Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2002 5:55:56 PM EDT
I am looking at a Chandler Tactical rifle and noticed the upgrade scope options are Mil-dot. I was leaning toward a Duplex.

Any objective/subjective info ia appreciated and any articles on the subject are appreciated.
Thanks
I posted this under Optics/Sights, but did not get a reply, so I thought I would try here.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#1]
i dont want to sound snotty, and this is in no way a flame but if you dont know mil-dots a chandler rifle is a bit of over-kill. i agree they are the best. however, if a duplex reticle wil fit your needs then a rifle built to endure rugged fieldcraft probably will not be necessary. thus you will not be clogging up the waiting list for the rest of us    seriously though, try the leupold website they have some good basic infor on using mil-dots as well as snipercountry.com
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 2:38:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 12:58:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies. They helped. Hey, DvlDog, they have plenty of rifles, no clogged up line to stand in--just call and tell them how much you want to spend ;).
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 1:36:18 AM EDT
[#4]
see doc thats my problem. i dont want to spend my hard earned money with Col Chandler...its more of a primal need really. cool little anecdote. my cousin wisely joined the Corps when we were 17 instead of waiting till we were 25 like i did. by that time he was the Plt Sergeant for a S/S platoon. when he EAS'd the platoon, his XO and SgtMjr, his parents, and even his chaplain all pitched in and got him a Chandler M40A1. i was a LCpl not quite through my first year at that point. talk about rifle envy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 1:57:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I wish I would have thought of this....

www.swfa.com/riflescopes/mildotmaster/

Simple and straightforward.  

If you've got your ballistic info for your round/rifle... stick it on this and life is a big fat bowl of cherries.  No calculators needed.

If I were someone important , I would have the name "mildotmaster" on all my shirts!  

I have one.  I'm going to buy another very soon.  For every use I can reasonably think of... this thing fits the bill.

Your mileage may vary, but I really dig this thing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 3:31:24 AM EDT
[#6]
While range estimation is indeed one of the primary advantages of a Mil-Dot recticle, they are also used to make windage adjustments and leads for moving targets without touching the windage turret.

Example: Windy day and you want to get on target fast, fire a spotter round aiming normally, observe POI, pick windage mil-dot closest to POI, adjust POA to that mil-dot and if wind is consistant your next rounds will impact on target.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Mildot is not only for estimation. If you are any good with one you can range an object to with in a few yard. They were developed for military snipers. You can range find with a 30-30 rectile also just not as accurately.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Me, I'm cheap, so I went with the Vari-x III, 4 1/2-14 Mil dot. Loveit!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top