Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2002 11:50:33 PM EDT
I know that Wolf ammo in an AR is verboten,  but do Glocks have similar problems with the lacquer-coated cases?

I need some cheap practice ammo, and the Wolf seems to be the cheapest right now...

TIA
GS
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 4:20:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I will never purchase the Wolf .223 due to experiencing problems (many of which have been discussed).
After about 500 rounds of Wolf .45 in a Glock 21, there were about 4 rounds that did not fire. Although it seemed like good plinking ammo, I stopped using it as I read the Wolf ammo does cause the extractor to wear faster and since this is the item used for protection, I did not want to take any chances causing any potential problems.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 4:44:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I am a Glock Armorer and I sell and shoot Wolf Ammo. The only thing you will have to be concerned with about ammo and Glocks is that you do not shoot solid lead bullets. The steel laquered cases will not harm your pistol and while I have also read about the extractor wear I have not seen thi to be a problem in my weapons. I have a Glock 19 that I shoot Wolf in almost exclusively and after at least 3k rounds I have yet to experience any problems. Lucky? Maybe.
In the end it is up to you on the ammo you choose to shoot. I choose the cheapest ammo  because I like to shoot. The more I shoot, the better I get. The better I get, the happier I am. It is good to be happy.

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:37:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Only problems I have experienced with wolf in my glock 23 is the occasional Failure to fire. Must be hard primers or something.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I've only shot Wolf out of my HK .45, and after 2 rounds, I had a FTE everytime!!
Between the HK barrel having tighter tolerences then your average off the rack handgun, the huge amount carbon that these bullets give off (even after 2 rounds) and the coating around the steel casing, AND the amount of expansion that occurs with these cheap ass bullets(casings), there just wasn't any room for the bullet to come out!!

Don't waste your time, if you spend 10 minutes on the web and buy in bulk (500 to 1000 rounds) you can find good ammo for not that much more then wolf.  

Of course, you bought a glock, so I guess using wolf ammo fits thats picture.

Your call
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#5]
glock armorer also, and i will second that.  glocks have slightly more forgiving chamber tolerances for reliability reasons, so lacquer buildup will not be a problem,as in tighter chambered pistols, again not to beat it to death, but, DO NOT SHOOT LEAD CAST BULLETS. it will digest anything else you can put through it with no problems.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Of course, you bought a glock, so I guess using wolf ammo fits thats picture.

Your call

OUCH! the gauntlet has been thrown.
in my opinion, my USP IS a better made sidearm, but i usually carry a 19c with nitesights and a +2 baseplate on a nondropfree mag.  18 rounds of =p= speer should do the trick. i just like glocks.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
DO NOT SHOOT LEAD CAST BULLETS. it will digest anything else you can put through it with no problems.

Does Wolf ammo use lead cast bullets?
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Point well made by a HK owner.

HK=Fussy range queen

Glock=Reliable combat tool
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 11:59:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

HK=Fussy range queen

As an owner of a USP .40, USP .45 and a Glock 19. I would disagree but I am not in the mood to get into this again.

ford vs. chevy
coke vs. pepsi

I've come to the conclusion that both are very well made tools and I've never had a single problem with any listed here.

Link Posted: 4/10/2002 12:04:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
DO NOT SHOOT LEAD CAST BULLETS. it will digest anything else you can put through it with no problems.

Does Wolf ammo use lead cast bullets?

no, i was just warning you to stay away from those, wolf uses jacketed bullets.  i would recommend wolf ammo for casual plinking in a glock i have put a couple of 1000 rounds through my 22 and 19 with only one or two failures (primer related) but as always, do what is most comfortable for you and don't let anyone else tell you what's right for you to shoot
(except wolf ammo out of an ar and cast lead reloads out of a glock)
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I've come to the conclusion that both are very well made tools and I've never had a single problem with any listed here.

well said oilhead, they both serve their purposes well.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

HK=Fussy range queen

Even though your making fun of my favorite handgun, that was some funny shit!

I don't know why I started this battle now, maybe cause I'm at work and I don't have much to do today. I used to own a Glock 17 for the record. I bought it used, and where there was metal to metal contact, the metal was starting to crack and brake and it looked like an accident waiting to happen. For the record, it was an factory restored cop gun. Came with 2 17 round clips. My buddy bought a new glock 21 and I'm just not impressed with glocks, even after shooting brand new .45, not to say it wouldn't save my life, its a buyers market and I choose HK.
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 4:59:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm always in the minority concerning Wolf, but my Bushmaster and my Glock 19 both love it.
My Kahr MK9 also eats it all day long.

Besides, you know you can't break a Glock!
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 7:28:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HK=Fussy range queen

As an owner of a USP .40, USP .45 and a Glock 19. I would disagree but I am not in the mood to get into this again.

ford vs. chevy
coke vs. pepsi

I would have to agree.....
I have both (awainting 10 days on the USP) and they are both good guns.

Although I do like stirring the pot when it comes to Ford vs. Chevy vs. MOPAR.

Its much more fun that way.......

besides who would I beat
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:18:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a Glock 22. I have heard before that you aren't supposed to shoot cast lead in a Glock. Is there a specific reason why?
CAPITALIST
Link Posted: 4/11/2002 8:48:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have a Glock 22. I have heard before that you aren't supposed to shoot cast lead in a Glock. Is there a specific reason why?
CAPITALIST

the excessive leading due to the octogonal rifling in a glock barrel as well as the way a glock feeds will cause lead to shave off in the action and upper portion of the magazine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top