Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2002 10:00:36 PM EDT
Finally got down to seriously trying to sight in my DSA carbine (SA58).  Shoots a couple inches to the left with rear sight centered...no problem, have to keep it drifted to the right.

But oh, that crappy front site.  With it cranked all the way DOWN (post at lowest vertical setting), it shoots at least a couple inches LOW at 50 yards and pretty close to dead-on at 25 yards.  Seems to me wth the front sight post all the way down it should be shooting high.

What should I be doing differently?  I guess I can possibly file down the front site (which I'm reluctant to do) or get a new front sight assembly (which would be already part of a regular-length barrel, which I want anyway).  Dead last on my list would be to sell the gun and get something else, but it's a little hard to let go of what otherwise is a fantastic rifle (plus the cost of duplicating my 30 FAL  mags in the form of, say M1A mags, is prohibitive).
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Cranking the front sight down should place your groups higher - hmmmm. What about the rear ramp? The rear should allow adjustment for elevation, too, so work with it. If still no luck, then give DSA a call. They have really good customer service & will work with you to make it right.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 4:49:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I have 2 rifles make by DSA (a STG58 and a SA58) both are great rifles and DSA has great customer service.

I have heard of others that have had a simular problem with the SA58 carbine.  Call DSA and tell them what the problem that you are having with your sights and they can help you out.  I know a couple guys that were having the same problem and DSA sent them a different rear sight (if I remember correctly it was a shorter rear sight to fix the front sight problem).

By the way, don't sell your SA58, you'll never find a better FAL.  DSA customer service is top notch, you may want to ask for Jeff, he'll get things taken care of for you.  DSA may even send out a call tag and have you ship the rifle back to them, any way you cut it DSA will take care of you. Good Luck.

Semper Fi
Jeff
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys...really appreciate it.  I can't believe I didn't consider calling DSA--will give them a shot.  Good to her others had the same problem (and got it rectified).
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:05:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The problem with the FAL is that the MINIMUM elevation setting on the rear sight is 200m.  Perhaps someone can figure out where the bullet should strike at 50 & 100 yards when the sights are properly adjusted for 200m.  Assume M80 ball.

-Troy

Good point - I'd be interested in knowing this too if one of the ballistics wizards can run the numbers.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:55:35 PM EDT
[#6]
PACorps:

This is a common problem with DSA's.  The solution  is to file the front sight post down, being careful too keep the top square. Then remove the post and paint it black.  For some reason their rifles mate a low Belgian style rear sight with an earlier style high front sight.  Oh, and if you decide to call customer service to ask them to honor their warranty, be prepared to be hosed.  I was.  I should have sued the b*stards.

Rob
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 6:49:13 AM EDT
[#8]
If your front sight is too tall for a short range zero (and you don't want to file on it), you may be able to find a shorter post.  They come in three sizes.  Check your current post and see if it has a dot or dots stamped on it.  The most common height has two dots.  A post with a single dot might be just what you need.  You can also get a taller Israeli style rear sight blade.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top