Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2002 8:35:37 PM EDT
Ok I would love to have an M16 full auto but I don't have that kind of money.

I've heard of a lightning link or DIAS that you can buy that is already registered that can be installed in an AR15.

Now I have a few questions.

1) Can a lightning link be installed in a preban or postban? Or will it only fit in the preban?

2) Do you have to have M16 parts in the lower along with an M16 carrier or will it work with the AR15 parts and carrier?

3) Is the lightning link and DIAS the same thing?

4) Are they cheaper to buy then buying a whole full auto rifle?

5) Are they hard to find or are there company's that sell registered lightning links?

I know all about the forms I have to fill out and the tax stamp. I just heard about these and was wondering if they work or would it be better to buy a complete rifle.

Hope you can answer all my questions.

Thanks

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:40:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:15:13 PM EDT
[#2]
1) Legally you can install it in either a post-ban or pre-ban receiver, fit will depend on the manufacture.

2) No M16 parts required, it uses your standard AR15 parts.

3) Nope.

4) Your better off with a real M16, considering that the price gap between a RDIAS and a LL are almost neck n neck with a registered receiver.  Some RDIAS range are about 5k in price now, LL should be around the 3~4k range…

5) I haven’t seen any yet – but I know they are out there

If your itching for an M16, you may want to get a lone and get one of these while they are semi reasonable in price…
www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=3716061

- Sulaco
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 12:02:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks sulaco for clearing everything up for me.

Now I have another question, whats the difference between lightning link and DIAS??

I saw a pic on the net of either the LL or DIAS I'm not sure which it was. It had a base with a spring loaded lever in the center. Which is that?

Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#4]
The LL is a little piece of sheet metal that fits into your receiver that causes the disconnect to disengage the hammer just before the bolt carriage locks the bolt in place.  This is not a slam fire because the bolt is properly engaged before the hammer hits the firing pin.  The advantage of the LL is that you can use your current AR15 lower parts kit and bolt.  I have read that LL that has been properly made will out live your rifle, but like they say – only believe half of what you read.

The DIAS <Drop In Auto Sear> actually emulates the action of the M16 auto sear, so in order for it to work correctly you need an M16 lower parts kit and an M16 bolt carriage.  The difference between an M16 parts kit and the AR15 parts kit is that the M16 parts kit have some extra material so that the parts can work with the sear, other than that they are essentially the same part.

Lightning Link

DIAS

Both of these items are actually pretty small, under two inches in length or so…  

- Sulaco
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks again sulaco. The DIAS was what I had seen.

Since the price of a RDIAS is so high I guess I'll just save my pennies and buy a registered full auto rifle.

I might even think about a loan so I can get it faster.

Thanks again, you've been a big help.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 12:26:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Well if you live in an area that allows full autos and you know you can get it sighed for by the CLEO, I say would say get a lone and try to get a bushmaster while they are still semi reasonable.  If you ask anyone in the full auto forums they will say buy now, pay later.  5k is a lot for a gun, you could buy 4 mint pre-ban AR15’s for that much.  You’ll have to make the design weather it’s worth it or not.  If it were up to me I would own one auto and the rest could be semi auto – but can’t afford an auto<not to mention the lengthy paperwork involved here in CA>.  

Unless the laws change <which they haven’t for almost 16 years now> you would pretty much be guaranteed a return on this investment, a $6,000 loan will cost you probably less than $200 a month for 36 months.  Will the auto be worth 7200 in three years, could very well be.

If you go the Registered Receiver wrought, bushmaster makes a better lower than Colt.
- Sulaco
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top