Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2002 10:34:59 PM EDT
I remember a while back someones gun got blown up by this stuff and was wondering what caliber it was and why it blew up? I wanted to get some green tip penetrators but if there is a chance of my gun getting blown up I will pass. Does anyone else make some green tip ammo for penetrating steel or armor?
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 10:39:22 PM EDT
[#1]
i think the S&B SS109 is on par with any SS109 available. its as hot or hotter than lake city and IMI and its VERY accurate out of my colt 6601. as far as i know all the ka-boom stories are about their 55gr bi-metal jacketed rounds. the SS109 is good stuff. try it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 10:50:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats what I love about this board I ask a question come back 5 minutes later and its answered by someone with experience, Thanks I will give it a shot, do you think it can penetrate a steel flywheel from a car?
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 10:59:07 PM EDT
[#3]
How thick is the flywheel?  Almost any small caliber high velocity round will pierce metal, but a fly wheel is pretty hefty!  I'm betting a 22-250 couldn't do that job!  

As far as the ammo goes, I didn't find it particularly accurate, although it was pretty hot.  More likely to penetrate the fly wheel with this stuff, than the others.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 4:55:13 AM EDT
[#4]
The fly wheels that ive saw on cars are relitivly thin 1/8" maybe. Why would anyone want to shoot a fly wheel? If its on a car your gonna hit alot more before you get to the flywheel. Almost any rifle certrige will penetrate an engine block maybe not the heads but anything below that is history. As for the S&B ammo ive used it in 9mm,.45acp and .223 without a hiccup.
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 5:18:57 AM EDT
[#5]
All the S&B I have used in any caliber has been good. I can tell you some horror stories about doing your own penetration tests on auto parts. Don't do it. It only takes a bad angle to ruin your or somebody elses day. A deformed bullet on a deflection creates a nasty wound. When I got my friend back to the house out of my field, I asked why he had done this experiment. It was the 5 th round that got him.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 7:16:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I stay away from the stuff.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=72155
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#7]
does anyone else make green tips?
Link Posted: 4/20/2002 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Olympic also makes it, I think I got mine from Sportsman's Guide.

Dirfire is right about shooting auto parts up close. A freind and I were shooting up an 70's Pontiac the thicker parts with AK ammo. I managed to take shrapnel in the arm from 50 feet away, just a flesh wound, but made me put my shooting glasses back on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top