Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2002 10:41:41 AM EDT
Another thread has me interested in RRA's Varmint upper.  Standard twist rate on the upper is 1:8 but the 24" version has the option for 1:12.  First at what length does the .223 bullet start to slow down?  Second, what is the optimum bullet weight for each twist rate?  Third, is there a weight that is more accurate at a certain range than others?  

I know thats allot to ask, but any help is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Any takers?
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 1:58:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll be a taker,

O.K....let me see if I can remember some things and explain this.

I don't think there is a definative answer to "what length does a 223 bullet slow down". This, I believe, is because no one has tried to find out.

Regarding bullets weights. I *think* about 40 grains or about is good in the 1:12 barrels and bullets upto 80 grains in the 1:8.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:23:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Read the ammo FAQ in the ammunition forum here.  It goes into twist rates and bullet weights.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 4:47:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the RRA upper you are describing.  I have been using  69 gr sierra bullets in it with superb accuracy
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 6:11:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys, thats just what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 4/12/2002 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Note that twist rate is linked to bullet LENGTH not weight (but since most rounds are lead they tend to have a correlation).  I posted some good information on this recently in the Ammo forum (formulas & web links).  Here is the thread www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=107772
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top