Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2002 5:11:28 PM EDT
Since it seems to be next to impossible to run a cleaning rod from the chamber on the M-14/M1A, you've got to do it from the muzzle end, right?

So, it would seem that some sort of rod guide might be called for in order to prevent touching the crown and degrading accuracy.

However, is a guide really necessary if the gun has its flash suppressor? How about if it has a muzzle brake? TIA
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 5:22:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Since it seems to be next to impossible to run a cleaning rod from the chamber on the M-14/M1A, you've got to do it from the muzzle end, right?

So, it would seem that some sort of rod guide might be called for in order to prevent touching the crown and degrading accuracy.

However, is a guide really necessary if the gun has its flash suppressor? How about if it has a muzzle brake? TIA

yes,
yes,
yes,

they sell them and they work. (protect your muzzle that is).

or you can make your own.
or look into a "bore snake"

Link Posted: 4/14/2002 7:38:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a bore snake and never mess with patches again. It works. Really well.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 8:32:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Dewey makes muzzle guides that fit nicely over the flassh suppressor.

The Otis cleaning kits are also exceptional, allowing you to clean from the breech.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 5:54:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out the Otis Kits. They allow breech to muzzle cleaning. The Bore Snake works great. I would highly recomend using the bore snake.

http://www.otisgun.com/cgi-bin/storenew.pl?page=/index.html&setup=1&cart_id=3999113.2636
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#5]
A lot of what you've heard is called how to sell extra accessories.

Many cleaning rods are aluminum which is softer than steel, and even the steel rods are softer than the hardened steel that you're barrel is made of.  unless you spend all month trying to whack the hell out of it, of try to get the cleaning rod to do a 180 coming out of the barrel you're not going to damage the crown.  Just go easy, keep it as straight as possible and quit worrying, you ain't gonna hurt it.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 5:34:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
A lot of what you've heard is called how to sell extra accessories.

Many cleaning rods are aluminum which is softer than steel, and even the steel rods are softer than the hardened steel that you're barrel is made of.  

And when those aluminum rods hit that harder steel they leave little bits of abrasive aluminum that turn the patch into sand paper.

I would never use an aluminum cleaning rod on my M1A.  I do use a steel Dewy rod when I have to but only with a guide and I'm very careful about it.  I use the Otis muzzle to bore system for cleaning in between detailed cleanings.

unless you spend all month trying to whack the hell out of it, of try to get the cleaning rod to do a 180 coming out of the barrel you're not going to damage the crown.  Just go easy, keep it as straight as possible and quit worrying, you ain't gonna hurt it.

Mike

Get M/SGT James R. Owen's book on maintaining match rifles and see what he has to say about allowing a rod to contact the bore, especially at the muzzle.

I can't think of of one source that says it is preferable to clean from muzzle to chamber.  It is done on some firearms because that was the only practical way to do it.  Boresnakes/Otis cleaning kits allow you to apply commonly accepted "best practices" to firearms where it would not be practical otherwise.

I have no problem spending 15 bucks for a cleaning kit to save wear and tear on a $1500+ match rifle and it makes sense for the ol' beater M1 shooter as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top