User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2002 4:36:50 PM EDT
I picked up a M1 Garand today for $550.00
It is a Whinchester
Serial 2,475,967
Barrel Markings   2102   BSID561955
Bolt/Carrier  D28287-19SA
                 B-14

If you know from these numbers anything about this gun I would appreciate the info. Also did I pay to much? Thanks for the info

bcr308
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Your receiver was made August 1944.

It looks like it has a 1955 barrel on it.

Go here to find out lots of Garand info...

www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/garand/garand.pl

Go here to find out WWII serial number ranges.

www.jouster.com/serial/serial.html

Cheers,
Chris

P.S. Here is a pic of my May 1945 Springfield. :-)

Link Posted: 4/24/2002 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless it's in dogshit condition, you got a great deal. Winchester Garands tend to be sought after. I'm not sure why as mine ain't that great...

Matt

Quoted:
I picked up a M1 Garand today for $550.00

Also did I pay to much? Thanks for the info

bcr308

Link Posted: 4/24/2002 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw a Winchester at the gun show this past weekend... it wasn't in GREAT shape, but it wasn't too shabby either.  I was able to work the action, and it felt OK, but the side of the BBL you can see that's covered by the op rod looked pretty pitted.  I have no idea what the bore looked like.  It was marked $650.  If I could have gotten the guy to $550, I might have taken it, but I didn't talk to the guy... darn.  

I'm waiting so I can order one from the CMP.

Link Posted: 4/24/2002 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#4]
If it`s in decent shape......you got a great buy.....winchesters are higher priced...depending on the particular gun.....make sure of what it is before (and if) you ever think of getting off it......great shooters.....lots of fun......
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#5]
The CMP Service Grades used to all sell for $519 delivered to your door. Now, you can choose the maker...and pay a little extra to get what you want.

The "Danish" lend-lease Garands sell for about $400.

The lower "Rack Grades" sell for even less..but are usually in worse shape.

Go thru the requirements and get a CMP Gun, according to your budget. They are checked out by armorers who know and love the guns, and the customer service is excellent.

They are accurate even at 60 years old or worse...and the history is un-imaginable.

I got a Springfield 1943 with a matching fall '43 barrel in virtually correct shape. Some wood  dings and worn parkerizing..but i suspect it saw action in WWII...and I'm giving the old veteran a nice retirement!

Consider doing the same!
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 8:43:31 PM EDT
[#6]
The recvr was made July 44, The barrel is Italian ( BSID is Beretta ) made in 1955. The rest of the parts are USGI springfield. Most likely you have a put together parts kit gun but for $ 550 it's still a good deal. BTW one of my CMP WRA garands is only about 600 in serial # away from yours.....Tan.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:54:12 PM EDT
[#7]
sounds like a danish gun to me!....i am so glad they gave them back!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top