Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2002 10:38:20 AM EDT
I have a wonderful Remington 700 PSS in .308.
But it doesn't have a detachable mag, just a spring+floorplate setup. Apparently there are some newer non-PSS 700 series rifles with bull barrels, wide foreend/grip synth. stock, etc. that have the "DM" designator and offer detachable mags.

Can my 700OPSS be upgraded to a detachable mag configuration with minimal smithing and no stock changes? H-S Precision also has a detach. mag. conversion (incl trigger guard) but dunno if this requires a lotta work.

Suggestions from RKIs welcome...

Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA

Link Posted: 4/20/2002 10:43:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Someone does a conversion to M-14 mags. I can't remember who but I'm sure someone else can point you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's an article from www.snipercountry.comthat discusses some pros and cons of detachable magazines on bolt action rifles:

Detachable Magazines:  Plague or Pleasure?

Maybe it's interesting to you.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 12:19:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the HS Precision setup on my Rem 700 in .308.  The rifle also has an HS tactical stock.  Depending on the stock you have, you may have to remove some material to allow the magazine feed lips to line up with the ramp on the receiver.  This setup has proven completely reliable.  Supposedly HS has a ten round magazine, but I have yet to see one.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#5]
HS Precision's mag system should drop right in to your stock.  I've done it on 2 PSS's without any problems.  The DM system that comes on Remington's rifles stinks.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 10:05:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd like to hear more from those who endorse HS Precision's reliability.  Might be nice to add another detachable magazine-ed bolt action to my collection.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 6:46:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Detachable Magazines:  Plague or Pleasure?
Maybe it's interesting to you.

A lot of his article is "You shouldn't have a detatchable magazine because I don't think you need one."

It takes him a while to get into actual reliability issues.  Most of them seem to be interchangeability issues... which I understand.

Here's what I don;t understand about the firearms industry:  

The comcept of interchangable parts was figured out a long time ago.... Primarily, it was invented FOR FIREARMS.   Jesus Christ on a pogo stick, what is so friggin hard about making things that will fit on every gun of a select type?  All you gotta have is the specs.  If i go buy a oil filter designed with my truck in mind, the damn thing is gonna fit.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:10:41 AM EDT
[#8]
In my experience, the HS mag conversion is extremely reliable.  It has a single-position feed, so the round sits high enough you don't get deformed bullet tips or bolt-over-base malfunctions.  The only mag system I've used that I like better for a boltgun is Accuracy International's, and you have to use their stock for that.  Their stock is worth every penny if you can afford it, IMO.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I am very happy with my HS Precision trigger guard and four round magazine on my .308, it is in a PST59 stock.  I would like to hear from anyone who has used, held, or seen the ten round magazine now available from HS. If anyone could post a photo of the ten round I would be greatful.  I would like to see one before I drop another $110 for the extra ten round magazine.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 6:47:48 AM EDT
[#10]
FWIW, I have a Remington 700 VLS in 243 that came with the standard BDL floorplate as your gun.  I spend allot of my spring and summer shooting varmints and I wanted a quick and easy way to remove my ammo to move from one field to another and Pennsylvania has laws about loaded guns too close to roads/houses.

My answer was to convert my Rem 700 VLS to a Rem 700 PSS DM clone.  To do this, all I did was purchase a Remington 700 PSS stock with the DM profile, buy a Rem 700 DM floorplate assembly and mag, and then swap the parts!

The Remington 700 BDL action is identical to the Rem 700 ADL action and it has feed lips that are built into the action.  A DM action, on the other hand, does not have the feedlips built into the action and instead relies on the feed lips built into the magazine.  I never bothered having the feedlips removed from my Rem 700 VLS action and the DM assembly and DM mags work just fine.  The DM mags are a little tighter with this setup than the DM mags I use with my 300 Win Mag that came from the factory as a DM gun, but the gun feeds just fine!

I have some photos of the parts involved at the "photos and such" link at the bottom of my webpage look in "Remington 700 VLS becomes PSS DM" folder!  See www.Quarterbore.com

One of these days I will get around to adding a full description and better pics to my webpage...
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Hoo-yah! Just got off the line with H-S Precision. Nice folks. Cool news (at least to me...):

The 700PSS uses an H-S Precision stock.  Their DM conversion kit is the cat's pajamas: it's *drop-in*, no 'smithing, user-installable: just remove the old trigger-guard/floorplate and the follower/spring assy's. Only real requirement is for screws on new floorplate to be torqued to 65ft-lbs.

Mags are teflon-coated stainless; 4 rounds, and are $62.50 ea. I can live with that, since they seem to work fine.

Thanks to all for the info, feedback, and the pointers.  Gonna have some fun with the PSS and my new ATN 4-12X60 illum reticle scope!

Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 5:04:38 AM EDT
[#12]
You didn't say how much the H-S trigger group is going to cost.... can you advise?

Also, check your details but I am 99% sure that you need to tighten your stock screws to 65-INCH POUNDS not FOOT POUNDS!  You will snap your screws or worse if you use the wrong units!!!  Sears (Craftsman) will have the correct torque wrench!

Let us know how well you like the unit if you go that route.
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 11:05:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I found a photo of the HS ten round magazine.  This company uses it on there custom actions as an option.  Above this photo they showed actions with the standard four round magazine.

http://www.prairiegunworks.com/3a5faa60.jpg

Someone feel free to work your majic and repost this as a link or make the photo appear.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2002 11:29:48 PM EDT
[#14]
The magic is a little slow tonight:
www.prairiegunworks.com/3a5faa60.jpg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top