Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2002 5:13:33 PM EDT
Buddy of mine has a Handi(capped?) Rifle in .223 that he busts hawgs with.  And does it with great precision out to 300 yards, and more.  He swears it is bone stock, except for trigger work.  

These are not Darrell Waltrip stories.  I have watched him produce headshots at 250.  He has spent the time to develop "the load" for it.

Is this expected of this $200 exotic?  Anyone with FIRSTHAND experience????

I shoulda included this in the first post, but gotta love that "edit" function.  I bust the offending critters with a model 700 .25-06 with a leupold vari3.  I'm just looking for something shorter, lighter, and wasn't traded off of a good friend that passed away recently.  Hate to put a tack driver away for "special occasions", but circumstances sometime warrant the action.

That's why I headed it "Please Laugh Now", figured I'd get lotsa oddball comments from the peanut gallery.....
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I ain't going to laugh. No sir I'm not.

I have one too, and the little shit shoots damn well ! ! !
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#3]
There was a guy shooting one at the range today.  He was getting some serious groups with it.  Seems like a great little gun with a time proven action.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#4]
On a whim, I bought a used one of these .223 Handi-Rifles (the price was right).  I have the one with the heavy barrel and Weaver scope mount and it's a fun gun to plink around with.  It has surprised me with its accuracy and definitely helps conserve on ammo usage.  Just one thing - don't shoot the lacquered steel case stuff in it as I've experience problems with ejection of the case after firing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#5]
my local Galyans has one with a laminated, monte carlo palmswell stock and a leupold 3-9 on it with a harris bipod for $399. ive been thinking of snatching it up for a few weeks now.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I just bought a NEF SS1 ultra in .22 mag.  I just happen to have the $100 in my pocket when it caught my eye (not that that happens often).  Looks great, and I get to see how well it shoots this weekend.  I'm thinking it's going to make a great little backpack plinker.

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 7:45:37 PM EDT
[#7]
DvlDog....  as the saying should go...  "Show Me The Rifle"
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:34:36 PM EDT
[#8]
does anyone have a pic of these or a page about them? Seems like they would be a fun gun to have and I am always looking for more guns.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 10:11:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I remember one of the gun mags doing a shootout with ....Ruger Varmint, Remington Sendero, Savage Varmint, and the Handi Rifle...IIRC it outshot everything but the Rem. and had a cheapo BSA scope on it too.  Umm...it was close with the Remington, but then again they were all very close and accurate.  However...as much as I enjoy nice guns, it'd suck to have someone dusting your groups with a 300 rifle and scope combo...:-)
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 10:43:21 PM EDT
[#10]
great guns, shoot great, problem is Marlin bought them out and in stock guns is 0, Its backordered for who know how long. The 2002
book has a new .17 varmint, my cost is 115.00 now if they can only get them in stock.  

If you have a chance to buy the .223 handy
DO IT, and grin ear to ear.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 10:57:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Good guns, I got a heavy barreld 308 for christmas.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 11:09:36 PM EDT
[#12]
My store was/is in a small depressed farming town.
Folks flocked to the cheap scatter guns and .22's.

When the Handi-rifles came out,they sold well enough,and as usual the Bragging started amoung the unwashed.
Reports of "5 shots on a dime" hit a gopher in the nose at 200yds etc. came back.
These guys thing a hacksaw and a side grinder are precision instruments,so I passed it off.

Then I had one come back for some trigger work,and mounting of a new scope.The Farmer dropped 5 bills on the counter and told me to get him a Leupold V-II  and the best rings and base possible.
This shocked me.Yeah,they are unsophisticated,but CHEAP,and they ain't stupid.
I set it up and took it to the range to confirm zero.Using plain 'ol off the shelf Black hills 55gr sp Re-man ammo,the thing shot right around .5 MOA!!!!!

Later while talking to the folks at NEF about getting some spare parts to keep on hand,the nice gent informed me that they would do trigger work for FREE!!!!!!
"Just box it up and ship it to us,and we will take the trigger down to 3-4 lbs at no charge."

Ya don't have to slap me twice!
The things shoot,and the service WAS great!
I dunno what the future holds now though.
I got my eyeball on a .17.

I say get the critter,and don't apologize to anyone!
Keep safe!
S-28
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Pics please, I'd love to see what the hell you all are talkin' about.

A link will do as well.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 6:13:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Last year, I bought the NEF .223 Handi-Rifle Varmint Combo at Dick's Sporting Goods. It included the heavy barrel, a monte carlo style stock w/ recoil pad, a mounted 4-12X scope and a hard gun case ... all for $249.99!

In today's paper,in a sales circular, the exact same package at the same place is $269.99.

They are really accurate for the money spent. But with the 12:1" rate of twist, they don't shoot well at all with anything over 55 gr. bullet weight.
Shane
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Thanks for all the opinions!!!  You guys are why this site works so well.

Stealth, please drop me an email and let me know about your experience with the .22 Mag. MOA???

Thanks, Gentlemen.  And thank those of you who are like me, too....
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got one of the Survivor models with heavy barrel, Weaver mount and thumbhole stock. It shoots 1" groups easily but they will benefit from a trigger job. I bought mine specifically to give me an extra platform for my suppresor. There's an NEF-H&R website and there's an NEF discussion group on Yahoo.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#18]
How many rounds per minute do they shoot? In a combat situation would they be good against an AK47, FAL, or even a shot out AR15?
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Stealth, please drop me an email and let me know about your experience with the .22 Mag. MOA???

I'll send you an E-mail on Monday or Tuesday and give you the info.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I believe you can get a heavy barreled version in 25-06. I have had 2 and worked on the trigger on both and ended up with very nice rifles. You might want to check with the factory to see if you can get another cal. barrel fitted to a frame so you can have several cal. with the same trigger pull.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Different caliber barrels can be mounted on one frame.  I forget the price but I think it’s about $75 for a second barrel.  The frame has to be shipped to the factory for fitting.

See:  www.hr1871.com/
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 12:53:35 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll send you an E-mail on Monday or Tuesday and give you the info.

I must apologize.  I went varmint shooting vs target shooting so I didn't have a chance to test out my newest rifle.  I will send the info to you when I test it.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top