Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2002 6:13:29 PM EDT
Where does one get a "real" USGI M1 carbine these days. CMP doesn't offer them anymore and Fulton Armory's are extremely nice but also real expensive. Any other sources around?
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#1]
check out your local gun show nearest you...
or MIL-TEC(also kinda expensive)
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Israel Arms is making them out of parts and new barrels. I paid $400 for mine, and it's a nice little gun. Totally Mil-spec, reliable, and accuracy is good.www.israelarms.com/flash/iai.html
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 6:59:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I checked many message board sale forums when I was looking for an M1 Carbine, and one place stands out above others: CSP Gun Shopper (Jouster)
There's currently only one or two there.

Auction Arms and Gun Broker often have several going, but bidding can be a bitch.  No matter which one I bid on, I always lost.

Finally, AssaultWeb's sale forums has one pop up now and then, but not often.  This is where I finally found mine at.

LL
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 4:43:44 AM EDT
[#5]
There are lots of them at the shows.  You can get a good one for $450.  They're neat little rifles.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 5:35:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I second the gun shows suggestions.  You gotta look around a little, because they've gotten really pricey.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:00:12 AM EDT
[#7]
In Indiana, a basic Inland M1 Carbine (all GI) in good shape will start at $475 and go up as high as $1000 for a Winchester.  You can get parts guns for less, but not much less.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:14:30 AM EDT
[#8]
www.gunsamerica.com/fast.cgi?guncat=1990

Go to the www.gunsamerica.com and look for the Military Rifles US link.

They are kinda pricey, tho.

Better bet is to go to a gun show. Every show I've been to has had them there - US military originals, in good condition, at reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 10:50:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Zardoz is right
ill 2nd the iai 30 carbine iv had one about 2 years now and many rounds in it. never had a problem.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#10]
HELL NO on that IAI carbine!

Before gunandknife.com went down, the IAI carbines were taking a real beating on those boards.  They've got cast receivers, cast op rods and ARE NOT MIL-SPEC.  I wish those boards where still around so that you could read for yourself.

One of my friends bought one as a host for his registered M2 parts kit.  Basically, none of the parts would fit.  He sold it at a loss after never having even fired it.  I know of three that have been purchased by acquaintances and they've all been disappointed by them.

I'm not saying they won't shoot OK, but if you want a "real" one, it shouldn't be an IAI.  After the Iver Johnson and Plainfield blowups back in the 70's you'd think people would stay away from cast carbine receivers.  The GI forged receivers won't hold up to more than 7000 rounds of full auto fire.

I had one built up on a new Sprinfield Armory receiver using all new mostly Inland post-WWII parts.  My receiver isn't GI, but it isn't CAST either.  The barrel indexed and headspaced right and the M2 parts kit fits fine.  All together including reparkerizing I've got $500 in mine and it's in brand new condidtion.

The bottom line is that if you want a "real" one you can choose between an expensive restored one (MILTECH, Fulton) or a beater re-import from Israel or Korea.  Otherwise be prepared to get a reworked parts gun of indeterminate quality or a clone of arguably inferior quality.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:21:42 PM EDT
[#11]
In these parts carbines tend to be scarce and expensive.  Well used GI issue when found will generally be $500.  Nicer ones quickly top the $650 mark.  I lucked out on a really clean Inland a couple of years ago for $400.  The IAI carbines are fairly common but I know nothing about them. Universals are junk.

Be suspicious of the terms "all original" or "matching parts".  Many carbines came from the factory as Hienz 57 guns.  There was a lot of mixing and matching of parts among the builders in WW II.

Link Posted: 5/1/2002 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Be patient, search around, and you'll eventually locate one.  A USGI Carbine will tend to cost somewhat more, but you'll get that back (if not more) when you eventually go to sell it.  Real USGI, non-import, M1 Carbines have never failed to increase in value---the same can't be said for the repros and commercial copies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top