Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2002 3:06:39 AM EDT
One of my friends will be getting a Barret .50 cal rifle sometime this summer.  We dont know what scope to put on it.  In other words, will any scopes have any problem "holding up" under the massive recoil?  Wich scopes will be able to handle it?

thanks
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 3:11:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Which one?
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 3:13:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Alot of 50cal shooters like the Night Force Optics scopes.

These are REALLY nice scopes!!!

While I am partial to Leupold 90% of the time, these scopes are the ONLY game for 50 cal. stuff (at least when compared to Leupold).

They have very large objective lenses which allow for more light to pass throught the scope.

DON'T go cheap on optics I don't think you can beat these!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 3:15:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 3:20:16 AM EDT
[#4]
He is trying to decide between the semi and the bolt.  Not for sure about the model numbers.  We looked at some springfield armory scopes.  He is just concerned about a scope being durable enough for the heavy recoil.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 3:26:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
He is trying to decide between the semi and the bolt.  Not for sure about the model numbers.  We looked at some springfield armory scopes.  He is just concerned about a scope being durable enough for the heavy recoil.

The lightforce scopes are very common among 50 cal shooters. These are considered to be the best for 50 cal competition. I don't know about the springfield scopes, sorry.

I'm not sure but I think I also remember something about Shepard scope being a commonly used 50 cal scope.

Link Posted: 4/12/2002 3:49:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Given much thought to the scope that Barrett uses? No matter how what, you are going to spend alot of money on the optics for this rifle. Check out the 10X42 Swarovski scope that Barrett sells with their rifles. It has a ranging reticle, and is tough enough to take thousands of rounds. Unless you're planning on doing some bench rest shooting with this thing, I would probably stay away from match grade optics, and stick with the more durable field grade stuff.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:16:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't know about the scope question, but I was thinking about getting a Barrett a while back and eventually suppressing it (yes, they make suppressors for them - AWC Turbodyne is one example). Suppossedly a suppressed 50 requeires no hearing protection.

Well, with a bolt-action, your OK. But with the semi, you would be creating an illegal SAW, since the suppressor is considered a very efficient flash-suppressor. The Barret already has the pistol-grip and detachable mag for the 2 allowable evil-features. The Barrett is definitely post-ban.

But, I understand, the semi has a bit less recoil because of the Browing-like barrel movement. Of course, the suppressor is also supposed to help with the recoil.

The noise it still there, though. So it would still be definite a crowd-pleaser, and cool as shit with the suppressor. You could always take the can off for the full effect.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 6:51:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Tasco Super Sniper

What kind of scope is that? It's a Tasco SS10X42. The scope in the picture above has survived over 1000 rounds so far, and has not had any problems. For $300, it's a heck of a deal. Check out SWFA for their deals on the Tasco Super Sniper series of scopes.

Link Posted: 4/12/2002 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Don't know about the scope question, but I was thinking about getting a Barrett a while back and eventually suppressing it (yes, they make suppressors for them - AWC Turbodyne is one example). Suppossedly a suppressed 50 requeires no hearing protection.

Well, with a bolt-action, your OK. But with the semi, you would be creating an illegal SAW, since the suppressor is considered a very efficient flash-suppressor. The Barret already has the pistol-grip and detachable mag for the 2 allowable evil-features. The Barrett is definitely post-ban.

But, I understand, the semi has a bit less recoil because of the Browing-like barrel movement. Of course, the suppressor is also supposed to help with the recoil.

The noise it still there, though. So it would still be definite a crowd-pleaser, and cool as shit with the suppressor. You could always take the can off for the full effect.

Hey man I don't know who fed you that line of crap about the suppressor helping with the recoil and not having to wear ear protection  but he lied to you.

My brother in law use to work for Barrett's in Murfreesboro TN. He did the welding on the barrels and also test fired them. When they tried out the suppressors for the military they didn't work too good.

Ear protection is a MUST and the suppressor makes the rifle kick like a mule. Much harder then without it. I use to go to thier range with him, I'm friends with Ronnie Barrett, and I've tested quite a few 82A1 semi autos. I fired one twice with a suppressor and I wouldn't do it again. Plus the sound is still VERY loud. It would help at a 1000 yd shot but it's nothing like a 45 cal pistol with a suppressor..LOL

Hope this info helps you out before you get your hopes up and waste money buying a suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 1:43:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey man I don't know who fed you that line of crap about the suppressor helping with the recoil and not having to wear ear protection  but he lied to you.

My brother in law use to work for Barrett's in Murfreesboro TN. He did the welding on the barrels and also test fired them. When they tried out the suppressors for the military they didn't work too good.

Ear protection is a MUST and the suppressor makes the rifle kick like a mule. Much harder then without it. I use to go to thier range with him, I'm friends with Ronnie Barrett, and I've tested quite a few 82A1 semi autos. I fired one twice with a suppressor and I wouldn't do it again. Plus the sound is still VERY loud. It would help at a 1000 yd shot but it's nothing like a 45 cal pistol with a suppressor..LOL

Hope this info helps you out before you get your hopes up and waste money buying a suppressor.

I stand corrected, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I've had problems with my Springfield scope on a .50. First the illuminator fell apart, but that could be fixed with some loctite on the little screws that came loose. Then the reticle started to rotate. This is after only several hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 1:07:48 AM EDT
[#12]
We , at the M.P.Carabinieri GIS , had some Barretts Swarovsky mounted , many of these scopes are out of service due the broken reticles.

For my personal experience also the Springfield scopes are not good at all , above all with this caliber.

The only good choices'd be S.& B. and NXS scopes

just my 0.2 Eurocents,
PP out
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 6:12:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Might want to check out US Optics.

www.usoptics.com/index.html

Also may want to go to Snipers Hide and Snipers Paradise and read all of the info found in each of their respective "Optics" catagories. All the heavy hitters are discussed and reviewed by those interested and those that own.

Good luck.

www.snipersparadise.com/sniperchat.htm

www.snipershide.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Link Posted: 4/13/2002 8:23:07 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Might want to check out US Optics.

I agree. I drool over their scopes on a regular basis at my local gun store. They simply reek of high quality, but unfortunately are priced accordingly.
Link Posted: 4/13/2002 8:48:20 AM EDT
[#15]
http://www.gungoodies.com
They carry a line called "Professional"
these are the most rugged scopes I have ever seen.  You could beat a bear to death with these scopes and they would still function.  He sells a large number to .50 cal shooters.
good luck
DA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top