Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2002 7:36:14 AM EDT
do chrome parts for AR-15's make the gun work any better or does it just make your gun look cool
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#1]
You want a chrome lined barrel and a chrome lined Bolt Carrier.  These are for easier maintenance and longevity.  Anything else is extraneous and in the end will cause unwanted wear, detrimental to the life of your AR.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:58:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 11:30:47 AM EDT
[#3]
me or him?
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#4]
him, Vinnie.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Hey markm the man just asked a question. How about you shut the hell up. If your not smart enough to answer a question then you shouldn't post anything.

Unless you were born and bred with all the knowledge of AR15's you had to start somewhere too. The only way to find anything out is to ask more experienced people.

So why not do everyone a favor and keep your mouth shut.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#6]

that's what i would expect to hear from a TROLL!
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#7]
i'm just teasing, frawley.

it's not aimed at you. (no pun intended)

it's just a goof on the guys on this site who think everyone it a federal agent trying to catch illegal activity.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#8]
markm seems to be the self appointed Troll Patrol!
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Well its good to know your just joking around. There are alot of people out there that give new members a hard time just because they have a low post count.

I've been around here for awhile, I still have a low post count cause I only ask questions when I need to know something but I enjoy reading all the posts and alot of my questions get answered from just browsing the sight.

Well no hard feelings since you were just joking around. I just hate to see new people get picked on since we're all here to share the same interest. Lord knows we need more and more gun inthusiests in the US.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yes, and you are the self appointed Rectal Crusader!
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, and you are the self appointed Rectal Crusader!

That's just what a Troll would say!
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:43:30 PM EDT
[#12]
This is not your personal playground!
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

let he is without sin, cast the first fucking stone..... that's from the bible.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:48:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Ok, DonR Junior.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
do chrome parts for AR-15's make the gun work any better or does it just make your gun look cool

chrome or titanium parts look cool, but will cause unneccessary wear as the parts that they will be in contact with are not as hard as they are, so it's a good idea to stay away from chrome bolts and titanium firing pins.
just my .02
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#16]
That's it. I'm Locking this Thread!
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#17]
yeah, i noticed that about the troll thing.  hell, he did it to me on my first 100 posts or so, it almost discouraged me from being here, as i took it to be a general consensus.
markm, did you live near a bridge that you had to cross as achild? that would explain the troll paranoia.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#18]
welcome aboard frawley, your question is one more people should be asking, because i have seen countless quality ar's damaged by titanium/chrome parts that didn't need to be.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 2:03:35 PM EDT
[#19]
No, i'm really not paranoid.

i just like to poke fun at the paraniod folks on the site.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 2:05:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's a question whose answer I *should* know: Does the average AR, lets say BM or DPMS, have a chrome lined bolt carrier? I do know all about barrels and chambers btw
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
No, i'm really not paranoid.

i just like to poke fun at the paraniod folks on the site.

o.k., no flame intended, but sometimes people take you seriously.  i did when i was just a wee poster and it pissed me off that i kept getting trolled all the time.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#22]
i have never seen one without.

you'd probably find some at OLYmpic Arms.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
i have never seen one without.

you'd probably find some at OLYmpic Arms.

aahhh, you forget the fine craftsmen at hesse arms.  i'd be surprised if they know what chrome is.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#24]
ok well thanks to all the people who actually answerd me
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#25]
LOL!!!!
anytime, dude.
you'll find that sometimes, o.k., most of the time we get sidetracked, but you'll never see a more comprehensive knowledge base, it's just sometimes hidden amongst the bullshit.
once again, welcome aboard.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#26]
you're welcome.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 2:30:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Here's a question whose answer I *should* know: Does the average AR, lets say BM or DPMS, have a chrome lined bolt carrier? I do know all about barrels and chambers btw

I know Bushy's have chromelined carriers.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I have been thinking of putting a titanium firing pin in my Bushmaster but you guys have made me rethink it....thanks for the info......
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I have been thinking of putting a titanium firing pin in my Bushmaster but you guys have made me rethink it....thanks for the info......

yeah, they'll say something about "faster lockup time"  BULLSHIT
what you WILL get is a worn firing pin aperture and greater potential for a pierced primer.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok, now you've got me,  

Is it the AR-15 brain trust's collective wisdom that one should stay away from chrome moving parts period, or is it prevailng opinion that a chrome bolt carrier is ok. If we like chrome for the bolt carier, what about a bxxxxxxxr (er DPMS) titanium bolt carrier instead of chrome.

