Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/12/2002 8:11:51 AM EDT
Just got my first FAL to go with my Bushmaster. Its a DS Arms STG58a. Ready shoot it it as soon as I get a chance. Anybody else here have one?
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Actually, I'm an AR-15 owner who has a FAL!

The FAL is sweet but I'm still ironing out the bumps in my G1 kit.  All said and done I still prefer my M1A for .308
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Lemme put it this way -

The STG58a is A-W-E-S-O-M-E.

4" groups at 200 yards (off a bench) with milsurp ammo.

Low recoil, cheap mags, 308 power.

If they made a .223 at a reasonable price, I'd probably never buy another AR.

And all with that evil black furniture.

MMMmmmmm.......

Link Posted: 4/12/2002 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Same here, AR owner with most of a FAL. I just got a TAPCO G1 kit that I'll spend the summer fixn' up.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I have one. It is actually an L1A1 though. One of the Century rifles going for around $400.

I like it very much. It functions very well with three of the four magazines that I have. The fourth one is just worn out. It was probably the best $400 I have ever spent.

It is no where near as accurate as any of my AR15s, M1 Gararnd, or the M1A that I stupidly sold a few years ago to get that new Beretta shotgun I just had to have.

Gary
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 11:19:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Got a OlyArms T48-2000 FNFAL (No flames please) to go with my OlyArms HBAR .
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I know this is just mean...but here's my carbine with the recent 'limited production' OD furniture on it...oh yeah...here piggy piggy...

Now that's a good looking $400 rifle...and I built her myself.

What was the question again?  Oh yeah...love them FALs!!!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#7]
But then...I also love my two home-built ARs...Ren and Stimpy!

Shot a 442-6x (out of 500) with Ren the other day...I think he likes me!!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 12:04:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I too have one of each. I have biult several AR's in the past and sold them (like a fool). This January I built one to keep, and about a month ago I got a Century L1A1. It is a fine weapon..I have considered buying a parts kit and building an FAL. Although I am not as familiar with the FAL as I am the AR's. Anyone know if you get a kit, is all you need a reciever??? Or what other parts???
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 12:33:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I was an FAL owner who went out and got an AR-15.  Found out I played with the ARs far more than FAL so I got rid of it to get another gun.

FALs are great rifles, but I prefer my AR-15s!
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#10]
My three favorite rifles.  Bushmaster Dissipator, DS Arms SA58 and FMP SLG 95 (HK 91 licensed copy).  My DS Arms will shoot almost anything but the SLG 95 has a preference for Radway Green surplus 7.62 X 51.  The Bushmaster will shoot about anything equally.    

Zoom,follow DSA's instructions about adjusting the gas system and you'll have a blast.  

Good Shooting,
Marty
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 12:55:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a FAL DSA SA58, Olympic Arms OA 93 pistol, Olympic Arms 16" CAR and a Bushmaster flat top 24" bull barrel.

I know you people will stone me for saying this but the FAL is my favorite. They are all great weapons but I just love how the FAL handles.

In a combat situation I would take either the FAL or my trusty AK47 before I would take any AR15. Thats just my opinion so don't bash me too bad for that.

Don't get me wrong, I love AR15's and I would trust my life to one but I just feel more comfortable with an FAL or a good AK47. Its just personal preference.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a AR-15, and a FAL DSA refinished G1 parts kit with an unusable (read Williams Arms) receiver. I am going to wait until DSA has another group purchase over at the FALFiles to replace my 8 oz. aluminum mistake and finish my build.

Kyle
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Beercop,

In addition to the parts kit, you'll need an upper receiver and enough US parts to comply with 922r.  Basically you'll need to replace seven imported parts with US parts (including the flash suppressor).  Otherwise you'll have an imported "assault weapon."
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a FAL and an AR. I can still buy a FAL in CaliBan, but not an AR.

I like them both!
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a DSA STG58A and it's a bargain even at retail price. Shoots MOA off of the bipod with Radway Green or Portuguese NATO and a Tasco World Class 3-9X Mil-Dot scope. Love the scope to by the way.

