Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2002 12:09:37 PM EDT
Just got in from the Machine Gun Shoot, arrived late Friday evening and camped over the weekend. As far as the camping goes, all was quiet in contrast to my last visit in the spring of `99.... at least no port-a-potties were blown up ! Camping fees seemed pretty stiff to me though, 30 bucks a head for two night stay. Must have been to recover costs for beefed up security.  In spite of enduring three days of scattered rain it was a pleasant stay, I always make new friends when camping there and it gave me a chance to field test some new camping gear.
The shoot had a fair number of participants, but I`ve seen better night shoots, threatening rain may have had something to do with it.
At the show, Dennis Todd had a nice selection of factory assembled Colt M4`s and I picked up a 14.5" Flattop. These must have been Demo`s or something, near new condition but obviously fired. DSA had some STG Carbines that caught my eye, added one of those to my wish list... maybe at the fall shoot in Oct.....
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I was going to go but talked myself out of it with the thunderstorm this morning. I was somewhat interested in an el cheapo 16 light weight post ban barrel and some green followers. Maybe in the fall.

Link Posted: 4/14/2002 5:04:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I went saturday morning.  I got there at about 10am.  It had stopped raining when i got there.  The mud didnt bother me.  The noise didnt bother me.  The CROWD bothered me.  There were so many people there that i didnt even look at all the vender stuff.  There were TONS of that South African ammo there though.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#3]
What was the South African going for?

Link Posted: 4/14/2002 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What was the South African going for?

I picked up a SA 300 rd. battle pack for $40/no tax.

As far as the shoot goes, I think the Range didn't make it entertaining enough on Friday.  They didn't rotate the targets on the main range like they have in the past.  How many times can you shoot the same water heater before it gets old?
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 5:59:46 PM EDT
[#5]

I just bought stuff Friday and Saturday then watched all the fools in the parking lot mud ;)

Link Posted: 4/14/2002 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey ar154fun I pikced up one of those el cheapo light weight ar uppers, will let you know how it works out, The ammo wasnt cheap enough for me to buy but I enjoyed it all in all for my first time
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm sure it will do you fine. I'm a chrome lined kinda guy but I am tired of waiting for my Bushy barrel. Thought I might buy a non-chrome lined one to hold me over and let me complete my FAR-15 project.

Best of luck! Glad you liked the show!
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 6:00:47 AM EDT
[#8]
3rd show in a row for me, and this one was the worst (shooting wise).  The main range seemed to be lacking targets, the night shoot can't even compare to last fall.  There were some good deals at the show.  Security seemed the same as always.

Saturday the lower parking lot was terrible.  We parked there Friday with no problems, but Saturday afternoon we ended up along the road.  The number of people there was what I expected.  If you want to go to the show, Friday is the day to go.  All the deals are gone by Saturday.  All in all is was worth the 5 hr trip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top