Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2002 11:28:55 PM EDT
I'm interested in purchasing an FAL-type rifle (Is L1A1 the same thing?), but have no clue as to which manufacturer is the best?  I don't want to buy anything substandard, but I also don't want to spend and arm and a leg.

Any info on these:

WholeSale Guns & Ammo
L1A1 Sporter $398
CETME $395

J&G
.308 Caliber L1A1 $418.50

DSA INC.
STG58A--What's the diff between type 1 and 2?

IMBEL Receivers--What parts kit to go with it?

So many different types!
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 11:37:20 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want quality, I'd go with DSA.

I do not know the difference between the type 1 and type 2 receivers.  If memory serves, type 2s have a groove in the receiver to help in sand filled environments.  But I am not sure of that.

Edited to add... I realize that's a "brand" and not a "type".  That's as close as I can get with my limited knowledge of FALs.

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 12:36:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 12:59:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Get the DSA STG58a. Good luck finding one.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:09:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I would stay away from the CETME and consider the FAL's in this order. The Century L1A1 are better now. You might get a real good one, you might not. The next step is the M-444. Very good for the money. The top of the line is the DSA. They are like AR's or any other gun. The more you spend, the better your chances of getting a real winner. I feel that for the money, the M-444 is real good solid rifle.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:39:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Not too stick up for the Century Fal, But I bought one on the Hesse reciever and never have any problems. I also shoot it a lot.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:03:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#7]
The DSA STG is a good rifle, but seems to be hard to find.  You might try checking out Arizona Response Systems or AZEX ARMS- they both make excellent FAL's.  ARS will make you one on a DSA or Imbel receiver, AZEX uses mostly Imbel.  You should be very satisfied with either one.  I'd stay away from the L1A1's or the really cheap metric FAL's, quality is too hit or miss.  And I wouldn't buy a pack of cigarettes from Wholesale Guns and Ammo!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top