Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2002 8:27:22 PM EDT
I got my first AR (Bushmaster Shorty Carbine) last weekend. Going to shoot it tomorrow for the first time. I've scene the posts on cleaning it, but what about in between trips to the range? For me that could be a couple of weeks to 4-5 months! Do I keep a thin film of CLP in the barrel or keep it dry? What about the bolt carrier group & lower receiver areas?

Thanks,
Now to get some more mags & ammo!

Link Posted: 4/13/2002 8:34:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I would be sure to clean it throughly before you shoot it for the first time.

Like most (I think) I was pretty anal about cleaning mine when I fist got it. I used to think that it might be less than reliable if I didn't. Now? hmm - I finally cleaned it last week after several months and about 700 rounds. Never slowed down or burped in anyway. Occassionally I squit a lil CLP on the bolt (but doubt I needed to).

Bottom line - it is not as fragile as many make it out to be.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 4:59:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for your help!

John D.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 5:15:16 AM EDT
[#4]
plug the barrel with sweets.

and as far as SIX goes, i think his cleaning policy is the exception on this site.
for example, you can run your car for 20,000 miles between oil changes, but would you?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top