Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2002 9:00:06 PM EDT
I'm trying to decide on a shotgun.  After looking at the 11-87 and deciding that its not all that much more for the benelli I decided on one of the the following two.  The Super Black Eagle and the M1 field.  I will be using it for trap and skeet and possibly bird hunting.  I'm trying to decide whether the Super Black Eagle is worth the extra $200.  The M1 was $839 and the Super Black Eagle is $1050.  The only real difference I could find is that the Super Black Eagle can shoot anything up to 3 1/2" shells and the M1 can do anything up to 3".  Are there other differences?  Is there a big advantage to the 3 1/2 shells?  Are there accessories available for both?  Such as 18" barrel, mag extensions, side saddles, etc.  What do you guys think?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:07:17 PM EDT
[#1]
The Super Black Eagle is 3.5" and really the only advantage of a 3.5" over a 3" is a longer shot string.  If you plan on shooting alot of geese pass shooting or maybe some long shots on turkeys then I'd say get the 3.5".  If not I'd got with the M1.  I bought an M1 Super 90 with a 24" barrel back in October and love the gun.  But I am in the process of selling it, so I can buy an AR15!  :)  

If anyone is interested in a slightly used Benelli drop me an e-mail.

Yes you can find accessories for both, the M1 will be easier to find them for and probably cheaper.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 5:14:27 AM EDT
[#2]
What are you looking to get out of your M1?

BTT
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:56:03 AM EDT
[#3]
My personal opinion would be if you plan to mostly use it for skeet / trap and other clays games I'd get the 11/87 because its a gas operated shotgun. Gas guns smooth out the recoil, which does add up after shooting hundreds of shells in a day.

The Benellis are good hunting guns but they are recoil operated. Recoil operation is actually simpler but like I said will not reduce recoil. Also the Benellis I have held are very light - good for a field gun, bad for a target gun.

My personal favorites are the Browning Gold and Beretta AL390 FWIW.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 8:28:51 AM EDT
[#4]
You've had some good advice here.  I own both 11-87s and a couple of M1S90s. Unless you are going after big birds with the gun, I'd skip the SBE.

I shoot clay birds informally with some friends, maybe a 100 rds/afternoon, and sporting clays a few times a year. Unless you are recoil sensitive, I don't think you'll notice that much difference between the Benelli and 11-87 with target loads. The difference is more obvious with magnum loads. If you are a league shooter, shooting many 1000s of rounds a year, a gas gun might be better.

If you can, shoulder the guns and see which fits you better. The Benellis should come with stock shims, so you can adjust for a better fit. I am partial to the Benelli for most bird shooting, except for turkey hunting. I usually hunt with an SP-10, but if my back hill seems steeper than normal, I'll take out my 11-87. I also have an 11-87 set up for slug shooting.

The Benelli action and chrome lined barrels make cleaning a snap. The Benellis are also extremely fast cycling. I like to try my Tom Knapp imitation every once in a while, tossing 5 clay birds up in the air and (attempting!) to bust them before they hit the ground. Usually, the ground wins. Yeah, I know he can do this w/8 birds...

You will like the Benelli!

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Make that 9 birds  So is the 3" shell to small for turkeys and geese?
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#6]
i would go with the M1s90 unless you plan on goose hunting
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys, I think I will go with the Super 90.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top