I had a Century FrankenFal with Hesse receiver and it was great, but sold it for the DSA. The Hesse functioned and shot well but the fit and finish on the DSA has to be seen to be believed!
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Registered receiver SP1 and pre-ban Springfield (Imbel) SAR 48. Like 'em both.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 5:09:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Me too!  I have a custom SA-58 16" carbine, a Belgian para and a Belgian 50.00.  I love my ARs, but when you want serious power, you want a .308!
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Registered receiver SP1

What's that, selective fire conversion?  Cool!  Tell us about that.

I have owned ARs for over a couple decades.  Got a DSA FAL about 18 mos. ago, it is great.  Love 'em both.  I remember the original Belgian FAL was $1K back in the day and that horrified me, in a world of $400 ARs.  I spent over $1K to get the DSA.

Oh to have known then what I know now . . .
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#19]
You're gonna love that STG58A, DSA is a great choice in FALs.  I put the Belgian hooded rear sight on mine to get rid of glare and also for the slightly smaller aperture.  In a semi-auto MBR I'll take the FAL over an AR anyday.

If you're not stocked up on mags yet TAPCO has new in wrapper FN Belgian steel mags packed 10 to the original box for $100, or $80 in quantity.  Try them, you'll like them.

Link Posted: 4/12/2002 7:42:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Beercop,

In addition to the parts kit, you'll need an upper receiver and enough US parts to comply with 922r.  Basically you'll need to replace seven imported parts with US parts (including the flash suppressor).  Otherwise you'll have an imported "assault weapon."

Does Anyone actually consider this regulation to be legal? This is way more than infringement to my second amendment rights.
The fact that someone even brought it up seems to add to it's legitimacy.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#21]
The R1 was my service rifle, so I will always have a special place for the FAL. I shoot highpower with an AR-15, and am amazed how accurate my CLE upper will shoot at 600 yards, minute of spotter if I do my part and the wind does not blow too hard. So I am quite fond of AR-15's as well! I'll go with the FAL if I had to go into a bad situation, I know it will shoot through trees, houses and vehicles if the need ever arises.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 9:24:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a SA58 and I will get it remodeled as a 5.56 whenever AZEX or DSA comes out with the service. I just don't get into the recoil of that one, though a friends ARS build is the opposite - small recoil
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:33:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Beercop,

Does Anyone actually consider this regulation to be legal? This is way more than infringement to my second amendment rights.

Hey, that's the regs.  If you don't like it and don't want to abide by it, that's cool with me.  The man asked a question and I answered it.  None of us on the FAL Files likes it either and the whole issue of compliance, let alone legality and enforceability , has been heavily debated.  And the same goes for attaching pre-ban AR uppers to post-ban lowers.  I'm sure no one here likes it but I'd guess most people still comply.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 10:44:27 PM EDT
[#24]
My first black rifle was a pre-ban G1 (in semi).
Then expanding my .308 collection lead me to the AR-10.  I finally deviated from my one rifle caliber requirement when I reached having at least one of the major "Assault Weapons" in that caliber.  Now I have 5 AR-15's in various configs.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 11:59:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Lemme put it this way -

The STG58a is A-W-E-S-O-M-E.

What he said!

I now have two FAL variants.  
A DSA SA58 rifle & a DSA STG58 carbine & I love them both.  
I'm working on a third custom heavy barrel FAL.

It is my favorite .308 semi-auto rifle.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 12:00:32 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If you're not stocked up on mags yet TAPCO has new in wrapper FN Belgian steel mags packed 10 to the original box for $100, or $80 in quantity.  Try them, you'll like them.

Yes!  These are MINT!  
I got a pack last month & almost hated to open the package.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 2:54:32 AM EDT
[#27]
I just had my STG58 with Imbel receiver put together by Mark@ Arizona Response Systems.I love it!I also put the Izzy wood furniture on it.You can't beat the mag prices now.Get 'em while you can.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 5:56:06 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm a long time FAL fan but recently bitten by the AR bug, badly. Only wish I could afford more.  Belgian FN FAL 50.00 Type II and Preban Eagle Arms and Bushy upper M4gery.

