Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2002 7:12:52 PM EDT

i cant decide if i should get a p226.  it is between the sig and the Croatian HS-2000 (aka Springfield Xtreme Duty, what a jackass name).  the sig is bigger, yes.  the sig is more expensive, definitely.  both are ugly guns, but to me beauty is in performance.

i lean towards the sig, but im not sure if the extra couple hundred dollars is justified.

somebody help me out here.

-Spaceman

Link Posted: 4/23/2002 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Sig P226, I think it's worth the extra. I've seen used P226s for about $500 in "Shotgun News" recently. I believe they're police dept. trade ins.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#2]
The Sig, definitely.  You got another decision to make. 9mm, .40 S&W or my favorite .357 Sig.
In 40 or 357 the hi caps hold 12 rounds.  Two rounds isn't worth paying the high price.  IMHO, of course.

Marty

Link Posted: 4/23/2002 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Take the proven system. Take the Sig whats your life worth? Im not saying that the XD isnt or wont prove to be a capable weapon but that has yet to be seen. I've got a P-228 and P-239.
Good Luck
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Sig, definately the Sig. I just got a 220 and shot it today.............TALK ABOUT SWEEEEEET ! YMMV
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The SIG P226 is an absolute workhorse.  It, along with the Beretta 92, was designed for the US military procurement competition.  They are designed to be rugged, reliable and accurate.

SIG's have some of the best stock DA/SA triggers out there.

SIG's (particularly the P226) have excellent reliability.  We can all tell our war stories, but needless to say the P226 actually won the military procurement tests, but the Beretta beat it out with a lower parts price (speculation is insider information and us wanting nukes in Italy).  The P226 should have been the US military sidearms if not for cost and politics.

SIG's are extremely accurate for stock guns.  They're in the top rung of out of the box guns, and may even be the best in their given catagory.

SIG's are a known system.  As much as I think the HS-2000 is neat (I don't work well with Glocks, so it may be an attractive alternative), they don't have the miles into them that soldiers, cops, and citizens have on the P226 and other SIG systems.

Yes, SIG's are worth the extra money.

EDITED for typos and to say that I think SIG's are really great looking guns.  Heck, I think Glocks look okay (form over function).  1911's are beautiful.  You want ugly, let's talk about Ruger centerfire semiautos.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought my P226 in Germany in 1990.  It's now got over 42000 rounds through it.  I bought my Beretta 92FS in 91.  I ditched it in '94.  Go with the SIG.  The HS2000 has a good rep, but it's a short one.  The P226 is a workhorse.  The newer, milled slide models are even nicer (but heavier).  Go for the .40 and you can convert to 9mm, but not the other way around.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, the P226 is expensive, but it is my favorite 9mm.  I also have Glock 19 and CZ-85 but I shoot a much better group with the Sig than the other 2 guns.  I just plain love all Sigs.  My P229(.40SW) is a real work of art.  The P220(.45ACP) and P228(9mm) rank up there also.

As an added bonus, there are still P226 hi-caps around for reasonable prices.

Spambo
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 8:04:44 PM EDT
[#8]

yes, ive heard that you can convert the .40 P226 into 9mm.  in fact, that is what id really like to do.  i like the idea of being able to shoot cheap 9mm (i shoot a lot) while still having the option of a more powerful round.

my questions with this are about the magazines:

are the 9mm and .40/.357 mags the same width? do they function in the same mag well?

if i get 9mm high caps, will they still feed with the .40s? (ive looked, and the nines are MUCH cheaper)

the idea of shooting 9mm out of a gun chambered for .40 smith appeals to me greatly.

little recoil.  

extended component life due to the milder forces involved.  

plus a 3 caliber setup would just be fun to tinker with.  and im all about that :)

-Spaceman

Link Posted: 4/23/2002 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

...both are ugly guns,...

You take that back, YOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 12:52:10 AM EDT
[#10]

ok ok the Sig is pretty. i was wrong. you are right :)

BTT
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 12:56:19 AM EDT
[#11]

anyone else have any opinions?

anyone know about the mags?

-Spaceman
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 1:10:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Definetly....go w/ the SIGs. Extremely accurate and reliable. I have several of their models...(2)P226's, (1)P228, (1)P239, & (1)P220. I plan on getting another P220 and P245. The reason for two P226's, is that one is a dedicated nightgun(it has a surefire light). I plan on doing the same w/ the other P220.

Adrian

PS: It's part of my screenname.....so yeah I'm prejudiced.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 1:18:07 AM EDT
[#13]
As far as the mags go...stick w/ the factory mags. I have shot several thousands of rounds of ammo through my guns and have had a handfull of FTF & FTE, and that was due to the ammo(Blazer aluminum-cased ammo & reloads). The factory mags will have SIG SAUER stamped on the side and have a zigzag pattern on the back of the mag. Be extremely wary of non-factory mags. Although, I have heard that MECGARS work well, I still stick to factory mags.

Adrian
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 6:29:53 AM EDT
[#14]
The big plus to the XD is that (according to one gun rag review I've read) that the XD can use other guns' magazines (by cutting a notch into the front of the magazine).

