Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2002 8:14:51 AM EDT
What would cause the slide release on a 1911 to engage when there are still cartridges in the mag?  I have a Springfield MilSpec with a .400 CORBON barrel in it and all of a sudden it will lock the slide back after it shoots. It won't do it every time but only occasionally. I have replaced the recoil spring with a 22# from Wilson Combat.  Any ideas?

Link Posted: 4/28/2002 9:36:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Could the recoil be causing the the slide stop to bounce up and catch the slide? What kind of mags are you using in this pistol?
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 10:39:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I put the 22# in to handle the recoil better. I am using Chip McCormick 8rnd mags.

Link Posted: 4/28/2002 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like it bounced up with recoil , it may be worn where it passes through the link . That is what happen to my AutoOrdinance 45 ten years ago .
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#4]
So the problem still occurs even after the #22 has been installed?

I doubt the mags could be causing the problems since they are supposed to be better quality.

I am still guessing that the recoil is causing it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Remove your slide and then resintall the slide stop on the frame. Work it up and down some, checking that the slide stop plunger and plunger spring have enough force against the slide stop to keep it down under normal operation. It should take a bit of upward force to make your slide stop move up.

When the last round is fired the lower section of the mag follower forces the slide stop up, engaging with the slide to lock it back.

Under normal firing your slide stop plunger / spring should have enough force to hold it in the down position.

Hope this helps..
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 7:53:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Thumbs touching the slide stop when you’re shooting can also lock the slide back.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#7]
The slide lock is activated by a tab sticking out on the left side of the magazine. It contacts and lifts the slide stop up. You need to check the profile of the bullets in your magazine and I think you will find that the front left side/tip of the bullet is hitting the slide stop on the way up.

Take the slide off and see how much clearance you have between the slide stop activation surface and the edge of the bullet as it passes from the magazine.  File off just a tad. If you take off too much it will miss the tab on the magazine follower which is supposed to be the only thing contacting this surface.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#8]
What TommyBrown said.

My Kimber did this when I first got it, but only when shooting 230gr FMJ ammo.  It handled other stuff like 230gr HydraShoks (different shape) and some 185gr stuff (shorter) with no problems.  

Pull out the slide stop and see if there's a little bit of brass scuff marks on the any part of the slide stop.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 2:52:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I third what tommy and hoplophile said.  Check the inside of the slide stop, see if it's got some copper rubbed off on it.  If so, the bullets in the magazine are hitting it.  You could file the slide stop down a little bit and test it again.  

I have a .380 that's modeled after the 1911 that does exactly what you mention.  Filing down the slide stop helped.

M@
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:43:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Is the slide stop supposed to have any sort of detent in it? The one on my SA Milspec is flat with no indentation.

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:58:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Is the slide stop supposed to have any sort of detent in it? The one on my SA Milspec is flat with no indentation.

I have Springfields and Colts, none of them have a detent on the slide stop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top