Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2002 1:36:29 PM EDT
I have the possiblility of purchasing a .308 Remington 700 PSS. Its entirely black, has a heavy bull barrel, barely used. Comes with a short bipod, and mounted Springfield Armory scope. The scope is a 14x Generation 3 government model with illuminated green reticle (retail of scope is about $800+). He is asking $1200. Is this a good price?
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 11:48:46 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a price that probably favors the seller a bit, IMO.

Are you going to use this rifle for benchrest shooting? It'll be good for very little else.

My .o2
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 11:58:33 PM EDT
[#2]
How many shots has he fired?  Most of these guns are used for extreme accuracy and competitors end up replacing barrels after 3-5000 shots.  What are you using it for?

I do not compete - I have been reading up on these in hopes of competing so someone correct me if I am wrong...
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 12:08:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How many shots has he fired?  Most of these guns are used for extreme accuracy and competitors end up replacing barrels after 3-5000 shots.  What are you using it for?

I do not compete - I have been reading up on these in hopes of competing so someone correct me if I am wrong...

That is correct and BobCole is correct about the power of the scope.

The reason you usually find 3-9x scopes on hunting rifles is so that you can make out which part of the animal you are aiming at.

In other words, at a high magnification all you will see is a big patch of fur instead of a silhouette.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 3:45:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Thanks for the replies.

The scope is adjustable from 4x to 14x. As for the gun, I think it is a bit over priced, but I don't know much about them.

I think I am going to pass on this offer...

Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:42:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Just so you know, you can get that scope for between $600 and $650 brand new.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:49:17 AM EDT
[#6]
At $1000, it wouldn't be a basement bargain, but it would be a price I could live with, ONLY IF I loved the scope.  If you're not happy with the scope, then definately pass since you are paying for it.  

Personally, I think the rifle is underscoped.  A solid 6.5-20 is in order for a rifle of its capability!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top