Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2002 10:31:14 AM EDT
My wife went and put a Remington 700 Sendero in 300 Win Mag on layaway for my Christmas present.  I know its a while away but I'm stoked.  Now my 700VS will have someone to hang out with :).  Time to start searching for optics!
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Just like this one

rem700 Sendero in 300WinMag.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 2:29:22 PM EDT
[#2]
What is a 300 like to shoot?

I have a .308 and 7MM and have shot a .50.

Is the kick more substantial than a 7MM?
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What is a 300 like to shoot?

I have a .308 and 7MM and have shot a .50.

Is the kick more substantial than a 7MM?

Here are the details.
The Sendero in 300Winmag is rather easy shooting (easier than some 308's) BUT there is a reason.

The weight of the rifle and scope.
It requires more energy to move it than say a Remington ADL.

Here is a brief story. A friend of mine bought an ADL synthetic stock in 7mm. He thought it and his BSA scope were the $hit, so to speak. It was much lighter than my Sendero.

I knew I had the better package for target shooting (which is why I bought it), his was better suited to hunting due to weight but his scope was not (8-40x magnification).

His rifle would beat him to death. he could only shoot it for a little while AND his scope became unusable by 11:00am.

Moral(s) of the story:
1) Buy a lighter rifle for hunting but expect to feel the recoil more. Buy a heavier rifle for target shooting.

2) Don't go cheap on the optics.

My Sendero (pictured above) has a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20x50mm LRT 3/4mil. Dot scope w/30mm tube.

I paid almost $700 for it at the time. I can shoot the rifle ALL day without being beat up and without having problems with the optics due to temperature changes.

IMHO the two rules above are the golden rules.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm fixin to buy my first Remington 700. On account of low cost and color (ALL my firearms must be black), I'm looking at the ADL synthetic.

I'm still deciding between .308 and 300 WinMag.

If I go for the 300 WinMag, is there a good (cheap) way to add weight to the rifle so it doesn't kick my ass so much? Or just put a pillow between shoulder and gun?
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 11:45:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Sendero Luminoso.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 11:49:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm fixin to buy my first Remington 700. On account of low cost and color (ALL my firearms must be black), I'm looking at the ADL synthetic.

I'm still deciding between .308 and 300 WinMag.

If I go for the 300 WinMag, is there a good (cheap) way to add weight to the rifle so it doesn't kick my ass so much? Or just put a pillow between shoulder and gun?

I like my guns in black, too.  Most of 'em are.
That ADL in .308 is a good cure for cost effective ".308 Fever".
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My wife went and put a Remington 700 Sendero in 300 Win Mag on layaway for my Christmas present.  I know its a while away but I'm stoked.  Now my 700VS will have someone to hang out with :).  Time to start searching for optics!

Pray for an early Christmas.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 6:13:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Its a combination of joy and torture.  Now trying to come up with the money for another Badger Ordnance base and set of rings.  Then the scope always runs more than the rifle.  I might have to take out a small loan :)  At least I have time to save up my penny's.  DOH! I almost forgot about getting the trigger job.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 6:24:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone tried both 7mm. and 300 WinMag? How do they compare?

On the one hand, I want one of these magnum calibers, because the cartridges are enormous and I like the idea of a rifle that might seriously injur me.

On the other hand, people have told me that .308 is the ultimate in accuracy.

Any opinions (I know I need every caliber, but I'm going to start with just 1)?
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 12:04:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Has anyone tried both 7mm. and 300 WinMag? How do they compare?

On the one hand, I want one of these magnum calibers, because the cartridges are enormous and I like the idea of a rifle that might seriously injur me.

On the other hand, people have told me that .308 is the ultimate in accuracy.

Any opinions (I know I need every caliber, but I'm going to start with just 1)?

If you plan to shoot long range go for the 300. Actually, it is more accurate than the 308 due to its relatively flat trajectory and higher velocity.

I bought mine because I wanted to get started in long range shooting (1000yards and beyond). It is a great and lower cost way to get started. Almost as good as a custom rifle and accurate!!

