Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2002 6:47:58 AM EDT
With the selector lever on "Auto", is it possible for a skilled user to fire a one round burst?  As far as I know, this isn't possible, but I want to be sure before I bitch someone out on the subject.

Also, if anyone knows, what is the smallest burst that a skilled user of the M4 can be expected to fire on auto?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:42:43 AM EDT
[#1]
On AUTO, you can get a 1rd burst, but you have to have a quick trigger finger.   After the first round is fired, you need to get off the trigger before the bolt goes back into battery with a fresh round.  Its not impossible, just difficult.  Of course, depending upon the buffer you have in the gun, you can make it easier.  A heavy or hydro buffer will slow the cyclic rate and give you a bit more time (still just a fraction of a second though).  A 2rd or 3rd burst is much more common.  With practice, you can put 2rd bursts out all day long.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:47:30 AM EDT
[#2]
What in the blue hell is a "one round burst?"

Oh, you mean "SEMI"...gotcha!
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#3]

hock.gif

A little clarificiation of my motive, perhaps.  I'm messing around with a beta of a video game in which the M4 is a weapon available to the player.  The weapon in the game can be fired in semi, burst, or auto.  

A lot of people don't like the burst setting in real life, as they have the discipline to govern their own bursts.  Therefore, in a game, where governing bursts is far easier than on a real weapon, one has little use for the burst setting.  On auto in the game, one can fire single rounds easily, rendering "semi" useless as well.    

I plan on suggesting to the developer that he make firing a single round only in "auto" impossible, and make the two round burst the smallest burst possible on that setting, to force the player to actually use the "semi" setting.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 8:02:01 AM EDT
[#4]
I knew a SAW gunner who could squeeze off single rounds from his weapon with regularity, but the SAW has a lower cyclic rate than the M4.

Probably a 2-round burst is the lowest practical number of rounds a person could predictably squeeze off from an M4A1....

Actually with an M4 (which has a three round burst limiter, you could predictably squeeze off a 1 round "burst", but only after you managed to squeeze off a two round burst.  THere is still a single round left on the burst limiter after a two round burst, so next time you pull the trigger, regardless of what you do, you'll get a single round fired, then the three round burst feature will reset.

Link Posted: 4/13/2002 8:17:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

A little clarificiation of my motive, perhaps.  I'm messing around with a beta of a video game in which the M4 is a weapon available to the player.  The weapon in the game can be fired in semi, burst, or auto.  

A lot of people don't like the burst setting in real life, as they have the discipline to govern their own bursts.  Therefore, in a game, where governing bursts is far easier than on a real weapon, one has little use for the burst setting.  On auto in the game, one can fire single rounds easily, rendering "semi" useless as well.    

I plan on suggesting to the developer that he make firing a single round only in "auto" impossible, and make the two round burst the smallest burst possible on that setting, to force the player to actually use the "semi" setting.

That's different.

The M4 carbine has three settings, safe, semi and burst modes.  That's it.

The M4A1 also has three settings, safe, semi and auto.  The M16 family of rifles does not contain a rifle with a four mode selector, for that you need to look to the HK series of weapons, they have such a selector and they have an option that allows you to choose either a 2, 3, or 4 round burst limiter when you purchase the weapon.

Graphically you can use the same "weapon", but allow the player to select between the M4 and the M4A1 at the beginning of the session.  In my opinion, the M4A1 is the weapon the experienced operator would choose sincce they get enough trigger time to learn to limit their own bursts. However, for the inexperienced gamer, the M4 may be the more ammunition conserving option.

The 3 round burst is a PITA when clearing rooms, since you want the ability to hose a room quickly without having to work a trigger to do it.

Link Posted: 4/13/2002 8:56:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The M4A1 also has three settings, safe, semi and auto.  The M16 family of rifles does not contain a rifle with a four mode selector, for that you need to look to the HK series of weapons, they have such a selector and they have an option that allows you to choose either a 2, 3, or 4 round burst limiter when you purchase the weapon.

That is not true there are 4 position selectors for m16; it’s just that nobody uses them.

10-X

Link Posted: 4/13/2002 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Dominus,

Understand what you're attempting...may I recommend the Steyr AUG "solution."

Pull trigger and let off for semi, and hold trigger down for burst or full.  It's been 15 years since I fired a real AUG, so I hope that I remembered correctly...

Anyway, my two cents.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not the guy developing the game;  I'm just testing it.  

The M4 fits into the game, and its a bit late now to change it totally.  It would only take a minor change in the code to fix this problem; to change the weapon completely would take a lot longer.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I have never done it on an M-4 because if I put it on auto, I do it to let it rip..., Having said that,  when I went through bradley gunnery,  I had to perserve rounds on my COAX.  the coax is a M240C that fires 7.62 nato.  I could squeeze and release the trigger fast enough to just let one round off.  the OC's thought I had had a malfunction, but I did it again for them to see it was under control.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top