Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2002 4:23:30 PM EDT
My father has a Winchester model 100 in .308, and he said that certain model seems to have a curse on it.  The iron sights look like they were made for a different model, and he said the sights work great if you planned to shoot nothing closer than 500 yards.  The channel in the stock for attaching the action was a bit oversize, and the stock cracked when he re-tightened it.  It required alot of effort to tear it down for cleaning.  I've heard of fragile firing pins in some model 100's, but nothing that could be confirmed.

Does anyone have any experience or know anything about this model?
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never heard any failures of the firing pins in them . They did have bad sear pins in some and Winchester did re-call them and fixed them for free.  The sights on my Winchester Model 100, 308 are good, but I am shooting a Leupold scope on it and have only used the iron sights once for fun.  If you have more questions let me know.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys!  The link to the other post was greatly appreciated.  One friend thought it was a Marlin .22 before I fired it.  My dad thinks he got it in either '65 or '66.  It has the original Weaver 4x scope and it shoots ok.  I took the original tip-off scope mount off it because it would loosen and lose it's zero.  Like I said, the iron sights weren't usable.  It must have been friday at quitting time when the sights were mounted.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 12:41:41 AM EDT
[#4]
My model 100s sights seemed to work just fine for me.  Once I inhereted the rifle from my dad I put a 4x scope on it.  I never sent it in for the recall, but I haven't had any problems with it.  One cool thing is my brother handed me a box of old ammo that had been sitting in his closet for 20 years and there were four extra mags in there.  Cheapest mags I'd seen up till then was 40 bucks. My dad actually had two and my brother has the other.  My dad probably took about 50 deer with that one.  Mine was pretty much unfired.  I've never tried taking it apart to clean it though.  Just shot in some gun scrubber then some Corrosion X to lubricate.  Seems to work just fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top