Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2002 5:21:32 PM EDT
What do you guys think of these 400.00 AR 15 kits minus the lower receiver. One of my buddies built one using a kit from MA Parts and a RRA lower for about 500.00. I am borrowing it Tueday for a Basic Police Tactical Rifle Class.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#1]
They have been my first choice for my building projects and I have no complaints to report.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 5:36:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Where are these kits found?  Any websites?

Thanks.
nashgill
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#4]
They are good I have used one to build my first AR from  American Spirit Arms.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Ran the course today and Qualified to carry a AR15 by the ILETB. The weapon functioned 100% my score was also 100%. I used PMP 55gr fmj ammo, USA 20 round mags and a Uncle Mike's Tactical sling(I had some Colt LE mags in case the USA did not function right). Not bad for a cheap gun, ammo, and mags. As well as a person who had never touched an AR until this class.  I signed up for a more advanced class later this summer. I think I might just build me a couple of versions of the AR15 for fun!!! I found their web site although the kit is 15.00 more than he got it for at a gunshow.   www.m-aparts.com/
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a few buddies on the force who have built up their own rifles using kits from Model 1 Sales and Olympic Arms lowers.  I say they have less than $500 in the rifles minus mags.  According to these guys the rifles function flawlessly.  I've never seen any of theirs jam during qualifications.  The guns look real attractive too.  I guess you really can have a decent gun without paying an arm and a leg.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#7]
You might want to check www.jtdistributing.com/

I've seen them at the gun shows, not too bad. For you LEOs, check the Lightweight Tactical Kit. I'm thinking of geting that one myself.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#8]
i'm suprised you had access to Colt LE mags and decided to use POS USA brand instead?
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Your buddy might have the only AR in existence that will function with USA mags. I've used a few for plinking, but they were on the receiving end, not in the rifle.

coyote3
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 2:09:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I picked up the USA mags so that I would not have to abuse my good mags.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I built my AR on a RRA lower, with an Olympic Arms PCR rifle kit. Cost right at $600 total, and it's a great rifle.  Works fine, fit and finish on all the parts are great.  The trigger is actually very sweet, so no need to replace that.  The finish on the Oly parts is excellent.  Some people think they're of poor or questionable quality, but what I have from them is top notch.

M@
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 10:24:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You might want to check www.jtdistributing.com/

I've seen them at the gun shows, not too bad. For you LEOs, check the Lightweight Tactical Kit. I'm thinking of geting that one myself.

I've built a couple kits from JT and have had no problems. UPS delivery was quick. I originally went with JT because they had what I wanted when I wanted it. I also didn't have to pay Illinois sales tax like I would have for orders from M&A or Model 1.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 11:11:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought one kit each from M&A and J&T.  The M&A had some teething problems, and some of the little springs were gunked up.  After toying with it and replacing some parts, it functioned well.  The J&T kit worked great from the beginning.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 5:54:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I've bought two J&T kits and could'nt be happier a High Rise 24 inch bull barrel w/ muzzle brake and a Expedition A2 20 inch.Add a Rock River two stage trigger an Oly lower your on the way to Nirvana...Period........Don't forget to order a scope from Bear Basin if ya' chose.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I just assembled my first kit this past week. 16' CAR from J&T on a RRA lower. Fun to do,good fit and colors on upper and lower match perfectly. I too went with J&T to avoid Il. sales tax.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#16]
J&T Distributing uses Colt and FN contract parts in their kits, and a forged front sight base. I bought my 20" HBAR kit from them five years ago and it is still running strong.

Kyle
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#17]
i will second JTdistributing. i am a repeate customer. the MA or mod 1 sales cost 400$, imo, JT is worth it for 30$ extra
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 2:38:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for you assistance, I think that I will be getting a kit from J&T very soon.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 5:19:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Hey!  I wish everyone would stop disrespecting USA magazines.  Mine worked great!...
Until the welds broke.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#20]
USA mags are great for the range. I have used them in my handguns and rifles. But they are not what I would carry in my weapons every day. They seldom lock the slide back after the last round is fired. The spring and follower are of real questionable quality. During malfunction drills and combat reloades they tend to throw any ammo left in them all over the range after the mag hits the ground. They have the look of all around poor quality. I think if I had a choice of having a USA mag in my carry gun or being unarmed. I would choose being unarmed and begging for my life than to rely on the mag functioning.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:36:14 PM EDT
[#21]
i agree with troy (who doesn't).  

"Buy right or buy twice."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top