Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2002 8:18:33 PM EDT
I am thinking abour buying one but I was concerned with SA receivers' being cast.  Does anyone ever had problems with SA's receivers?  i.e. crack etc.??
Renn
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#1]
1) I'm no pro.
2) I've never heard of a problem w/ cast S'field receivers.
3) MK Specialties is making forged receivers.  They're on the web.
4) Also check Fulton Armory site re: Chinese receivers.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:31:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Renn,

I'm no expert (though I play one on the internet).  As far as I know there is no concern with the SA recievers being cast.  Metalurgy has come a long way in the last 50 years and a cast SA reciever should last you your lifetime, and most of your kids too.

The real issue with SA today is the cast parts used otherwise.

A SA with USGI parts (i.e. bolt, oprod, gas system) should be good to go.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#4]
what he said! (jimmybcool)

my SA M1A is an old timer, still going strong. Just maintain it like you should.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#5]
What jimmybcool said- nothing wrong with the receivers, some of the other cast aftermarket parts are too soft and can fail.  If you have the cash, buy a SA receiver and have someone build you a gun with all GI parts.  I can personally recommend Fulton Armory, but there are other good M1A 'smiths out there.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 2:15:17 AM EDT
[#6]
It is still the closest thing you are going to get compared to the orginal. They are very good. Don't get confused about cast versus forging for this receiver. I would rather have a good casting than a bad forging. I bought a forged nail bar made in China. I snapped it off on a 16 penny nail by hand. Not so good forging.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 1:22:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Nothing wrong with the recievers at all,however i dont like all the cast parts on them.I dont know if i trust MKS though they have screwed alot of people with the little reweld fiasco.
But Springfield has a lifetime gaurauntee so if it breaks they will replace it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 3:32:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Ditto on the SA recievers being Good, Just make sure you have USGI  Bolt, Op rod, trigger ect.  Gene
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top