Deuce01

http://photos.msn.com/imageserver/image.aspx?Image=*EtEZjHm6cqX74GM40zjg03OLQeCkB*KjCu0W2aa4vojsN37p*Y0cDxuYnJT4xBDOhvpzt*D7whV5lkcb8gfNFRqAzGRPPRvmfn2DVMTdhh2!tShtvwsnhk203T2QY0i

Link Posted: 4/13/2002 5:01:26 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm the proud owner of one AR15 (Bushmaster) and one FN/FAL (G1).  I built/assembled both of the rifles at home.  If you REALLY want to learn something about gunsmithing, build a FAL.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 5:20:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I have both.  My FAL shoots 1moa so its a keeper.  I also had two preban ARs but traded one for a Robinson M96 and I am glad I did.  I like the M96 much better than the AR.  I have owned ARs since around 1967 or so and I used them for years in the USMC but if I had to choose between a M96 and an AR I would choose the M96.  I would also trade my remaining AR for a M96 recon if I had the opportunity because it is such a great gun. :)
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 6:05:02 PM EDT
[#31]
After having 5 and a half AR's of different configurations I needed a new addiction and had been eyeing the DSA FALS for the last couple years.  I finally took the plunge and got my first FAL a year ago, and then got a second:

DSA STG58A Type 1 with 18" barrel and short brake:

DSA SA58 Standard:

Semper Fi
Jeff
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#32]
I still ahve more ARs than FALs, but since I picked up a couple of handpick G1 kits and a Grade I Imbel kit, my FAL collection will almost catch up when I finish building those three. I'd really like to get an Izzy HB, too.

Current FALs:

StG-58 (Minty kit on Gear logo Imbel with DSA QD bipod)

Argy parts with Izzy furniture on Entreprise Imbel

Link Posted: 4/13/2002 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#33]
I got a 16" Bushmaster and a STG58 FN/FAL from DSA.    
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 2:57:31 AM EDT
[#34]
I got the 10 pack of new mags. I also want to change to the hooded sight. Is it real hard to do?
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I got the 10 pack of new mags. I also want to change to the hooded sight. Is it real hard to do?

It's a snap if you buy the entire sight assembly, just note the relative position and slide the old one out after removing one of the windage adjusting screws.  It only comes out one way, I think it's to the right but can't remember for sure.  If you buy just the sight alone you'll need a small pin punch to drive out the retaining pin at the front of the sight base slide in order to slip the original one off.  There's a z-spring beneath the sight that tensions the locking button.  You'll be very close when you go to re-zero the rifle.

The hooded ones come in two heights, Belgian and Israeli.  An STG58 will take the Belgian (shorter) one unless you replace the front sight at the same time.  DSA will make sure you get the right pieces.
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 7:52:22 PM EDT
[#36]
An FN (C1-A1)was the first military longarm that I ever shot.  My fascination with FNs and similar type rifles, started the moment that I squeezed the trigger on the Canadian model that day.  It took me 8 years, but I got my hands on an Argentine, pre-ban, FN and love it!  My Argentine is the "crown jewel" of my collection.  I have had several AR-15s, since I became familiar with these type of weapons, while in the Army.  AR-15s are alot of fun, but I'd take my FN in a time of crisis, hands down!
Link Posted: 4/14/2002 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Beercop,

Hey, that's the regs.  If you don't like it and don't want to abide by it, that's cool with me.  The man asked a question and I answered it.  None of us on the FAL Files likes it either and the whole issue of compliance, let alone legality and enforceability , has been heavily debated.  And the same goes for attaching pre-ban AR uppers to post-ban lowers.  I'm sure no one here likes it but I'd guess most people still comply.

The government will always make more laws including registeration of guns and eventually confisticating them. They will make the law because they know people will follow them. They make the law under the pressure of MMM'ers... I know most of you guys hate the law but im surprised to see that some people following them religously.... Some talk of revolutions and civil disobedience but how can we have a revolution when people follow these laws infringing on our rights? Imagine if one day suddenly every gunshop decided to stop complying to the gun control act of 1968, how will the government enforce it then? I doubt they will shut down ALL gunshops. Lets just take my high school for example. In my senior year my high school decided to force everyone to wear ID's on our neck like what companies makes people do (you cant clip them on...) and for a year we complied. When I left someone told me that the following year NO ONE (not even the teachers) complied to the stupid rule, and the principal cant just expell everyone, so basically it was useless, you see what I am getting at?
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 6:14:58 AM EDT
[#38]
rahimiv, chrisgene,

As I said before, the man asked a question.  You're both preaching to the choir as far as I'm concerned.  Whether or not you or he agrees with the laws doesn't mean he shouldn't at least be informed of them.  WTF?  If someone didn't know he couldn't mate pre-ban parts with post-ban receivers, you wouldn't tell them?  If you want to rant, that's great.  But don't use me as the object of your wrath.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#39]
DavidC:

That looks like a Leupold-Gilmore red dot scope on your carbine.  How do you like it and how does it work?  How does it compare to an Aimpoint?  They are on sale around here for about what an Aimpoint costs.

