Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2002 6:38:29 AM EDT
Being sort of new to the AR-15 world, I was wondering what all of you might think about how accurate I am shooting offhand.  Basically I tack up a 8x10 paper at 100 yards.  Offhand rapid shooting (about one round every one or two seconds)I am able to place an average of 26 hits out of 30 on target in roughly a 10" group.  Kneeling, I more often than not score 30 out of 30.

Is this terrible?  I read so many posts about sub-MOA groups that I am beginning to wonder.  I do realize that my groups would shrink dramatically if I went to the bench, but I like to stand and shoot.  How good should an average shooter be offhand at 100 yards?

By the way, my equipment is a Rock River CARA3, 16", flattop,with Eotech Holosight.  I shoot Wolf and South African mil. spec.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:48:24 AM EDT
[#1]
im no expert, but i think it's good shooting, standing offhand.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:58:46 AM EDT
[#2]
For casual shooting, I'd say that was pretty good.  A master or high-master can do 2-3" groups offhand in slow fire.  On a GOOD day, I'm more like 5" groups @ 100 in slow fire.  You'll never get MOA in offhand shooting, but you can in prone.

I recommend you find the closes high-power NRA/service rifle match in your area.  That's a fun way to meet folks.  At our club, we have 12-20 shooters per month and 80% shoot AR's.  We have a few excellent shooters and a winning score will be 770+ out of 800.  That is the best way to measure your ability.

Course of fire (iron sights only):
(1) Offhand: 20 rounds 20 minutes
(2) Rapid sitting: 10 rounds 60 seconds (start from standing; 10 rnds incl mag change;done twice for total of 20 rounds)
(3) Rapid prone: Like rapid sitting but you get 70 seconds
(4) Prone: 20 rounds 20 minutes
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#4]
if youre in the black youre in good shape bud.
dont fret about the bench shooters, they have no sacs!!!!  

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:00:07 PM EDT
[#5]
In my humble opinion is, if it's smaller than a man's chest, and you hit it, you're okay.

I get strange looks from the other people at the range when I don't benchrest shoot.

Oddly enough it's all the guys with Bolt action hunting rifles shooting from the bench, and us AR type folks shooting from prone and a knee.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 6:11:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I just got a Bushmaster Shorty a couple of weeks ago. I took it out to shoot last weekend and had a blast! No jams at all in firing around 200 rds. I was shooting at 100yrds with left over handgun paper targets. I mostly shoot handguns and was just mainly shooting to see how the rifle would work. Let me tell you, I could hardly see any targets at that range with iron sites! How do you guys do it! I did see some large 12" targets that I will try next time I shoot. Oh I did hit my small targets pretty good, all over the target! All of the other shooters had scopes and said that I should get one, but I thought It was fun with open sites!
Guess I'll just have to buy more ammo and shoot more!!
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Let me tell you, I could hardly see any targets at that range with iron sites! How do you guys do it

Honestly, I use Shoot N' Sees for 100-200 yards with irons.

I can do ok without them, but they make it easier.

Actually, I typically get some decent groups (keep in the 9 ring at 100 yards) with off-hand slow fie, 8 ring rapid.

I suck at the bench.  I can't relax and fidget a lot, but off-hand feels a lot more natural.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 6:11:23 PM EDT
[#8]
How good is good enough that is a hard question to answer.  When I got into paper punching there was no place for open sights.  I was trying to get 5 shots one hole at 100 yards, rifle was tricked up and cost me a bunch of money, it also weighed a ton.  Why was I trying to do this, I have no idea becuase it could never be done in a feild situation.  I then grew out of that phase and put togather a cheap little 16" with open sights and was that ever fun.  I could not believe how good and fast you could shoot open sights.  We set up a range with 10, 20, 50 and 100 yards target.  We called it running and gunning 3 shoots to the body one to the head timed.  I was amazed at how fast you could go through the coure and how few misses you would get.  Mine mostly came from missed head shots.  Then I later shot traces at knob creek with my father in law with that 16".  I had the front sight at 500 and we lobbed enough tracers in to a stump to start in smoking while it was raining out.  The amazing thing is at that range if I did not hit the stump I was damn close.  So I now look at it like this.  If I can hit the target or object at the range that is needed I am shooting good enough.  Now this does not say I do not need practice.  We all need to keep shooting and keep getting better.    
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#9]
It depends on whether you consider your rifle a tool or a toy. If you consider it a tool, it is plenty good. If you consider it a toy, then you need to shoot all Xs, ie, approximately 1 minute.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
In my humble opinion is, if it's smaller than a man's chest, and you hit it, you're okay.

I get strange looks from the other people at the range when I don't benchrest shoot.

Oddly enough it's all the guys with Bolt action hunting rifles shooting from the bench, and us AR type folks shooting from prone and a knee.

Exactly.  If you can plug a gallon milk jug every time, you're good to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top