Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2002 1:10:57 PM EDT
My brand new bushy(carbine flattop)will not eject the empty case.About 1 FTE every 20 rds,it just leaves the empty in the chamber and the bolt picks up the next round and jams both into the locking lugs.I used the factory mag and USGI mag,factory winchester and federal 55gr fmj.It will jam with every combination.The ejector and extractor both seem to have good spring tension.I cleaned everything when I got it,then lubed every thing with CLP per instructions.After the first time out (about 50rds-2 jams)I cleaned everything again this time I just put on light coat of CLP and grease on the bearing surface of the bolt carrier.Still no luck.I'm not sure I even want to keep this gun anymore.Any info you could give me would be great!
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 1:45:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds kinda like it's short stroking on you. The same thing happened to me awhile back when I got my Bushmaster 14.5" carbine. It was a gas leak for me, a common issue with 16" carbines. Contact Bushmaster and they will fix it for free. I sent it off and had it back fast, 7 days total from the day I sent it to the day it was returned. No problem since. Also check your gas rings and carrier key. It's a good rifle, don't let this freak you out.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it a failure to eject or extract, you stated eject but it leaves the brass in the chamber but gets jammed into the locking lugs?

If it is picking up another round and the empty case is still being held by the extractor then I would suspect the ejector may be the problem.

Link Posted: 4/28/2002 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 3:36:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry for the confusion,it is extracting but not ejecting.It just leaves the empty laying there the bolt picks up the next round and shoves them both into the locking lugs.The gas rings look like they are ok.Any other ideas.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 5:33:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a very similar problem when I first got my Bushmaster.  I was using WInchester Q3131A ammo and USGI mags.  After about a 100 rounds or so it started to hang up on ejection almost every round.  It turned out to be a very simple problem.  My ejector was not coming out all the way, due to some brass shaving some how working their way into the ejector channel in the bolt.  For some reason, that batch of Q3131A I had had softer brass than usual, astleast it sure seemed that way.  I was getting a lot of brass shavings in the receiver, and some must have gotten pushed into that little drain hole or whatever that goes into the ejector channel on the bolt.  The shavings had worked their way completely in so I couldn't see them from the outside.  

Put an empty shell casing under the extractor lips and rock it back and forth over the ejector, pushing it in and out.  Is your ejector coming all the way out, is it pushing in?
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:46:16 AM EDT
[#6]
A friend of mine had a very similar problem - turned out the bolt had been assembled with an incorrect spring under the ejector. Double check that and also make sure there is no machining debris in the ejector hole.
Don't give up on the Bushy!
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I would add to Polyak's advice that you should put some oil on the bolt face around the ejector while you are rocking an empty cartridge as he described it.  This will help free the ejector plunger and spring.  

I had the same problem with a new Bushy, Polyak is right on the mark.  Once I worked some oil into the ejector tunnel, I never had another problem with the rifle.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Let me add one other possible (easily solved) problem, that may be causing or aggravating your situation.  Last year, while examining the fired brass from a newly built rifle using a new Rock River bolt head, I noticed that the rear faces of the cases were very chewed up ooking, compared to the empties I'd fired from my old reliable Colt,  Investigation revealed that the edge of the recess in the new bolt head that bordered the inside of the extractor had a very sharp edge that was chewing the rear of the case head, and shaving off shreds of brass right into the extractor area. I'm sure that if I hadn't caught the problem after 30 or 40 rounds, those brass bits would have built up enough to start interfering with function.  Disassembling the extractor from the bolt head, and lightly running a fine cut needle file over that edge a few times knocked off the sharp edge, stopped the chewing up of the case heads, and reduced the brass fouling in the bolt head area significantly.  I know that your complaint was about ejection problems,  but if your extractor isn't holding the case firmly enough after it comes out of the chamber, you are going to get ejection malfunctions.  That's why the move in recent yrs to stronger extractor springs and (at least in my case) making sure the case head isn't dragging on the bolt face during extraction, or the extractor being pushed away from the bolt body by excess brass shavings.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:17:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I had basically the same problem as shaymayim.

A sharp edge on the bolt face under the extractor shaved brass off the case heads (and caused raised gouges on the case heads sharp enough to cut you).  The brass shavings migrated into the ejector tunnel and gummed it up very quickly.  

During cycling, the empties were correctly extracted from the chamber but not ejected.  They remained held against the boltface by the extractor.  

When the next round fed up from the magazine, I had two rounds, one empty and one loaded, trying to be in the same place at the same time.  

If this is your problem, flooding the ejector area with CLP while “exercising” the ejector with an empty case might help.  Ultimately you may need to remove the ejector and clean out the tunnel.  

If you’ve got a sharp edge on the bolt face, it may need to be stoned very lightly.  However, I wouldn’t jump to this conclusion too quickly – you may just have a sticky extractor that needs a little CLP.  Also, it’s normal to have some brass flakes on the bolt face.

Since it’s under warranty, if it needs anything more than CLP, I’d send it back to Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 8:58:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Having the same problem with new BM 20"H-BAR but I'm also getting emptys stuck on top of bolt and they are a nightmare to get out.This will be this rifles 3rd trip back to the factory.Everyone says to get a stronger spring but a $800 rifle shouldn't need new parts so soon.I like the accuracy and the trigger but I will NEVER trust this rifle. I feel like I'm being ripped off by paying to have it shipped all the time but I don't want to sell it to some poor soul who won't be covered by warranty.(upper was bad and had to be replaced after 500something rounds).Buddy has a 16" BM that does the same thing but he was too stupid to send it back while it still had a warranty. SEND IT BACK ...they're pretty quick at getting it back to you...Good Luck
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 10:35:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow alot of people having problems with their bushys.

i hope my bushy holds up.

Mine's actually in the factory right now, to get the barrel re-indexed.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 6:40:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I do sympathize with 100 yards' problem, but the simple fact is that it's not a question of a new part (extractor spring) wearing out.  It's a question of the original part not being adequate in the first place. Let's face it, the only way we're going to get decently built rifles consistently is to develop the skills to build the things ourselves, and even then we're going to have to debug some of the parts we get as we go. I know it shouldn't be this way, but until they make me king of the world I can't change things,and niether can any of the rest of us.  As far as I can tell, the aftermarket manufacturers are getting their small parts from the same subcontractors, and this seems to be where most of the problems that get posted here come from.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 9:00:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My brand new bushy(carbine flattop)will not eject the empty case.About 1 FTE every 20 rds,it just leaves the empty in the chamber and the bolt picks up the next round and jams both into the locking lugs.I used the factory mag and USGI mag,factory winchester and federal 55gr fmj.It will jam with every combination.The ejector and extractor both seem to have good spring tension.I cleaned everything when I got it,then lubed every thing with CLP per instructions.After the first time out (about 50rds-2 jams)I cleaned everything again this time I just put on light coat of CLP and grease on the bearing surface of the bolt carrier.Still no luck.I'm not sure I even want to keep this gun anymore.Any info you could give me would be great!

You know the solution is even simpler...

Buy a Colt...

I could not resist, it begged for it.

Kentlik

P.S. I have a bushy as well as my Colts.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 9:03:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Wow alot of people having problems with their bushys.

My thoughts exactly
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 11:43:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a fairly new bushy, 14.5" carbine, and the factory mag does not work at all! the gun only seems to like thermold mags, what kind of ammo are you using?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top