Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2002 6:30:39 PM EDT
I was watching the latest episode of J.A.G. tonight and noticed an AR-15 made by Olympic Arms on the show.  In the scene where Lt. Col. MacKenzie (Catherine Bell) is shooting a rifle qualification course, there is a close-up of the left side of the receiver on her M-16/AR-15 rifle.  The Olympic Arms "Lowenbrau" Dragon style insignia is unmistakable on the side of the lower receiver.

I'm just curious when the U.S. Marine Corps went to Oly M-16's?

Perhaps it's just Hollywood.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe the USMC decided to go with the Oly "Plinker" line.

Unmatched quality, outstanding customer service and top of the line industry status among AR makers.

When you have a budget like the USMC, why not go with the very, VERY best AR money can buy?
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#3]
heaven forbid! although i have seen some Bushmaster rifles in our armory. VERY old M4s with fixed handles and skinny handguards.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#4]
You mean you noticed something other than Catherine Bell in that scene? I won't ask.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 7:50:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, you've just admitted to watching the worst show on TV (now tht "Walker, Texas Ranger" has ended.)  Is there anything else you'd like to confess?

I'm serious.  That is the most insipid show I've ever seen.  It makes the Marines look like idiots and makes the Navy look worse.  I can't believe the USN sponsors that POS.  The Marines ought to sue for defamation.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I noticed that this time also.  It was actually I had seen that scene before, so it was a rerun, but naturally I had to watch it again.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 5:46:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I wonder if shooting milspec issue ammo voids their warranty?  Maybe the USMC only shoots match ammo.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Regardless of what your opinions of Olympic's products are, tongue in cheek or not, Olympic is, and has been for some time, the largest provider of AR15/M16 variants for prop houses in Hollywood.

Since the demise of Stembridge (a HUGE customer of ours in years past), ISS (Independent Studio Services) has taken over as the largest prop-gun warehouse in the business. Some of the old Stembridge guys work there now. There are however many weapons providers for movie studios these days, ISS is hardly the only one, they are just the largest. We deal with at least 4-5 others outside of ISS that are constantly in need of something "yesterday" to be able to meet production schedules. It is certainly a unique industry to work with/in.

We sell not only non-gun exact replica's of just about every era AR/M16, but also true firing, blank firing and parts and component sales as well.

We have never had a "Hollywood" check bounce!

Tom S.
Oly Arms
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 10:18:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Tom, a quick question.  Can you supply pre-ban or military configured firing (real)weapons to the motion picture industry without violating the '94 AW ban? I understand that prop and mock ups would be considered non-firarms but what about the actual firing weapons?
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 11:03:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well, you've just admitted to watching the worst show on TV (now tht "Walker, Texas Ranger" has ended.)  Is there anything else you'd like to confess?

I'm serious.  That is the most insipid show I've ever seen.  It makes the Marines look like idiots and makes the Navy look worse.  I can't believe the USN sponsors that POS.  The Marines ought to sue for defamation.

You shouldn't hold back; what do you really think of the show?

Although, I confess that I'm a bit confused. While not a regular watcher of the show, I do catch it on occasion. I've yet to see a television program that portrayed anything with absolute authenticity (that's why they're TV shows and not documentaries) -- whether it's medicine, law, government, police work or the military. Some are better than others but ALL take some license. But I thought that the point of this particular show was to paint the Navy and, by extension, the Marine Corps as rather heroic. I don't get the defamation.

Going back on topic, I never thought too much about the brand of firearms used in movies and tv shows because I had always assumed that they were some type of props -- especially after the Brandon Lee incident -- and not "real." I guess I've been living under a rock; it's interesting to learn that there's a little more authenticity than I thought there was. Maybe I'll start paying more attention.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 12:42:37 PM EDT
[#11]
what happens to all those weapons ?
example.. all the weapons from movies that are finished... are they destroyed since they are considered post 94 AW (or are they)? are they auctioned off somewhere as regular movie stuff that is no longer needed?
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#12]
They go into storage until needed for something else.

I didn't watch 'Combat Missions' very much, but when I did all of the rifles I saw were Olympic.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 4:09:33 AM EDT
[#13]
wow u must have some good eyes!!!  I sure didn't see any gun close enuff or long enuff to make them out.

Quoted:
I didn't watch 'Combat Missions' very much, but when I did all of the rifles I saw were Olympic.

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:00:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, if the M4s used on Combat Missions were Oly Arms rifles that would explain the problems the SEAL had with his rifle on the final show.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 7:06:14 AM EDT
[#15]
You Oly bashers should like form a club where you can elect officers, collect dues, and argue about what teh secret handshake should be like.

Seriously, I've had several Oly products, and never had a FTE, FTF or any other functional problems.

For the price, their quality is acceptable, and I don't find their fit and finish significantly worse than anyone elses.

I mean Geez. They tell ya not to shoot crap Wolf ammo right on their website, you know this, you go out and buy an Oly, and then shoot crap Wolf ammo in it. Hello....McFly???? Far as I'm concerned, I like a tight chamber. its good for accuracy, or at least that's teh rumor.

The ONLY beef I've ever had with Oly is with one or two jerk salesmen. And I don't beleive they work for the company anymore.

But by all means, continue with your monthly " Oly Bashers support group" meeting.

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 8:32:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Tom, a quick question.  Can you supply pre-ban or military configured firing (real)weapons to the motion picture industry without violating the '94 AW ban? I understand that prop and mock ups would be considered non-firearms but what about the actual firing weapons?

No, we cannot. We simply sell them firing post ban weapons that they somehow convert to blank-firing only, in a method that is consistent with arrangements made with BATF as to make them "Non-Guns". They do make permanent mods to the lowers, uppers and barrels to accomplish this.

We also sell quite a few "look alike" only models that leave here as non-guns. They have welded chambers, welded barrels, un-machined lowers inside etc. The mags will lock in, the sights work and move, the trigger moves so if you wanted to do a close up of the trigger pull you can.

Just an FYI...

Tom S.
Oly Arms
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 9:23:32 AM EDT
[#17]
i dont get the oly bashing either. those $79 cast lowers are great for Tapco kits and franken-guns, and i hear they make one of the best broach cut target barrels available for the AR. if only they would chrome line a bore id probably still have an oly upper
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top