Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2002 2:49:40 PM EDT
I bought a cheapy milsurp Hungarian M44 (Mosin Nagant) at the gunshow last weekend.  It is in pretty good condition.  The bore is perfect, the bolt seems good, and the wood is great other than a patch of open grain on the left side near the back of the receiver.  

All the #'s match: Bolt, Floorplate, receiver, butt pad, barrel.

The wood seems lighter in the picture than it is, damn flash.  The wood is about the color of the front handguard area all over.

Took it apart to clean it, man that cosmoline is some nasty crap, took me 6 hours to strip, clean, oil and put back together (overnight to dry before putting back together).

let me know what you think.

Steven L.

Gotta get a No-Go, Go gauge and firing pin protrusion checker so I can light it up!  Can't wait.

P.S. anyone know of any good sites about them besides mosin-nagant.net.  Anyone else have one?  Are they usually fairly accurate?  Just looking for a good plinker, might buy a second stock to restore, just for kicks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like you got an excellent deal. Congrats. The wood looks nice and so does the bluing. You may want to consider test firing it from a stand of some sort with a string on the trigger for the first 1 or 2 rounds and really looking hard at the brass for signs that there is a problem with the chamber.
Good one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Im "suprised" Zaitsev could hit the side of a barn with that thing no less someones grape in a window!!

Im probably all wet, she's a tack driver right??

Cool rifle for 60 bones!!

Semper-Fi Do or Die, 03 out!!

Major Koenig =      
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 3:36:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Wait til you fire it in the evening or after dark, the fireball is really impressive.  Looks like a keeper.  Why not buy another $60 rifle instead of just a spare stock?  You'd still have a stock to refinish and a complete spare parts set to boot (although I cant see any parts on a M44 ever breaking...built like a tank).
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 4:49:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Try this link
milsurpshooter.net
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 5:01:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I love my m44.  The thing shoots like a canon.  I shot it at the gun range last week and the walls and ceiling shook. =)

This site is an excellent resource.

www.russian-mosin-nagant.com

Tapco is a great site for all sorts of parts...

www.tapco.com

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 2:12:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the comments guys.  I have been to www.russian-mosin-nagant.com and www.tapco.com before.  The milsurpshooter.net was a new one on me though.  Thanks, lots of good info there and pretty firearm specific too!

Can't wait to go blasting this beast!

Heehehehehe

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#8]
One cautionary note. Be careful where you place your support hand, the kick will let you know that bayonet works folded too!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top