Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2002 7:01:03 AM EDT
Group,

What are the tricks and traps with buying a contender?  I have read that the older Contenders have a trigger that is adjustable while the newer ones are not.  Any suggestions as how to tell what is better or not?

What is a good price for a Contender (lower or complete)?  I am looking to get a contender in 22LR, 223, 7-30 or 30-30 Winchester and then order a new SSK barrel in 300 Whisper that is threaded to share a silencer with an AR-15/M-16 upper.

If anybody has some good T/C Contender forum or other links, will you please share?  
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 11:52:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Currently don't have a TC Contender but did have a .223 and a .35 Remington with Burris 2-7x and 3x scopes.  Loved both of them.  Would not get a 35 Rem.  The round headspaces on the shoulder and had a terrible problem with two different barrels and TC even replaced the frame as well.  Would misfire 50% of the time.  But, they were great guns.  Loved that 223, killed a bunch of ground hogs with that pistol.  The trigger on my frame was very good(late 80's gun).  Don't really know about the new frames.  Go for it, they are a blast.  When that 35 would go off it really rocked you!
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 1:33:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Friend of mine checked on trigger with ret'd sales mgr. of TC who was friend of his.  Encore is not adjustable and Contender trigger scheduled to suffer same fate due to liability concerns.  

If they've changed yet I don't know but SSK or Bulberry Works should be able to advise. Too, I  seem to remember a board accessible from TC'S website.  

I'd check it out and look for an old model if they've changed.  Friend's is set right at 2 lbs. and is really nice.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know about Contender triggers, but Encores ship with about a 6# pull. I sent mine off to an Encore/Contender gunsmith by the name of Mike Bellm, who turned mine into a sweet 2#.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top