Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2002 6:28:14 PM EDT
Hello.

I've been reading and searching a lot of stuff about those barrel length debates, especially 16" and 20" ones. (Not much for 14.5" and 16" since its just personal preference I guess)

Today, I got a permission from BATF officer that I'm free to purchase more firearms. (He inspected my background me thinks, since I'm not yet a citizen of U.S. Well I fully understand ...after 9/11 incident) So once again, I'm wholeheartly IN for buying another rifle :)

That's about the background, so now on to my situation...

At first, I opted for a Glock pistol, but then again, I would never carry a firearm, unless I go somewhere odd in the desert or something. (Also I'd take AR15 & my Benelli rather than any pistols) Furthermore, shooting in out door range discouraged me from shooting pistols, since I was shooting AR-15 at half indoor/ half outdoor thingy. Well, I gotta say firearms sporting is an outdoor activity after all. :)

I already own a Bushy M4-type AR15 (post-ban). I would really like to have a pre-ban but oh well, too expansive for me. I was searching for another rifle, and I came back to AR15s. Since I'm shooting 200 yds. max (very rarely over 400 yds) there was no need for more expansive .308 rounds.

At first, I looked at 16" and 20" barreled rifles. Since I already have a 14.5" one, I wanted to make difference and I decided to take a flat-top 20". But then again, after seeing all these posts about it increasing accuracy maginally especially with good quality optics, and so on, I'm pretty much discouraged to buy 20" barrel AR-15 rifles. The little project I was thinking about was to get a Compact ACOG and full sized TA31 ACOG for each one of my AR-15s. So that I could use 14.5" as pure C.Q.B and upto 150 yds rifle, and then use 20" as 150 yd and beyond. It seems there isn't much of difference in accuracy though, which greatly frustrated me.

With all due respect to pre-ban rifles, my fund won't allow me to do that, so I'm pretty much stuck with post-ban. I will send my rifle to Kurts when I'm determined to buy, to attach those nice looking tac muzzle brakes. I hope those stuff don't generate as much as noises as my mini-Y comp.

Would please anyone want to throw in detailed opinions in order to persuade me buy any of those rifles?

P.S sorry about grammar errors.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Get 'em all Dude...   You will anyway...   Sooner or later...
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#2]
First, If you have a 14.5" barrel, without a permanently attached muzzle brake, you have a problem.  16" is the shortest barrel length you can have on a rifle without registering it as a short barreled rifle (and if you're in Delaware, you're not going to be able to register a SBR).  If you have a 14.5" barrel, you must have a permanently attached muzzle brake or similar device to make it at least 16".  Its only a 1.5" difference, but its the difference between legal and a felony.

Second, assuming you already have either a postban 14.5" with a permanently attached muzzle brake, or a 16" barrel, why not just get another 20" upper to put on the lower you've already got?  You can switch uppers in a matter of seconds - use one for shorter ranges and plinking, use the other for longer ranges and more serious accuracy.

Third, where in Delaware?  Been to Ommalanden range?
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I say, since you already have the Carbine, get the full sized rifle, 20 incher.  As far as optics.  If you are designating one for CQB, then why the ACOG?  Go with a Reflex or other dot optic.  I can't see why you'd want to spend 600 bucks on an optic for under 150 yards.  If you want real diversity, then get the 20 inch AR as an A2 or fixed carry handle and get the compact ACOG on top of that.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#4]
What he said!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I will go with the standard rifle with 20" BBL since you already have a carbine.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for replying.

First, I'm not a felon, I use a postban 14.5" with permanentely attached mini Y-comp muzzle brake, which I hate to the death now (it looks cool though...gotta change it to Kurt's A3 tac brake...anybody know the noise level of Kurt's? If there is no difference in noise level, I'd just use my mini-Y comp.)

Yes I've been ommalenden shooting range several times, and I got tired of 50 meter range, so I moved to Brandywine Hundred Rod & Gun Club.

Now, after thinking about that under 150 yds you  don't wanna spend 600 bucks thingy, I decided to  change it. I'd go this way

Bushy M4-type 14.5" A2 Upper + PT Night Sights
> Using iron sights, plenty for under 200 Yds. A2 Fixed Carry handle, can be used as a rough survival rifle.

Bushy AR15 20" A3 Flat-top Upper + TA31 ACOG
> Not really a marksman rifle, but a compromise between it and the carbines.

The reason why I'm not matching Compact ACOG with 20" bbl is they look very unbalanced compared to a Full-sized ACOG on it.

I may install Aimpoint Comp M2 when I change my Bushy 14.5"'s upper to a Flat-top.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Go for the 20".  I like the balance of a longer barrel on the AR platform.  Less muzzle flash too.  I'm not a big fan of muzzle brakes so I don't know what to tell you about that.  Try shooting without one to see if you really need it.

You will get marginally more velocity with a 20", probably not enough to worry about.  But you'll have less gas port erosion and a longer sight radius, assuming you're going with some sort of iron sights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top