Regarding the comparison between the 7mm and 300.
I don't know how they compare in the same rifle (Sendero vs Sendero) but I do know how the ADL felt and it was a bit harder.

Now when it comes to comparing the cartridges I believe the 300 has more punch but as I said previously, it was just a shove (not a "kick") in the Sendero. Remember to I do have a rather large scope which adds some weight.

BTW the 300 can have a flatter trajectory than the 7mm. I shoot Sierra 175gr HPBT Match (moly coated) bullets exclusively and they are better than anything in the 7mm I can find.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#13]
BTW here is some thing that I was playing around with.

Rem 700 Forum

You can't login. Nothing works yet I still have to finish the coding for the web pages.

Its something I started but haven't finished.

Good idea???? Its kinda crude still maybe i'll resume working on it. If I finish it I may give out the code to others interested in starting another gun board, like an M14/M1A board, etc...

Maybe even have a page of links to get to the various gun boards.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#14]
yeah it's a good idea. It works well for AR15, why not other guns too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 3:17:51 PM EDT
[#15]
buy 700remmy.com or remington700.com
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#16]
... or buy lotsaGuns.com and set up subdirectories for each kinda gun.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Just bought my Rem 700. I'm too poor to get anything better than the basic ADL. I was going to get the Win-300, but was having trouble dialing the phone due to .357-related finger injuries, so decided I should get the rifle in .308.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Congrats!
The 300 mag is a great ctg. I've been loading and shooting it for 25 yrs. ;)

Link Posted: 4/19/2002 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#19]
How is the recoil compared to a 7mm rem mag?  
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey Mrhemi, what kind of goups do you get with that 300?  There is a used one sitting at the local gunshop calling my name, but I want a tack driver if I am going to buy a ridle I do not "need"  hehehehe....there is that word again.

You folks have any idea what a good price is on a used 700 Sendero 300 mag?

Also, what the heck is the difference in the "Police" model and the Sendero?

Thanks to all.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Recoil = 10ga  00 buckshot in a sawed off double barrel s/s weatherby.. People who shoot my AR are like "it doesnt kick at all" *hands them my weatherby* BOOM!  OW SHIT!
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Hey Mrhemi, what kind of goups do you get with that 300?  There is a used one sitting at the local gunshop calling my name, but I want a tack driver if I am going to buy a ridle I do not "need"  hehehehe....there is that word again.

You folks have any idea what a good price is on a used 700 Sendero 300 mag?

Also, what the heck is the difference in the "Police" model and the Sendero?

Thanks to all.

I've gotten some excellent groups from the 300.

I have a target that I shot a 3/4" group (5 shots) at 200 yards.
It happened that the day I was shooting a guy next to me had setup a serier of wind flags. When the flags dropped (no wind) I would fire.

I was impressed with the target when I retrieved it as it looked like a larger group when looking through the scope.

I was using a cheap Midway plastic rifle rest, some bags and my own loads.

I have NO regrets about buying this rifle and may buy another similar rifle in the future, maybe in 300wsm. Although, the 300wm seems hard to beat!
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Another question for Misterhemi.

I bought the rifle I was drooling over -- so here we go.

I noticed that your scope is as far back as it can go.  Is that far enough to have proper eye relief so when you mount the rifle you are in the correct position, or do you have to creap up the stock after you mount?

I have a Ruger #1 that requires me to creap way up the stock to get a good view through the scope after I mount the rifle -- very irritating.

Thanks for all your comments.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Another question for Misterhemi.

I bought the rifle I was drooling over -- so here we go.

I noticed that your scope is as far back as it can go.  Is that far enough to have proper eye relief so when you mount the rifle you are in the correct position, or do you have to creap up the stock after you mount?

I have a Ruger #1 that requires me to creap way up the stock to get a good view through the scope after I mount the rifle -- very irritating.

Thanks for all your comments.

The eye relief is just about right, I lean into it just a little.

At first I was worried that it was back so far that it would hit me but that hasn't happened.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top