Thanks!

BTT
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#31]
BTT
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Chrome LINED carriers, not the hold carrier chromed.  If you have a moving part that is made up of a metal that is harder than the upper, then you will get unnecessary wear.  Besides the costs of a titanium carrier must be ridiculous
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 9:52:33 PM EDT
[#33]

After all these idiotic, non-responsive troll posts, let me reply to your question.

While a majority of members may be against use of chrome parts in your AR, I disagree.  Most of the people who dislike Chrome Carriers and bolts have never owned or used one.  

Chrome is harder than the aluminum in your upper, but it is also slicker (higher lubricity is the actual term) and produces LESS friction.  As a result, this will tend to reduce wear as the carrier slides back and forth along the upper's inner surface.  Chrome will also last longer and it is better at rust prevention.

I have not seen any evidence that chrome parts have resulted in greater wear.  The only reason you shouldn't buy one is because of the extra cost.  Let's face it, you are gonna wear out three barrels (or more) before you wear out an upper by using a chrome carrier.

I would like to see some actual tests, or evidence to support the opinion that chrome substantially accelerates upper receiver wear.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Ok, ok I finally used the search function.  After reading some 20 odd threads, I have not found a single good reason to get chrome the only plusse claimed are "cleaning ease or looks."  Neither seem to warrant the purchase and most posters with greater knowlege than I appear to suggest problems might occur, ie wear/function.

Got to love the search function, but it sure cuts down on posts!

Edited b/c I always find errors when I re-read my posts
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Exactly ThunderStick.  I hate all these bullshit replies to legit questions.  I thought there was going to be a lot of discussion on the posted subject, instead there was a lot of bullshit troll post.  This is the reason I was happy when they separated the "General Discussion" forum into "General" and "Firearm Related".  Most of the idiots stay on the "General Discussion Forum".  Hey markm, this is the second thread that I've seen pull this troll crapp.  Why don't you take your ass someplace where folks want to hear your ribbing or sarcasm.  If your really bored then you could go suck start one of your firearms that I presume you own!
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Hey, uncle sam. you and thunderdick should get a room!

Link Posted: 4/16/2002 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#37]
yeah, lighten up, homos.

it's just a little humor.  we're not splitting atoms here.

DANG!
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#40]
So what about Robar's  NP3 ??

www.robarguns.com/np3.asp
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/16/2002 8:11:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Mark, are you joking and just misunderstood or an asshole who thinks he should contribute nothing to a legitimate question, other than pissing just about everyone off?  You seem to be feeding off of people's comments like a 13 year old.  Go play on IGN.com little boy and let the men talk about guns we own, rather than play with when daddy lets us.  

Antagonizing people for no reason and for no good discussion will get your account blocked one day.  Noone likes an asshole child either.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Well said Minman72.  I don't see the humor in posting a troll after someone asked a question.  Anyone who does is VERY juvenile.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
...  Besides the costs of a titanium carrier must be ridiculous

FYI.

It is a titanium coating, not 100% Ti.  Much like a chromed carrier.  Cost was not that much more from what I remember.  Maybe $30 or $40...

mark
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 2:54:24 PM EDT
[#45]
BTT
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Looks like someone needs to explain the difference between chrome _lined_ carriers and hard chromed carriers.

A chrome lined carrier refers to the inside of the cylinder (where the gas rings are, the surface to which they seal) being chromed. This hardens this surface to decrease the amount of wear imparted by the rings. If you had to choose between replacing rings or the carrier, I would hope you'd choose rings since carriers are expensive and rings aren't.  

A hard chromed carrier is chrome plated completely, internally and externally. It does ease cleaning, and unless the gun is run dry I can't see where it would increase wear. By the same token, unless the gun is being run dry, I can see no advantage to it either, and who would run their AR completely dry? The carrier should be riding on a minute film of lubricant, negating any wear. However, if wear WAS occuring (from dimensionally incorrect parts, for example) I would prefer to have the carrier wear vs the upper receiver. Milspec M16 carriers are already harder than the receiver since the carrier is steel and the receiver is aluminum. Thus the whole point of wear is moot.

It all comes down to being pretty and easy to clean. I might use one in a "space gun" where there is no port cover and pretty is a consideration.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top