Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2002 10:08:22 PM EDT
I think I am fixing to buy a tricked out Auto Ordinance .45! To many features to name....Any opinions or stories (good or bad)! Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#1]
HOLY HACKJOB BATMAN! Be careful with the Auto Ord 1911's. If its a recent production there is more than likely a reason for all the add ons. Put atleast 50rnds thrue it before you fork over any cash. Best bet save up and get a Kimber if you want to enter the 1911 scene. Too many people out there buy cheap 1911's and are forever turned off by them. BE WARNED.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#2]
They're better than they used to be & still better than Llama or John Daly 45s. But they're not worth the $$$$ IMO.

Why buy a tricked out 1911 when you can buy a standard model & then get what you want instead of paying for stuff you don't want nor need?

Buy a used Springfield or Colt or Norinco & get a better gun.  My .o2
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#3]
You might try the handguns forum.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 10:23:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Rumor has it the Kahr recently acquired Auto Ordinance and Quality has improved significantly.

handguns.ar15.com
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#5]
DAMN....This would have been my first .45! I never expected such responses...but I am very glad I asked. Are there any specific dangers?
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 10:35:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I know that KAHR and Auto Ord have merged as I was standing across from their booth at the Shot Show for 3 days. Still save your money and get a Kimber or a Springfield.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 10:40:49 PM EDT
[#7]
if a tricked out .45 is what you're lookin for, mine is a para-ordnance p-13 limited.  SWEEET!
especially the huge sights. (bo-mar i think)
i am also looking at a kimber pro-carry (pricey though, but worth it)
the springfield loaded model is a good buy, and far better quality than that auto ordnance, i would also suspect that all the bells and whistles that you speak of are aftermarket, i don't know much about auto-ord, but i think they were all pretty stock, could be wrong though. iwould look into any aftermarket add ons carefully to make sure they are not a hack backyard gunsmith job.
just my.00000000000000000000002
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#8]
The gun belongs to a friend of mine....he has been very trustworthy in every gun deal we have made. He told me that he had it smith'd to shoot competitions...trigger job...competition sights etc.... I will get the details tomorrow and post them for fun. Sounds like I better bark up another tree! Thanks for all the great advice.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 4:28:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Had one about 12 years ago, that would outshoot my Gold Cup Elite,,,not my 70 series gold cup though...But at that time they were cast, which can be ok,, but after a lot of firing they tend to peen and get looser,,For the Money a Norinco is great, and makes a great foundation for customizing, but as someone said buy an out of the box semi-custromized from springfield or Kimber for a little more..If your going to leave it stock though.....
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Had one of the earlier mil-spec 1911 from AO.  Not a bad gun.  Basically a hard ball only shooter.  Was hit and miss on the semiwadcutters.  Was finicky about magazines.  Liked plain old GI mags.  Did not like any of the better aftermarket mags except Colt factory. I didn't put a lot of effort into the gun.  Got rid of it fairly quickly, mostly because the original GI sights were too small for my eyesight.  Given time, effort, and money I probably could have turned into something pretty decent, but I'm just not that much of a 1911 fan.  Ended up getting a Ruger P90 and have been happier with it.

Yes, Kahr now owns AO and supposedly has improved quality.  Have no personal experience with their recent production.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top