Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2002 1:38:11 PM EDT
Let me preface this by saying I am NOT interested in buying one of these, as I understand the legal problems involved.

On the Bushmaster website, you can order one of these kits, but they first want to see your Form 4.  Makes sense to me.

Now, I was looking thru the latest Sportsmansguide catalog, and I noticed they have these things for sale, with no mention of the legality whatsoever.

This makes me wonder...does Bushmaster only ask for the Form 4 to cover their own asses?  Does the law technically require paperwork to buy these kits?

Again, I'm not interested in buying...just curious.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 1:43:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster is a "cover our ass" company, they only sell 11.5" barrels/ kits the same way.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 5:57:32 PM EDT
[#2]
As SKS stated, no paperwork needed.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't quite understand it, but my understanding is that you can virtually purchase whatever you want (almost), but taking delivery or actually owning it may be illegal. Has something to do with your representation as a purchaser, i.e, are you a "legal purchaser", a seller cannot necessarily determine if you are a legal purchaser unless they are required to do so by law, so the assumption is that you are legal. It probably has something to do with jurisdiction in terms of sales/commerce, etc. Someone with the background could certinly answer better. EXAMPLE: you go to a liquor store to buy booze, you are supposed to be 21 years old. The liquor store asks you if you are 21, you say yes (but you are only 16). No proof of age is required by law, and you look 45 years old. Who has performed the "illegal" transaction?
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 5:31:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I get the sportsmansguide also,I thought that was odd myself.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I don't quite understand it, but my understanding is that you can virtually purchase whatever you want (almost), but taking delivery or actually owning it may be illegal. Has something to do with your representation as a purchaser, i.e, are you a "legal purchaser", a seller cannot necessarily determine if you are a legal purchaser unless they are required to do so by law, so the assumption is that you are legal. It probably has something to do with jurisdiction in terms of sales/commerce, etc. Someone with the background could certinly answer better. EXAMPLE: you go to a liquor store to buy booze, you are supposed to be 21 years old. The liquor store asks you if you are 21, you say yes (but you are only 16). No proof of age is required by law, and you look 45 years old. Who has performed the "illegal" transaction?

Actually in most if not all states the liquor store is required to ID a customer under the age of 35, in your case the liquor store is lible.  

As far as the parts go there is nothing illeagal with selling them. Now buying them with no registered MG can be a problem, unless you don't own an AR15 because you dont have the ability to illeagaly convert anything you own so you can have them.  To someone who does not own an AR the burst control parts are about as usefull as an ashtray to a non smoker.

Link Posted: 4/29/2002 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#6]
It is my understanding that posession of ANY M16 parts constitutes posession of an automatic weapon... according to the ATF. (especially if you have a firearm that the parts will fit into)... (I have read various ATF letters that state something similar to this.)

This explains why Bushmaster makes you fill out the forms: On page 31 of the 2002 Bushmaster PDF catalog, it states:

A BUSHMASTER STATEMENT REGARDING MACHINEGUN PARTS

BATF's position is that if your AR15 type rifle contains even one M16 component, it is a Machine
Gun. If you own an AR15 from any manufacturer, check to make sure there are no M16
components in it's assemblies. If there are, remove them immediately; machine them to AR
configuration or have them replaced and destroy the M16 components. Refer to the illustrations
below to determine if you have M16 components in your assemblies. If you have any questions
about your parts, give us a call and we’ll be glad to supply you with the legally acceptable parts.
Sales of M16 components by Bushmaster/Quality Parts Co. will only be made to the following
categories of customers:
(1) Class 3 (NFA) Dealer.
(2) Individual who has a registered NFA weapon.
(3) Federal Firearms Licensee with a customer who has a registered NFA weapon.
Note the Differences* Between the Corresponding Parts in Each.........

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top