Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2002 7:11:54 PM EDT
Went to the range with a buddy that has a CMP Garand. Nice weapon, shoots well, but WAY too heavy to lug around all day.

Another guy had an HK91. I always thought these were really cool rifles, and we swapped rifles for awhile.(I had a Bushy 20"). Well, I no longer have the HK91 on my wish list.

Function was fine, but the mag release is too far forward, the safety is unreachable without readjusting, and the stock seems too short (kind of like a tactical entry on an AR). Trigger pull was the longest and heaviest of any rifle I have shot in years. Kicked like a  mule too.

The only thing I really liked was the tactical style sling that allows cross chest carry, and when you pull down to the hip, a spring retention clip lets go and the rifle comes to ready. Nice design. Overall disapointment though.

I will be sticking with my AR's
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#2]
WHAA?!?!? Turn in your Assault Weapon card immediately ! You must love ALL EBR (Evil Black Rifles) equally ! You must not turn your back on any , remember they all deserve love .
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Function was fine, but the mag release is too far forward, the safety is unreachable without readjusting, and the stock seems too short (kind of like a tactical entry on an AR). Trigger pull was the longest and heaviest of any rifle I have shot in years. Kicked like a  mule too.

Mag release too far up?  It's on the mag well, like 99% of the firearms available.  I never had a problem with the safety (using the thumb like you're supposed to), but they do make extended selectors if you like.

As far as the stock being too short, I've never heard that.  You must be a long guy!  But they also have adj. stocks (expensive) or butt pads that cost about $10-20 bucks.

Trigger pull is a bit ugly, and the improvements (PSG1 or Williams) are costly.

Love the web sling, I used them on all my longguns including my M4.

Not a flame, I'm just disappointed that you didn't enjoy the 91 as much as I do.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 7:49:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 7:59:29 PM EDT
[#5]
JH225 am I guessing right that the AR15 is the rifle you started with?  Probably to you that is the proper weight of a rifle, but in reality most are about the same weight of a Garand or an M14.  

I see it exactly the opposite.  The other rifles are normal and the AR is exceptionally light.  I will agree that it's ergonmics are almost perfect.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 2:09:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Trigger pull is a bit ugly, and the improvements (PSG1 or Williams) are costly.

IMO an absolute necessity however. I upgraded my rifles shortly after I bought them. Worst trigger of thirty ARs.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 5:23:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Aimless,

That was some funny shithinking
Trigger pull obviously needs work and like others said it is costly. Even the sloppy factory single stage Bushy trigger is 10X better.

The Garand is a beautiful design in its own right and I do love that "sproing", but swinging a 12lb. bat in combat would get tiresome, no?

Rem. 700.....Excellent weaponActually I started with 10/22's and Mausers. I feel that the AR is a pretty close to perfect design, albiet a puny caliber. I love all of my AR's and I think the design will go down in history as one of the most ergonomically correct weapons ever made. Oh, and BTW, the weight is nowhere near what a Garand or M14 is, even in Hbar configuration. 2lb's is a lot of difference in a rifle.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top