It's just what I heard.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:22:01 AM EDT
[#15]
The second handgun I ever bought (after a Ruger Mark II stainless bull barrel) was a Sig Sauer P226, GREAT pistol.  I sold it a few years later when I ran into sever financial trouble (I wish I hadn't)

I now own a Sig Sauer P220 (.45 ACP) and it kicks tail.  Great handling firearm with a smooth DA/SA trigger decent sights and flawless performance.  While I have suffered a couple failures to feed with the gun, they were easily traced to my handloads (LSWC).  I have NEVER experienced a failure of any sort with either ball or self-defense JHPs.

Sig Sauer makes some of the best firearms in the world.

Chuck Taylor considers the P22x family of DA/SA handguns to be the most efficient DA/SA's made bar none.  That's pretty high praise from the avowed 1911 man.

The SEALs unilaterally dumped the Beretta and procured P226's for the Teams. The Army issues P228's to CID and MPI agents as well.

Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:31:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Be extremely wary of non-factory mags. Although, I have heard that MECGARS work well, I still stick to factory mags.

Adrian

Mec-Gar makes all of Sigs factory mags.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 9:41:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a 226 in .40 and I love it. I also have a 92FS and the Sig  beats it hands down. As far as the mag issue I bought 8 9mm magazines (all aftermarket) and they all work just fine. The same magazines fit all of the Sig's. At least according to the website I looked at which I can't remember the name of stated that the 15-rd 9mm mags will fit the .40/.357, however they will only hold 12-rd. In my experience this is correct. Kind of a tight fit when inserting the mag but it works reliably for me. Hope this info helps.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 10:05:48 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't own a 226, but I own a 228 and an HS2000.  I like them both and I've never had a problem/stoppage with either one.  I appreciate the simplicity of operation: pull trigger = goes bang (no manual safeties to screw around with).  

The main difference is that the Sig has that double-action first shot (even though it is smooth, it's still heavier & longer).  This is not a concern if you practice a lot with DA/SA pistols.  Trigger pull on the HS2000 is consistent for all shots.  And yes, Beretta 92 mags with a slot cut in the front work great in the HS2000 (and still work perfectly in my Beretta).  One last thing to consider...not every holster manufacturer makes holsters for the HS2000.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Link Posted: 4/24/2002 10:07:42 AM EDT
[#19]
HEY!  My stainless steel/synthetic brick (Ruger P97) is beautiful! http://home.att.net/~shaw_peter/kp97db.gif

Shok

home.att.net/~shaw_peter/Shok13.html
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#20]
My first handgun was a Sig 226 in 9mm.  I shot consistent head shots at 25 yards.  The damn thing is as accurate as all hell.  I own five hi cap mags and love it.  I also own a NIB sig 228 I bought in 1994.  Both are made in W. Germany.  I know, just Germany now.  Anyways, I am so glad I have both guns.  I own two spare 13 rds mags with my sig 228.

Bottom line, go with what is proven.  $200 bucks difference, although it is alot, it is nothing when you consider it over time and the quality and reliability you will have.

Go SIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 10:30:15 AM EDT
[#21]
I've had a P226 since the late 1980s and have put countless rounds through it.  Not one reliability problem - it eats anything I feed it. Accurate, too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 10:43:35 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

anyone else have any opinions?

anyone know about the mags?

-Spaceman

The 9mm mags are a little thinner than the .40/.357SIG mags.  This doesn't matter, as they'll fit and function in a .40 gun.  They will rattle from side to side a little at the base, but they work fine.  Same goes for the P229, the mags will rattle, but work.  I understand that you can use the .40 mags for 9mm with no problems, though.  I'm thinking of converting my P229 (.40 and 357SIG) to 9mm as well.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 12:36:31 AM EDT
[#23]
KStateRodeo,

Thanks for the info. I've heard of their reliability but wasn't aware that they made mags for SIG SAUER.

Adrian
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Spiff,

you can't go wrong with the sig.  I've got one of the early American mag release P220's with thousands of rounds through it.  I've never had a FTF, except when the tip on the extractor broke....8 days later, new extractor from Sig, no charge.  On the occasions when I NEED to carry, no question, no thought, grab the sig.  Also, have a friend who's had a P226 for about 10 years now.  Same experience except when using an aftermarket Promag(unmitigated crap) and it prefers factoy ammo or full power reloads.

BUY the Sig.  But, get it in .40, you can also shoot 9mm with it too.

Enjoy

Dan
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 12:44:32 PM EDT
[#25]
btt
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
KStateRodeo,

Thanks for the info. I've heard of their reliability but wasn't aware that they made mags for SIG SAUER.

Adrian

They just recently got the contract to produce mags for SIG.  Unfortunately, part of that is a non-compete clause, meaning that MecGar can no longer sell the same mags under their own name.  Which sucks, because they cost a lot less without the SIG name on them.

Edited to add that this really only applies to 10 rounders, since we're talking about new mags.  But if you find any pre-ban MecGar hi caps, by all means buy them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top