Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2002 5:03:53 AM EDT
Yep, Im a dumb ass.
I went to the range to sight in another scope and had to buy reloads at the range.

Shot it twice then it jammed, then a misfire, then a jam.
I quite immediatly after that. This gun has never jammed so I knew there was a problem with the shitty reloads.
Glad I did no damage to the gun. And I knew better.
Ok, flame repelant on.
Let me have it...

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:12:47 AM EDT
[#1]
If you properly reloaded them, you should have no prolem.  I have done it many times.  Just be sure that you properly size and trimed your shell cases, and make sure you use good brass.

I have had more problems with factory ammo than my reloads.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:26:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Number 1....Never shoot someone elses reloads unless you know they guy real well and know he has a clue.

I learned this lesson when I bought reloads for my 44 mag Blackhawk. These were 240 gr. cast lead loads. They were hot!!!! I couldn't believe the bite my hand was taking. We chrono'ed 10 shots and found an average velocity of 1592 fps. I pulled the rest of the bullets and loaded down myself. I think these were over loaded, probably they worked well in the guys own gun but they were definately too hot in mine.

Edited to add: Totally flat primers and a couple of cracked cases. I bought them at a gun show.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:16:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I've shot this guys reloads through my post ban before with no problems. I guess he made a bad batch this time.

The pre ban has worked flawlessly in the past and I was using the same magazine with it so he must have screwed up this batch.  I thought he had a clue but will scrutinize more what I shoot through the gun.

Of coarse it has to be said," Why would I spend $1400 on a gun and run shitty ammo through it?"

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:21:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I shot reloads once and it blew up in my min i14 and fucked the extracter all up, so being a complete dumbass, I thought it was just a shitty box so I shot a different box through my preban AR and it also fucked up that extracter.  Lucky for me I was able to fix both rifles but I was sure pissed.  After this happed I told my dad and he said it did not surprise him because his friend reloads this ammo while he is drunk.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:42:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Darn, I need to take my beer fridge out of my reloading/gun room.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:31:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:42:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Shooting Reloads is not a problem.
Shooting improperly reloaded ammo is.
I very rarely shoot factory ammo.
I carry factory ammo in my carry gun.
As someone stated before me.  Reloads are more accurate. Tailor for your particular gun. Less expensive.   Sometimes.  I reload some match ammo that costs more than off the shelf.
Did you have failure to feed?  Maybe not resized properly.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I load my own bullets for .308s. I'm telling you, they are the creme de le creme. But that's after you experiment and find what is optimal. Took me many cold winter nights....
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Beer+Reloading equipment=your problem
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I shot reloaded .45 LC in my thunder 5, the weapon wouldn't go bang more like a  *piff* and the rounds would go about 15 feet you could see the bullets! I bought them at the WA arms collectors show.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#11]
My friend bought some .45 reloads to run through my 1911 at the gun shop / range.  Second round jammed.  Took it out for inspection and the bullet wasn't even seated / crimped properly, the case was actually flaring out away from the bullet.  We took them back and told them about the jam and the moron blamed the jam on me possibly limp wristing it. I told him to LOOK at the round.  He still almost didn't want to blame the ammo but took it back.  What a ...

Anyway.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I shoot two kinds of reloads:  the ones I load myself, and the ones done by reputable commercial reloaders (like Black Hills).  No gunshow "specials."  No "this guy I know...."

So far, no problems, other than trying reloads with bullets that don't want to feed (50 gr. HP's that just DON'T like that ramp.)  But I could get that problem from FACTORY NEW rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top