overcoming the problem.

1. Install a slip on buttpad.  When you need to clear the weapon, slip the buttstock down until the end of the buffer tube is touching the rubber and then make the blow.

2. Without the buttpad, Pull on the adjustment lever for the stock and pull the buttstock completely off the tube, then use your shoe at the tip(curl your toes to get them out of the way) to make the impact.

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:16:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I picked up a collapsible but stock to go on my pre-ban.

Has anyone had a butt stock failure during “dynamic”  removal of a stuck case?
I am specifically talking about the technique of extracting a case by smashing the butt of the rifle on the ground while holding the charging handle.
I have heard it breaks some part of the stock and that the way to stop this is to collapse the stock before you smash it.  I just want to know if this is a real problem or an extremely rare occurrence that I do not have to worry about.  I picked up my collapsible stock at a gun show and I don’t know the manufacturer.  it’s a smooth plastic stock without any strengthening ribs or fillets.    

Thanks,

I have personally ruined an aluminum CAR using this technique. BUT I was stupid, I did it a number of times before it screwed up the stock. Mainly because I used to reload 556 ammo(don't do that now, factory loaded ammo cost just cost a few cents more per round); and sometimes  I didn't get re-sized down enough, and the bolt would barely close, so if you hit the forward assist, and chamber the round, and pull the trigger, it would go click. After that, it is REAL hard, if not impossible to pull the charging handle back, and so you have to execute the above menuver to eject the round. So if you have to do the above manuver, remember to collapse the buttstock down otherwise you will have to buy a new one after about 10 times doing this procedure-YMMV. Also if you have to do this "dynamic" removal technique, carry a small block of wood with you and use it to prevent small gauges in the buttstock from banging on a rock, concrete etc. I now use my beloved buttstock as a paper weight today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top