Rob
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Just started building my first FAL.  Entreprise reciever with an Imbel kit.  Can't wait to finish it.  Already planning on building a couple more because it's one of the few things we can do here in Kali.  I almost feel like I'm cheating on my ARs.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#41]
How about an AR-7 owner who wants a FAL?
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 9:26:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Along with several AR's I too own an FAL. I have the DSA SA-58 Limited Edition Lightweight Carbine.

.308 in a carbine battle rifle is definately fun to shoot with.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#43]
2 things here.....

I have told this before, but when we had our big earthquake last year, I came out of bed and went STRAIGHT for the DSA STG.....

Last friday I went to the Black rifle shoot (www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=109459) with a NIB, never shot by me, DSA STG. I thought I did quite alright, and the gas system was factory set GREAT! DSA did a quality job on these, and I am truly in love....
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 3:14:43 AM EDT
[#44]
I sold my HK-91 for a Springfield Armory SAR-48 about 15 years ago and have never had a regret about doing so. I've also had my model 6600 AR-15 just a bit longer and have never had a hiccup with either weapon. Both are fun as hell to shoot and as to which one would I choose if the SHTF... Well now that my son is old enough..I'd let him carry the AR...I'd carry the FN...and the wife would carry my AR carbine... on second thought, I'm getting old, I'll carry the AR and my son can carry the FN,then again, I could let my wife carry the FN, I could carry the carbine.......
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 4:04:33 AM EDT
[#45]
For those of you who may be looking for a nice stock set for your FAL there is a group buy for laminate stock sets from ironwood on falfiles heres the link: www.falfiles.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=010971
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:44:53 AM EDT
[#46]
BatMasterson -

The LG works pretty much like any similar Red Dot. This one is the 2 MOA (IIRC) and works fairly well.  I've put glass on the StG since that picture was taken.

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#47]
My first FAL was a 50.00 Steyr import, then I bought an early Springfield SAR48 (S/N 14xx) which became my favorite and led to the eventual sale of the 50.00.  I recently added a very slightly used preban Colt Sport Target and am becoming reacquainted with the AR after a lapse of 29 years -- the USMC let me use an M16A1 for a few years in the early '70s.  I had the opportunity to fire the C1 and the L1A1 during cross-training exercises with the Canadians and the Brits and fell in love with the FAL for its ergonomics and simplicity, despite the weight.

My new-to-me AR is a great weapon, but my favorite still remains the FAL.  

BRS
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#48]
This is a great thread.  I've got 3 AR's and am looking to purchases a DSA STG-58.  Should I get the full size(21" barrel) or the carbine (18" barrel?

Spambo
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 4:00:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Used to have an Ishapore FAL clone, now have an AR subcarbine.  IMO the FAL is a great mechanical design but suffers from the following from a modern point of view:

1) lack of straightline buttstock to reduce time spent pointing at the sky
2) the standard models are longer than most home furnishings
3) Lack of rail attachments.

I understand that DSA has solved 2 and 3 nicely, and light bullets fired through a muzzle brake to deflect gases upward would go a long way towards fixing #1.

OTOH, a flattop AR carbine does all the above without fuss at the expense of plenty o energy.  For me the choice depends entirely on whether you need more oomph than a .22.

And if you do, and you're in Canada, you're better off with an M1 Garand - 8 rounds, nonrestricted, as opposed to the FAL - 5 rounds, prohibited.  

But yeah, I loved the FAL for just plinking and stuff.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Used to have an Ishapore FAL clone, now have an AR subcarbine.  IMO the FAL is a great mechanical design but suffers from the following from a modern point of view:

1) lack of straightline buttstock to reduce time spent pointing at the sky

Actually, a straight line stock is available.  It the pictures above, the Austrian STG-58 FAL variant has a straight line stock.  Very useful when a scope is mounted.  As far as accessory mounts, what else do you need besides the sights?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top